SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky/WAC Merger

GeauxSioux

Idaho just needs to embrace the fact that they are an FCS type of school. Nothing wrong with that.

I believe the problem is that they still desperately want to believe they are an athletic peer, and in particular a football peer of Boise State. And not that many years ago, they were. But for it to happen again would likely require Boise State to crash down to earth, as opposed to Idaho improving to the extent that would be needed to get anywhere near Boise's current level. Dropping down to FCS would be seen as acceptance of the fact that Boise State has left them behind--a bitter pill to swallow, I'm sure.

Idaho just needs to embrace the fact that they are an FCS type of school. Nothing wrong with that.

I agree with you, but it's easy to say that from a distance. Imagine if we were Idaho and NDSU was Boise State. Would you "embrace" being left behind by NDSU? The right thing to do is not always the easy thing. I think if they did drop down to FCS, they would win more games and that would make the move easier to swallow. Losing is just no fun.

• Upvote 1

... Imagine if we were Idaho and NDSU was Boise State. Would you "embrace" being left behind by NDSU? ...

That is the best perspective on this situation I have heard.

its easy for us to hope to join Idaho & the Montanas, but Idaho (and Montana, by the way) was once a member of the Pacific Coast Conference - the same conference as the 6 teams that are now in the Pac 12 northern division.

to put the glove on the other hand, so to speak, it would be great for this to happen and hear the grinding of teeth as the NDSU fans trash this new conference alignment.

• Upvote 2

If this whole WAC scenario actually did play out, what kind of a timeframe would it have to be if UND were involved? NDSU seems more readily prepared for a move to the next level in football because of the seating in the FargoDome than UND is with the Alerus. If UND is seriously contemplating making that kind of leap, it would behoove them to get going on the 15,000+ stadium soon. Better yet, let's get that Practice Facility done first. With NDSU winning the championship last year, we would certainly get accused of the same thing some accused NDSU of after leaving DII, moving to the next level because they became the undercard in their home state.

What is the deal with New Mexico State? Never a rival against New Mexico? Isn't the state going to get involved if they move down to the FCS (or they don't care)? I can understand Idaho..crappy record year after year, tiny @ss dome (Fargodome is bigger), and no rival (unless its Idaho State because BSU has really moved on without them). You got two teams being left in the dust by other schools in their state, I agree with fightingsioux4life it would be like UND moving down while NDSU moves up. Idaho and NMSU deserves a stable conference (WAC is far from stable) and the BSC is the answer for them. They won't see a National Title ever...they may see a Bowl game once every decade or so. Come on down to the Big Sky NMSU and Idaho.

For NDSU (or SDSU) to do anything before their 8 years in Summit or MVFC is up would cost them $500k per conference. Yes, for NDSU to completely "jump ship" on both the Summit and MVFC before spending the full 8 years would cost them a total of $1,000,000.00. NDSU is through 4 of the 8 years. They 2016 season is the first season they could play outside the MVFC and not have to pay a buy-out.

And if you ask NDSU fans at Bisonville, the end game for them is full membership in the Missouri Valley.

For NDSU (or SDSU) to do anything before their 8 years in Summit or MVFC is up would cost them $500k per conference. Yes, for NDSU to completely "jump ship" on both the Summit and MVFC before spending the full 8 years would cost them a total of $1,000,000.00. NDSU is through 4 of the 8 years. They 2016 season is the first season they could play outside the MVFC and not have to pay a buy-out.

And if you ask NDSU fans at Bisonville, the end game for them is full membership in the Missouri Valley.

I thought the end game was the Big 10?

• Upvote 1

Idaho and NMSU deserves a stable conference (WAC is far from stable) ...

The WAC could be stable if their leadership had a plan to achieve it, and not just stop-gap quick-fixes.

The WAC has a few good things going for it still, like the exit fees that'll be coming in from some of the schools that bolted for the MWC will provide some nice cash over the next five years.

The WAC could be stable if their leadership had a plan to achieve it, and not just stop-gap quick-fixes.

The WAC has a few good things going for it still, like the exit fees that'll be coming in from some of the schools that bolted for the MWC will provide some nice cash over the next five years.

Could the WAC survive without football? Or just a basketball (and other sport) conference. What is the money making sport for them?

Could the WAC survive without football? Or just a basketball (and other sport) conference. What is the money making sport for them?

The WAC could become an Olympic sports (no FB) conference if conference members with FB could find homes for their programs (or survive as independents).

The WAC? Make money? Rofl_Board_1.gif

Oh, ... wait, ... were you serious?

As it sits now, I suspect the biggest revenue source for the WAC will be exit fees paid over five years from schools like Nevada and Fresno State or maybe MBB tournament dollars.

Bilo College Football Report

From WAC Media Day...

That was followed by a meeting with WAC Commissioner Jeff Hurd, who probably has one of the most difficult jobs in the FBS ranks this season. He is losing 5 members, leaving just 2, but he was as upbeat as ever heading into the season, and we were able to discover that he will be making an announcement in the next 2 to 3 weeks about possible new members joining the WAC for football. He could not give me any other details, as he is sworn to secrecy and is trying to prevent leaks. The news that there could be some new members on the horizon, and it seems like a lock now, was enough to peak our interest.

I hate that we don't have the facilities to make the move up, the Alerus was poorly planned.

The old rule was you had to have a 30,000 seat stadium. They changed the rule to "have to average 15,000 in attendance". Then they changed it to "average 15,000 one out of every two years".

I'm not sure when Alerus was planned during all that, but I'm pretty sure the planning was done before the "15k average" rule came around.

I thought based on all reports and basically this thread it's some Big Sky Schools. Isn't it a perfect opportunity for the Montana's dreams. They get to dictate a FBS conference!

The discussion of the WAC and the Big Sky merging didn't include football. In this discussion, all schools would remain in the Big Sky and FCS for football. None of the Big Sky schools, including the Montanas and UND, are ready for FBS. The general idea was to position the schools with FBS aspirations in a conference that could allow them to move up in the future. The idea being discussed in this thread included Idaho and New Mexico State remaining as independent FBS schools for a while, until the other schools are ready to move up. The idea that some Southeastern schools are going to join the WAC is a totally different discussion.

IMO, if Montana wouldn't join the WAC when schools like Nevada, Utah St., and Fresno were still part of it, they are not going to join what is left of the WAC now.

On either a related or unrelated note, Montana has a press conference scheduled for 11:00 today......................................

The discussion of the WAC and the Big Sky merging didn't include football. In this discussion, all schools would remain in the Big Sky and FCS for football. None of the Big Sky schools, including the Montanas and UND, are ready for FBS. The general idea was to position the schools with FBS aspirations in a conference that could allow them to move up in the future. The idea being discussed in this thread included Idaho and New Mexico State remaining as independent FBS schools for a while, until the other schools are ready to move up. The idea that some Southeastern schools are going to join the WAC is a totally different discussion.

No one really knows. Fullertons pipe dream of Idaho joining the big sky could have fallen through again. It could have been a front. The new plan could be for big sky schools to join the WAC. Montana could add a few sports and be FBS ready tomorrow. More ready than Idaho still is.

I never saw a plan to save Idaho football and nmsu from independence. But the plan apparently will come out soon. Doubt those two school would agree to stay Indy til "ya all are ready to join us sometime down the road".