SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

1 hour ago, HawksHoops said:

I was never the biggest Red Pepper fan, but I decided to take my business elsewhere when I saw a Red Pepper billboard in Fargo that said "Go Bison".  That was a bridge too far for me.

Fair. I eat my share of grinders (maybe a few peoples shares) but I prefer a couple 3 - 4 cheese tostadas as a go to anyway. 

Couple places in Bismarck have the rights to the recipie, Ive been told, Landers conoco just butchers the heck out of it... not good.  

Stadium Bar is ok, ham is way off and bread is different but in a good way. I prefer it to Hornbachers and Hugos.

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Why is Hugo's suddenly unable to reliably supply the University and 42nd St locations?

Wouldn't it be the Fargo location that is causing the problems?  I would think they would want to use the same bread at all locations and with no Hugos in Fargo but a Hornbacher's in Grand Forks, I imagine they were looking to stream line supplies.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

Wouldn't it be the Fargo location that is causing the problems?  I would think they would want to use the same bread at all locations and with no Hugos in Fargo but a Hornbacher's in Grand Forks, I imagine they were looking to stream line supplies.  

Fargo location has never used Hugo's bread. Nobody complained about it because they were happy to take whatever they could get in Fargo. Issue seems to be the Wild Hog location. 

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Fargo location has never used Hugo's bread. Nobody complained about it because they were happy to take whatever they could get in Fargo. Issue seems to be the Wild Hog location. 

Well they don’t have to have bread for the Ralph in the summer.  Does that one location push Hugo’s over the edge?

Just now, tnt said:

Well they don’t have to have bread for the Ralph in the summer.  Does that one location push Hugo’s over the edge.  

The timing of the change certainly seems to coincide with the new location. 

20 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Fair. I eat my share of grinders (maybe a few peoples shares) but I prefer a couple 3 - 4 cheese tostadas as a go to anyway. 

Couple places in Bismarck have the rights to the recipie, Ive been told, Landers conoco just butchers the heck out of it... not good.  

Stadium Bar is ok, ham is way off and bread is different but in a good way. I prefer it to Hornbachers and Hugos.

I like Landers. It's so different from RP I don't even compare the 2 though. The Pier grinder is also pretty good, but again, nothing like RP. 

25 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I like Landers. It's so different from RP I don't even compare the 2 though. The Pier grinder is also pretty good, but again, nothing like RP. 

Evy at The Grinder Shop out in Bismarck had it perfected.  Better bread, twice the meat, exact same sauces.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Evy at The Grinder Shop out in Bismarck had it perfected.  Better bread, twice the meat, exact same sauces.  

Former UND athlete and good friends with Tellman. The Grinder was awesome...when I was living back in Bismarck there were a few post bar after hour trips with Evan to the Grinder. 

Then Jorgy had them at his bar for awhile.

On 5/11/2018 at 6:04 PM, UNDBIZ said:

Landers issue is too much moisture. If you get it to go, it basically melts the brown paper bag away withi a minute or too and you end up with a sloppy mess of wet bun, bits of paper and sauceslopping all over your shirt as you drive down the road.

i like landers for my morning coffee and a bag of minnows.....

And a six pack.

or two.

23 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Landers issue is too much moisture. If you get it to go, it basically melts the brown paper bag away withi a minute or too and you end up with a sloppy mess of wet bun, bits of paper and sauceslopping all over your shirt as you drive down the road.

It is definitely a sloppy grinder. Need 2 hands and several napkins. 

On 5/11/2018 at 5:59 PM, UNDBIZ said:

Anyone willing to throw away $6 trying it and reporting back to the rest of us? 

Still waiting for the word from Sprig.

Was at the Pep today and thought for a second about getting a grinder. Then I remembered I wouldn't even remember what the old bread taste like, as I'm more of a tostada kind of guy.

5 hours ago, Cratter said:

Still waiting for the word from Sprig.

Was at the Pep today and thought for a second about getting a grinder. Then I remembered I wouldn't even remember what the old bread taste like, as I'm more of a tostada kind of guy.

While I'm willing to cough up the $6, I'm not willing to choke down even one bite of anything close to what i ate the one time i had the "new"  bread.

17 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I was there this weekend and thought the bread was fine. Not as light as it previously was but I thought it was still good. YMMV though.

I had an everything grinder last weekend and it was fabulous.