SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 3 UND at the big SDSU

geaux_sioux

UND has an opportunity to play a pretty good FBS team that will end up in a bowl game this week. This game could be winnable much like the Northern Illinois game was when they were a team that finished in the top 25.

SDSU won big against Army even though the stats would suggest that it was a closer game than what the score shows. WR Ezell Ruffin had a big game with 5 rec for 134 yrds, QB was 15-21 for 215 1TD, and RBs Muema and Kazee combined for 151 yards and 2 TDs. Their offense was balanced against Army so hopefully our D can relearn how to tackle and pressure the QB this week and give us a chance.

I'm assuming that SDSU will look at the film from the PSU game and not respect our ability to run which will hopefully open up some lanes for our backs to control the clock and help the defense out. I expect our WRs to be great all year no matter who we play which will lend itself well to our run game. If Hanson doesn't return I expect Hendrickson to continue to roll and make huge plays at key moments. If the hogs can wake up in the run game this week I think we can win the game, it comes down to them.

Prediction: SDSU 20 UND 26

Not trying to start a battle here, but I thought this was an interesting article linked to on their website.

http://sportsillustr...79266/index.htm

Its neat how regionalized everything used to be. Also interesting is SDSU played Cal Poly, Weber State, Fresno State, and Long Beach State in addition to NDSU that year. Up until a few years ago, NDSU was D2, Weber has been FCS for a while now, and Fresno is FBS while Long Beach dropped football in 1991.

When used about ethnic groups the term "Aztec" refers to several Nahuatl speaking peoples of central Mexico in the postclassic period of Mesoamerican chronology, especially the ethnic group that had a leading role in establishing the hegemonic empire based at Tenochtitlan, the Mexica.

While human sacrifice was practiced throughout Mesoamerica, the Aztecs, if their own accounts are to be believed, brought this practice to an unprecedented level. For example, for the reconsecration of the Great Pyramid of Tenochtitlan in 1487, the Aztecs reported that they sacrificed 84,400 prisoners over the course of four days, reportedly by Ahuitzotl, the Great Speaker himself.

I think the NCAA should be all over these guys about their nickname. :p

I agree Wearenodak, on the defensive side we will need to tackle at least 3x better if we want to have a chance. Although they have shown improvement our d-backs are going to need to step it up as well. Line play will need to get a push because we will need to pressure the QB more this week.

Offensively I am more than impressed with our passing game, what a transformation from recent years. So much talent! Our running backs had a poor game and they will need to rebound this week and I think they will.

Think about this, we won this game because of our passing game. This would not have been possible in recent years whether it be lack of solid QB's or receivers. That alone is very encouraging and I feel like we are capable of shoring up our current weaknesses each week because not too long ago they were our strengths.

Ok here is the keys to winning against a team that we shouldn't beat, first and fore most our offensive line has to come and play. Our guys by this time should be dang near their quality. As big as strong. Seriously we couldn't get Miller going? Come on!

Second where was Brenaman last game? (the whole d line) Hopefully were done pulling him away from football, and having him doing every interview. The guy is a dude, but when your constantly the face of the team? Really? I fore one am glad the mini series is over. Let these guys get back to just playing football, and of course school. They need a routine. We have the athletes to compete, but I feel the need to feed the sharks (us) is getting a litte too much. Seriously some of you people are emailling the football staff and the AD, come on!!

Social media is great , but some of you need to get a life! ?You are Not part of the team. Quit worrying about the fans? They'll come.

Let's go win one were not suppose too!!!!!!!!

And then watch them come

Ohh and by the way STOP The Run FIRST.

based on last week:

sdsu 42, und 34

better yet:

und blowout win 5%

und win 15%

sdsu win 50%

sdsu blowout win 30%

with a blowout being defined as a win of 18 points or more.

I'll give UND 24 points if the game is within 10 points. If SDSU puts up more than 50 I give UND up to 31 points. Judging by UND's defensive performance against Portland, I have a hard time believing they will win but stranger things have happened. If you can't play D against an FCS school, I just can't imagine that UND can slow down a seemingly OK FBS team.

I don't know what to make of this game. Obviously it will be an uphill battle. USA Today picked them to finish 2nd in the MWC this season. I don't know much about the Aztecs, but perusing their stats from the first two games, it appears that they want to run the ball. After the Portland St. game, I don't know if that is good or bad for North Dakota. It is definately a game that UND can win. But to do so, the O-Line absolutely has to create some openings for Jake Miller. To have a chance, he is going to have to bust off some big runs and surprise them like they did Fresno St. last year. And the whole team has to take less penalties in a game like this. I'm assuming the coaching staff is emphasising the importance of tackling this week. Reading their board, they are guessing a crowd anywhere from 15,000 to 28,000. Hardly an environment that should distract our guys at this point in their careers. I think it should be an entertaining game.