SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 3 UND at the big SDSU

geaux_sioux

Coach Long is a smart man, you don't want to throw fuel on the fire. If he were to come out and laugh about playing UND like many Aztec fans are chances are that will motivate our players even more and he doesn't want a repeat of what Cal Poly did to SDSU 2 years ago. You take every game seriously or else you are setting yourself up for failure.

I listened to the Muss presser last night on our local Fox News. The tone in which he conducts a presser is night and day compared to Bohl. Bohl give you the sense that his team is good, he knows it and they know and they will have a great opportunity to win (each game). Muss sounded like it'll be nice to go to San Diego for a little vacation and used the word "fun"! My family uses that term when we head to Disney World.

• Upvote 3

I listened to the Muss presser last night on our local Fox News. The tone in which he conducts a presser is night and day compared to Bohl. Bohl give you the sense that his team is good, he knows it and they know and they will have a great opportunity to win (each game). Muss sounded like it'll be nice to go to San Diego for a little vacation and used the word "fun"! My family uses that term when we head to Disney World.

One thing you must remember is how 'coached up' Bohl is as far as media and persona go. He's like a greasy politician from the south who will charm your pants off and make you forget where your tax dollars just went while he's on some island beach. He can charm like Bill Clinton.

I do think Mussman could empower his team a little better even if to him it is bs. Public perception (confidence) can seep into a locker room and make a team believe just an ounce more, which could be the difference.

Maybe Mussman is a 'behind closed doors' kind of coach like Belichick and gives the media absolutely no feel for what he or his team thinks/feels? Playing possum? To media 'Silly little UND going to play big bad SDSU, hopefully we can get a suntan out of the game....' To team 'We're going there for a business trip. We're gonna play our game and kick their ass and show everyone how good we are.'

I don't believe oldAztec86 was being arrogant and pompous with his post. I believe he was just being a bit sarcastic in a response to another post. While I agree we don't want posters here that do nothing but stir the pot, it's ok to have a little back and forth with out getting out of line, which seemed to be the case here. Just my opinion...so carry on with the game discussion. :)

That is exactly right. Those that criticized me for trolling, failed to recognize that I (and another poster) were simply responding in kind to a silly post about our All American tight end. I have nothing but respect for North Dakota, but respect is a two way street.

• Upvote 2

Maybe Mussman is a 'behind closed doors' kind of coach like Belichick and gives the media absolutely no feel for what he or his team thinks/feels? Playing possum? To media 'Silly little UND going to play big bad SDSU, hopefully we can get a suntan out of the game....' To team 'We're going there for a business trip. We're gonna play our game and kick their ass and show everyone how good we are.'

For those old enough to remember back in the 70's when Livingston State (now West Alabama) came to Grand Forks complaining how it wasn't going to be a fair game due to UND's cold climate advantage and then clobbered the Sioux. Headline the following day in the GF Herald "Snow Job". I don't think most Nodaks knew that northern Alabama can get cold and it snows almost every year.

That is exactly right. Those that criticized me for trolling, failed to recognize that I (and another poster) were simply responding in kind to a silly post about our All American tight end. I have nothing but respect for North Dakota, but respect is a two way street.

At least you got it and responded with sarcasm. Some people are too serious on this board when it comes to posters from other schools

• Upvote 2

At least you got it and responded with sarcasm. Some people are too serious on this board when it comes to posters from other schools

Sometime the first victim of rabid fanhood is a loss of humor. I appreciate you getting that I got it. Go Aztecs. I hope every kid comes out of this healthy and both teams do well in their conference play.

Maybe he is - then go down there and call a game that gives us a chance to win. No repeat of last year where he totally wussed out (actually, I wish it was only one game - this has been a pattern of his). I'm not sure what Muss is like in the locker room, but on the field at game day he needs to strap on a pair.

• Upvote 2

Maybe he is - then go down there and call a game that gives us a chance to win. No repeat of last year where he totally wussed out (actually, I wish it was only one game - this has been a pattern of his). I'm not sure what Muss is like in the locker room, but on the field at game day he needs to strap on a pair.

I don't know if UND has ever had a coach with Les Miles(who is the man) type balls ever.

Sometime the first victim of rabid fanhood is a loss of humor. I appreciate you getting that I got it. Go Aztecs. I hope every kid comes out of this healthy and both teams do well in their conference play.

I apologize, it's tough to know the "tone" of a text post. Many of us are just tired of having to deal with trolls that come here and ruin discussions with pompous comments and constant smack. Not saying yours was in that category. If we were face to face at a tailgate with a beer it would be more enjoyable to give each other some guff about our teams.

I seem to remember Muss going for it on 4th down near to goal line against NIU. I believe that it was orginally called a TD, but it was reversed after looking at the replay. Plus the team was in position to win the game at the end.

I remember several times UND going for it on 4th down against USD recently. I think if UND had the QBs and WR that they have today against Fresno he would go for it. But, I think that he made the right call. I believe that it was 4th and 15 at the FSU 42 with 3:22 left in the game. If the defense would have held on the 3rd and 1 play on the 19 - UND would have got the ball back with about 2:00 left near the UND 40. He put the game in the hands of the special teams and defense to make a play. Not a bad option - they were the strength of the team last year.

• Upvote 3

I seem to remember Muss going for it on 4th down near to goal line against NIU. I believe that it was orginally called a TD, but it was reversed after looking at the replay. Plus the team was in position to win the game at the end.

I remember several times UND going for it on 4th down against USD recently. I think if UND had the QBs and WR that they have today against Fresno he would go for it. But, I think that he made the right call. I believe that it was 4th and 15 at the FSU 42 with 3:22 left in the game. If the defense would have held on the 3rd and 1 play on the 19 - UND would have got the ball back with about 2:00 left near the UND 40. He put the game in the hands of the special teams and defense to make a play ie. Not a bad option - they were the strength of the team last year.

I agree he got too much blame. When you have no passing game to speak of It's tough to justify 4th and long. He should satisfy most fans this season since he has some talent to work with at QB.

Sometime the first victim of rabid fanhood is a loss of humor.

Agree.

I hope every kid comes out of this healthy and both teams do well in their conference play.

Agree even more.

Now touch gloves, go back to your corners, come out at the bell, and let's have a good clean game. Wait, SDSU, you can stay in your corner. ;):D

I remember several times UND going for it on 4th down against USD recently. I think if UND had the QBs and WR that they have today against Fresno he would go for it. But, I think that he made the right call. I believe that it was 4th and 15 at the FSU 42 with 3:22 left in the game. If the defense would have held on the 3rd and 1 play on the 19 - UND would have got the ball back with about 2:00 left near the UND 40. He put the game in the hands of the special teams and defense to make a play. Not a bad option - they were the strength of the team last year.

I think we agree to disagree - I think Mussman has wussed out on multiple occasions - hopefully we are fully loaded now we can change this. It pains me to say it, but the Bison have gone into their FBS games with a much more aggressive attitude and it has payed off. Muss needs to win a big one and soon. Rebuilding is over.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't say that's Bohl's swagger helps the ndac win games against fbs schools in as much as they play teams that suck and usually suck bad

ball state 2006 5-7

central michigan 2007 8-6

minnesota 2007 1-11

kansas 2010 3-9

minnesota 2011 3-9

colorado state 2012 (we will see how they finish plus about six starters shouldn't have even played in this game anyways)

I wouldn't say that's Bohl's swagger helps the ndac win games against fbs schools in as much as they play teams that suck and usually suck bad

ball state 2006 5-7

central michigan 2007 8-6

minnesota 2007 1-11

kansas 2010 3-9

minnesota 2011 3-9

colorado state 2012 (we will see how they finish plus about six starters shouldn't have even played in this game anyways)

Good point, but we haven't exactly player world-beaters. We need to take it up a notch and that starts with the game plan.