SiouxSports.com Forum

Building UND Athletics

GeauxSioux

Be careful not to double-count the money. Just saying.

$50,000,000 per year times 6 years equals $300,000,000. They had some better success in some years, not quite as much in others. Not sure where I'm double counting. This includes all fundraising for the University including athletics, education, facilities, etc. The Foundation believes that they can continue fundraising $40-50,000,000 per year going forward. But thanks for your interest in UND.

if that number is accurate ralph is spinning in his grave

Guarantee it's accurate. I have no reason to lie.

One could say it would be "smart" to use funds say to buy a Betty and or upgrade things instead of giving it to the athletic department because the athletic department has the option to then use institutional funds. If the Ralph gave more the department wouldn't be able to go to the "school" and ask for those funds...for right or wrong. This is a way to get " extra" money into the athletic department.

You do realize that Ralph's trust still owns and operates the building. Ralph's daughter is on the board of the trust that operates the building.

first just because she's ralphs daughter doesn't mean she has the business sense and foresight that made a "normal" kid from trf into a millionaire...the silver spoon in her mouth might get in the way of saying something meaningful during those board meetings...second is i doubt she and the trust have the love and passion for und like ralph did.

Kris Engelstad McGarry is a multimillionaire on her own. She had a strong mentor.

Very true, Sic. Kris is an amazing woman in her own right and has exhibited the same values, work habits and business acumen of her father, and has demonstrated the same traits that made both her parents such gracious, giving people. Her kids are lucky to have had role models like her and their grandparents.

I just love it when people speak from ignorance. :glare:

first just because she's ralphs daughter doesn't mean she has the business sense and foresight that made a "normal" kid from trf into a millionaire...the silver spoon in her mouth might get in the way of saying something meaningful during those board meetings...second is i doubt she and the trust have the love and passion for und like ralph did.

Do you have any experience running a facility? Do you know anything about running an athletic department? Do you know anyone on the board that runs REA? Did you know that Earl Strinden is still part of that board, and that he is the one that talked Ralph into making the donation? He was also Speaker of the House for the North Dakota Legislature for many years. Do you know Jody Hodgson or Chris Semrau, the general manager and the Director of Events, or know how much time and effort they put into running the complex? Did you know that Semrau was one of the first employees hired? Do you have any knowledge or experience that would let you speak intelligently on the subject rather than making broad accusations?

Do you have any experience running a facility? Do you know anything about running an athletic department? Do you know anyone on the board that runs REA? Did you know that Earl Strinden is still part of that board, and that he is the one that talked Ralph into making the donation? He was also Speaker of the House for the North Dakota Legislature for many years. Do you know Jody Hodgson or Chris Semrau, the general manager and the Director of Events, or know how much time and effort they put into running the complex? Did you know that Semrau was one of the first employees hired? Do you have any knowledge or experience that would let you speak intelligently on the subject rather than making broad accusations?

no to most and yes to some....i'm just saying that if 500k is all they can generate with two buildings like that for the und athletic department there is something wrong over there...and if ralph were still around he would do something about it...

no to most and yes to some....i'm just saying that if 500k is all they can generate with two buildings like that for the und athletic department there is something wrong over there...and if ralph were still around he would do something about it...

I'm pretty sure that number fluctuates depending on the year. For instance, during the past year they had extra expenses due to the name change. But you have no proof that there is "something wrong over there", that is just a guess that you are making because you have an impression that they "should be making more". You really don't know what they should be making any more than any of us on the forum. And you don't know what additional services they are providing to UND Athletics as an in-kind donation. Remember, any services they provide below normal cost is money that UND doesn't have to spend. That is as good as a monetary donation.

I'm pretty sure that number fluctuates depending on the year. For instance, during the past year they had extra expenses due to the name change. But you have no proof that there is "something wrong over there", that is just a guess that you are making because you have an impression that they "should be making more". You really don't know what they should be making any more than any of us on the forum. And you don't know what additional services they are providing to UND Athletics as an in-kind donation. Remember, any services they provide below normal cost is money that UND doesn't have to spend. That is as good as a monetary donation.

you would be hard pressed to find two nicer guys than chris and jody and maybe there lies the problem....maybe the fat maybe needs to be trimmed a little at the ralph and betty and you need a hard ass to do that and chris and jody might be too nice to go around firing a few unneeded employees to improve the bottom line...

i'm just saying that if you talk to casual und fans (and i have the last couple of weeks) and ask them how much do you think the the ralph/betty make for the athletic departemnt each year and most if not all just say "millions"...granted myself and all the people i have asked haven't and don't run event facilites but there seems to be a big discrepancy between perception and reality on this one....

It's been several years so the details are a little foggy but Chris was the student body president at the time and wanted to get involved with the arena once it was built. He was in Vegas for something and arranged a meeting with Ralph which took place in one of the bars at the Imperial Palace. After their conversation Ralph invited him back to grand forks on his jet and he was hired when the building opened.

$50,000,000 per year times 6 years equals $300,000,000. They had some better success in some years, not quite as much in others. Not sure where I'm double counting. This includes all fundraising for the University including athletics, education, facilities, etc. The Foundation believes that they can continue fundraising $40-50,000,000 per year going forward. But thanks for your interest in UND.

I had a really long post typed up, but it probably would have been a waste of electrons. You all took my post wrong, but that was my fault for not being more clear. The UND Foundation has done an incredible job during the Spirit campaign and deserves nothing but praise. My comment was meant about potential unrealistic expectations based on numbers in press releases. The short explanation could best be delivered as a question: If the fantastic $325M total from the campaign includes immediate donations as well as future gifts, how much is in each category and will the $40M-$50M in future years include donations that were initially part of Spirit? It's an honest pair of questions. If the vast bulk of Spirit was in the form of immediate donations, then you should expect to see an immediate ~$300M impact on the university. But if a significant portion of the total was in the form of future giving, then it might take some time to see the full impact. And if money pledged as part of Spirit is also counted in the numbers for future years, that's where the double counting comment comes from.

In any case, I'm still yellow and green through and through, but I have no problem admitting the green is a little brighter lately out of envy for what your foundation has accomplished. Huzzahs* to them and the greater UND community.

Oh, and besides the whole "we are both major universities in a small state" sort of thing, I have a bunch of relatives that are UND graduates(1/2 the family is from NE ND) including one that is featured pretty prominently in your annual and lifetime donation lists. Hence the continued interest in UND.

*I've been teaching the Napoleonic Wars lately

I had a really long post typed up, but it probably would have been a waste of electrons. You all took my post wrong, but that was my fault for not being more clear. The UND Foundation has done an incredible job during the Spirit campaign and deserves nothing but praise. My comment was meant about potential unrealistic expectations based on numbers in press releases. The short explanation could best be delivered as a question: If the fantastic $325M total from the campaign includes immediate donations as well as future gifts, how much is in each category and will the $40M-$50M in future years include donations that were initially part of Spirit? It's an honest pair of questions. If the vast bulk of Spirit was in the form of immediate donations, then you should expect to see an immediate ~$300M impact on the university. But if a significant portion of the total was in the form of future giving, then it might take some time to see the full impact. And if money pledged as part of Spirit is also counted in the numbers for future years, that's where the double counting comment comes from.

In any case, I'm still yellow and green through and through, but I have no problem admitting the green is a little brighter lately out of envy for what your foundation has accomplished. Huzzahs* to them and the greater UND community.

Oh, and besides the whole "we are both major universities in a small state" sort of thing, I have a bunch of relatives that are UND graduates(1/2 the family is from NE ND) including one that is featured pretty prominently in your annual and lifetime donation lists. Hence the continued interest in UND.

*I've been teaching the Napoleonic Wars lately

The Spirit campaign was definitely a mix of current donations and pledges. Future pledges are always a part of the Foundation's fundraising efforts. I remember that many of the large donations in the past have been announced as pledges for the future rather than immediate cash. I think that this will continue in the future. Therefore, announcements in future years will include new pledges. The impression that I got from announcements during Homecoming was that they thought $40-50,000,000 could be an annual standard in new money and pledges each year. They think they can continue at that rate because of the work they have done during the last campaign, the relationships they have in place and the staff that is in place. But, you're right about the potential for double counting when both cash and pledges are given.

you would be hard pressed to find two nicer guys than chris and jody and maybe there lies the problem....maybe the fat maybe needs to be trimmed a little at the ralph and betty and you need a hard ass to do that and chris and jody might be too nice to go around firing a few unneeded employees to improve the bottom line...

i'm just saying that if you talk to casual und fans (and i have the last couple of weeks) and ask them how much do you think the the ralph/betty make for the athletic departemnt each year and most if not all just say "millions"...granted myself and all the people i have asked haven't and don't run event facilites but there seems to be a big discrepancy between perception and reality on this one....

That perception is what I talked about when you asked why REA didn't put the numbers on their web site. Most people would be really happy if someone was giving UND Athletics $500,000 per year, but some of them don't think it's enough based on their perceptions of the facility.

Jody and Chris are nice guys, but they are also pretty good businessmen. You can probably find places to cut in just about every organization. But making those cuts may not be the best idea in the long run. I think that if you compared profit at REA plus the services they provide UND you would find they do a good job compared to a lot of other similar size venues around the country. You also have to look at having competition from a similar size venue in the same community, and venues in Winnipeg and Fargo. All of those affect the profit potential of REA.