SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Goalies

siouxfan512

The money part is the party thats kind of scary. I'm not sure how close he was to a college degree, but maybe he's thinking that he'll find a way to the NHL and "green"er pastures per say.

Aaron had a remarkable career with UND, and I'm really hoping he doesn't call this a mistake in five years.

Via Schlossman on twitter

Dell: "I just decided it's time to pursue my pro career. They are bringing in two talented guys, so, now is as good of a time as any."

Dell: "It was the 3 best years of my life, for sure. I came in with a great group of guys & it's a little tough to leave those guys."

"Bringing in two talented guys" shows he is actually being smart to leave now. Who knows he might not have gotten enough ice this year and no offer next year.

I also read it as Dell doesn't feel he is "abandoning" his team because he has two more than capable goalies to replace him.

I also read it as Dell doesn't feel he is "abandoning" his team because he has two more than capable goalies to replace him.

Same here. Do you think the coaches would have brought in 2 talented guys if they thought Dell was going to stick around for his Sr. year? IMO they knew they had a hole to fill.

So I have felt the whole time that we are getting a goalie in Gothberg that will be an instant improvement over Dell. I also know that Saunders is supposed to be a hard worker and could challenge for some minutes; but what absolutely blows my mind is that Dell left for the ECHL....who does that? I mean, I have absolutely no concerns with him leaving, but I am more interested with his thought process. Yes he had decent stats here but it was only because of the team in front of him (as many teams he worked with obviously found out this summer). I still find it shocking that he takes off for the ECHL, I simply have never heard of this. Does anyone know if he was finished with school?

So who does everyone think is going to be the #1 Goalie going into the season? Gothberg seems to be the favorite, but Saunders may compete for the #1 spot. Should be a good battle. I don't see Maris beating wither of those guys out. I would bet they split games for the first 3 months till one of the two breaks out and proves they are the guy. Should be a great battle!

So who does everyone think is going to be the #1 Goalie going into the season? Gothberg seems to be the favorite, but Saunders may compete for the #1 spot. Should be a good battle. I don't see Maris beating wither of those guys out. I would bet they split games for the first 3 months till one of the two breaks out and proves they are the guy. Should be a great battle!

While I believe Gothberg will come out the starter, I agree with your statement. Let him and Saunders split time until one of them proves they should be the starter. Should be fun to watch.

So I have felt the whole time that we are getting a goalie in Gothberg that will be an instant improvement over Dell. I also know that Saunders is supposed to be a hard worker and could challenge for some minutes; but what absolutely blows my mind is that Dell left for the ECHL....who does that? I mean, I have absolutely no concerns with him leaving, but I am more interested with his thought process. Yes he had decent stats here but it was only because of the team in front of him (as many teams he worked with obviously found out this summer). I still find it shocking that he takes off for the ECHL, I simply have never heard of this. Does anyone know if he was finished with school?

But if this could be your one shot at following your dream would you not take it? This may sound a little off color but maybe he also left because of an insight as to how Hak was going to treat him this season. He saw what Hak has done to others in a similar situation as himself. He saw how Brad was treated and maybe he figured the same thing was in store for him. He may not make the big bucks in the E but he is chasing his dream and probably has as good of a chance in Colorado, if not better, than he would have had here. I like guys who have the cajones to go for the ring.

But if this could be your one shot at following your dream would you not take it? This may sound a little off color but maybe he also left because of an insight as to how Hak was going to treat him this season. He saw what Hak has done to others in a similar situation as himself. He saw how Brad was treated and maybe he figured the same thing was in store for him. He may not make the big bucks in the E but he is chasing his dream and probably has as good of a chance in Colorado, if not better, than he would have had here. I like guys who have the cajones to go for the ring.

Yeah, this makes sense. He may only have a year left in school so he can always get that done relatively quickly. And you are correct, I believe if he would have struggled early at all (like last year's debacle) he would have lost his job for good. Makes sense.

Yeah, this makes sense. He may only have a year left in school so he can always get that done relatively quickly. And you are correct, I believe if he would have struggled early at all (like last year's debacle) he would have lost his job for good. Makes sense.

He could keep taking classes online. Lots of bus time in the E which would give him a lot of study time.

Dell was a great college goalie, my favorite at UND since Goehring, and really only Goehring and Belfour are in the discussion since I started watching in the 1980s. His success was not a product of a good team in front of him; he was in fact a huge reason the teams in front of him were good. He had some easier playoff games and did his job, but he also had difficult ones and did an exceptional job keeping the team in those games. Memorably, the team had no legs left in OT in the 2011 Final Five title game against Denver, but he held on while the team recovered. One year later, UND was completely outclassed for 35 minutes against MN, and should have trailed by much more than 3-0; only Dell made it possible for UND to mount that historic comeback.

I doubted him when he first took over for Eidness. His first appearance that year was shaky, and I remembered subpar efforts from the year before. But he won me over with his play (not numbers). No overcommitment, very quick recovery and most of all, he didn't spend a lot of time laying in the crease hoping the puck didn't find the wrong stick. With his size and sound positioning, he blocked a lot of shots just by being there.

I personally think he will play in the NHL eventually. His route out of college might seem a bit unorthodox, but I think he'll succeed in time. I thank him for his huge contributions the last two years and wish him nothing but the best.

• Upvote 1

but what absolutely blows my mind is that Dell left for the ECHL....who does that?

The ECHL isn't quite the hockey career graveyard that many people make it out to be, specifically for goalies. The following goalies in the 2012 NHL Playoffs played in the ECHL: Jonathan Quick, Tim Thomas, Mike Smith, Joey MacDonald, Johan Hedberg, Martin Biron, Alex Auld, Jason Labarbera, Thomas Greiss, Jaroslav Halak, Braden Holtby, Michael Neuvirth, Dany Sabourin, and Thomas Vokoun.

That's a pretty big list and just from the teams who made the playoffs.

What do you mean by how he was "treated"? I don't think anyone has an assurance of playing time. I think Eidsness himself would say that he didn't live up to expectations his Junior season and probably had confidence issues. When Dell wasn't performing up to par last year Eidness got his chance to shine again, and then Dell really took over down the stretch again.

Dell was a great college goalie, my favorite at UND since Goehring, and really only Goehring and Belfour are in the discussion since I started watching in the 1980s. His success was not a product of a good team in front of him; he was in fact a huge reason the teams in front of him were good. He had some easier playoff games and did his job, but he also had difficult ones and did an exceptional job keeping the team in those games. Memorably, the team had no legs left in OT in the 2011 Final Five title game against Denver, but he held on while the team recovered. One year later, UND was completely outclassed for 35 minutes against MN, and should have trailed by much more than 3-0; only Dell made it possible for UND to mount that historic comeback.

I doubted him when he first took over for Eidness. His first appearance that year was shaky, and I remembered subpar efforts from the year before. But he won me over with his play (not numbers). No overcommitment, very quick recovery and most of all, he didn't spend a lot of time laying in the crease hoping the puck didn't find the wrong stick. With his size and sound positioning, he blocked a lot of shots just by being there.

I personally think he will play in the NHL eventually. His route out of college might seem a bit unorthodox, but I think he'll succeed in time. I thank him for his huge contributions the last two years and wish him nothing but the best.

We'll have to agree to disagree. His positioning is slightly above average but his rebound control was well below average. He played good this year in the playoffs and I felt he played really well against U Mich in the Nat'l Championship two years ago. But to say he is as good as you are saying I cannot agree with. Also, Phil L. was better than Dell.

• Upvote 1

The ECHL isn't quite the hockey career graveyard that many people make it out to be, specifically for goalies. The following goalies in the 2012 NHL Playoffs played in the ECHL: Jonathan Quick, Tim Thomas, Mike Smith, Joey MacDonald, Johan Hedberg, Martin Biron, Alex Auld, Jason Labarbera, Thomas Greiss, Jaroslav Halak, Braden Holtby, Michael Neuvirth, Dany Sabourin, and Thomas Vokoun.

That's a pretty big list and just from the teams who made the playoffs.

There are some good goalies in there.

We'll have to agree to disagree. His positioning is slightly above average but his rebound control was well below average. He played good this year in the playoffs and I felt he played really well against U Mich in the Nat'l Championship two years ago. But to say he is as good as you are saying I cannot agree with. Also, Phil L. was better than Dell.

Phil better than Dell? I beg to differ. The Floppin Frenchman scared the hell out of me when he was inthe net. Good goalie but I wouldn't give him the edge over Dell.
  • Upvote 1