SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky/WAC Merger

GeauxSioux

Really? you win a couple of games and that's proof of what? That you won a couple of games. You guys are so delusional - why don't you go win an important game and then we'll talk. After you guys couldn't take the success we had during our transition so you followed us into DI. Time to get off our coat tails and make a name for yourselves in the BSC. I won't hold my breath.

Are you for real?? Holy crap. You win a National Title, and win a bunch of games in transition, and you think UND is riding your coat tails. You first rode the coat tails of SDSU because THEY got you in the conference you are in. Not the other way around. Then USD is riding SDSU's coat tails because they are in the same conference as both of you...so that leaves UND in a conference you guys tried to get into twice. We are riding the coat tails of no one. By the way Dan before these past couple seasons...what did NDSU do.....3-8? Lets see what UND can do after transition...do we ride NDSU's coat tails and go 6-5 and 3-8 in the first 2 seasons after transition or do we make the playoffs in the first two like SDSU did.

• Upvote 1

Really? you win a couple of games and that's proof of what? That you won a couple of games. You guys are so delusional - why don't you go win an important game and then we'll talk. After you guys couldn't take the success we had during our transition so you followed us into DI. Time to get off our coat tails and make a name for yourselves in the BSC. I won't hold my breath.

Hey BD - this is a UND Fan Board on "Fan Boards" FANS of the team like to chat about "What ifs" and "What do you think about". We don't need a Troll Monitor to question every thing we post - sometimes it's just for fun because we are FANS of the team and school. Topics we post about are not always possible, probable or persuable - it's just for fun because we are FANS of the team/school. We don't need any big brother trolls to stop discussions. Geez you guys really can't get over us can you? Get counseling.
  • Upvote 3

This may be very hard to pull off but how about going forward we totally ignore the troll posts from certain NDSU fans; we all know who they are. So whenever these trolls post we simply carry on the conversation and pretend that the post never existed. This will be very tough but it seems that the only way we can get rid of them is by treating them like 5 year olds.

• Upvote 4

i read a lot about this today (slow day at work) and if montana and msu are for it (which it sounds like they are the ones pushing for it) then I'm all for it.....it puts the WAC on a couple of years of life support (while um/msu decide once and for all what they want to do) and if it doesn't work then um, msu, psu, sac, and und go back to the big sky (prolly along with idaho) and the wac dies and the bsc is the third and last western fb conf in the west...

not an expert on how many sports all these different schools need but yes that is funny that baseball could get us in....but if the wac needed one more sport some people were throwing around men's soccer? soccer? how about since denver already has lacrosse, why not lacrosse? probably just as cheap as soccer to start up but 1000 times more fun to watch!!!! sica??

The WAC, if it doesn't sponsor football, which it wouldn't under this notion (Idaho would be FBS indy; other schools would play Big Sky FCS FB), has to play MBB and two other mens team sports.

The options are baseball, hockey, lacrosse, soccer and I forget what else. (Tennis, golf, wrestling, track, CC, swimming, aren't team sports, but are considered individual sports.)

So yes, I'm in GeauxSioux's boat: Baseball, which I've advocated dropping in favor of lacrosse, could work to UND's advantage in this situation because the WAC is close to having enough baseball playing members. Maybe there is a good reason why they invested in Kraft Field.

The other thing I know: If Montana or Montana State foster FBS dreams they need to add two sports each. It's 14 sports to be DI (FCS); it's 16 sports to be FBS. The Montana schools are both at 14. Wouldn't it be a kick if they decided on lacrosse with Denver playing it already. The UND would probably have to relook at its mens sports alignment. (Correction: Montana is adding softball so they'll be at 15; MSU is at 15 as they sponsor womens skiing.)

Isn't UND an affiliate member of the WAC in swimming?

{DING!}

You are correct, sir.

Note the school of athlete number three of the four:

http://www.wacsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=45926&SPID=4116&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205429834&DB_OEM_ID=10100

Here's the WAC WIki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Athletic_Conference#Affiliate_members

... The Montana schools are both at 14. Wouldn't it be a kick if they decided on lacrosse with Denver playing it already. The UND would probably have to relook at its mens sports alignment. (Correction: Montana is adding softball so they'll be at 15; MSU is at 15 as they sponsor womens skiing.)

While lacrosse is more realistic, wouldn't it be a kick if Montana(s) added hockey? (Really, why else would they want to invite UND into the club?) After all, the NCHC footprint doesn't extend that far northwest yet ...

This article is from last week, but there are still some interesting quotes. The article is an interview with Jacksonville St. Head Football Coach. http://www.examiner.com/article/college-football-jacksonville-state-may-be-headed-to-the-wac

He seems to think the WAC is going to be adding some FCS schools.

It looks like there will be five or six FCS schools that are going to be pulled into the bottom of the WAC

The WAC is holding their football media day this Thursday. It will be interesting to see if anymore news comes from that. Also, the interim WAC Commissioner has been quoted as saying the WAC had 30 days to make some decisions. The interview he stated it in was in the first week of July.

Since Star isn't posting here anymore, I will share a couple of his recent posts from other message boards. I have no idea if he is connected or has reliable sources, but it is fun to read and speculate. Here a re couple of links to where Star..er I mean "Siouxfan" is posting:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=9153461

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=9158548&p=2

From sources that I can not reveal, there are four Big Sky schools Presidents that are very tightly knit and are planning "bigger things":

Montana's Engstrom

Montana State's Cruzado

Portland State's Weiwel

North Dakota

This article is from last week, but there are still some interesting quotes. The article is an interview with Jacksonville St. Head Football Coach. http://www.examiner....aded-to-the-wac

He seems to think the WAC is going to be adding some FCS schools.

The WAC is holding their football media day this Thursday. It will be interesting to see if anymore news comes from that. Also, the interim WAC Commissioner has been quoted as saying the WAC had 30 days to make some decisions. The interview he stated it in was in the first week of July.

And people say UND is an outlier.... An Alabama school in the WAC?