SiouxSports.com Forum

UND/Midco 5 year contract

GeauxSioux

Incorrect. We don't have the FCS option any longer. That was widely reported at the time of the CBS deal.

A huge step backwards for UND sports. Suspect FTA and FCS may, just may, have one more year, but when the new conference and contract with CBSSports starts, all bets are off. Although, at least last year, CBSSports could be found FTA at times (maybe all the time?). Of course, that's just a couple games/year, as Midco now controls who gets what, and I'd be surprised if they allow FTA. I'm in North Dakota but out of the Midco footprint (as are most others outside ND), so no Sioux sports for us. All the fans in the Cities that go to Sensors will be out of luck as well.

• Upvote 1

So the gophers all their games rights are with the Big Ten Network but FSN will show some games. FSN can be shown nationally so why cant UND do the same thing? Replace BTN with CBS and FSN with FCS.

Would guess getting Fox Sports and CBS Sports to play well together is a long shot at best.

A huge step backwards for UND sports. Suspect FTA and FCS may, just may, have one more year, but when the new conference and contract with CBSSports starts, all bets are off. Although, at least last year, CBSSports could be found FTA at times (maybe all the time?). Of course, that's just a couple games/year, as Midco now controls who gets what, and I'd be surprised if they allow FTA. I'm in North Dakota but out of the Midco footprint (as are most others outside ND), so no Sioux sports for us. All the fans in the Cities that go to Sensors will be out of luck as well.

Yeah the manager at Sensors told me that once this kicks in they no longer will be able to show the UND games...terrible. There are atleast 10-15 UND fans at Sensors every weekend to watch their games....somtimes more.

Is there any way that we can confirm that Midco won't be using FTA to distribute the games? Unless I'm mistaken, if they didn't use FTA, that means they'd have to run fiber to the REA, Alerus, and Sioux Center wouldn't it? Midco has been part of the FSSN since its inception, so I'd think they'll be using much of the infrastructure that is already in place.

Is there any way that we can confirm that Midco won't be using FTA to distribute the games? Unless I'm mistaken, if they didn't use FTA, that means they'd have to run fiber to the REA, Alerus, and Sioux Center wouldn't it? Midco has been part of the FSSN since its inception, so I'd think they'll be using much of the infrastructure that is already in place.

They should be able to encrypt the raw feed without any new hardware. I don't work in TV (nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night) but I don't see why it would take any more than that to keep people from snatching the signal out of the air to watch it for free.

So the gophers all their games rights are with the Big Ten Network but FSN will show some games. FSN can be shown nationally so why cant UND do the same thing? Replace BTN with CBS and FSN with FCS.

The difference between BTN and CBS is that BTN is owned by Fox - so airing games on FSN/FCS is not an issue because it's not a competing network.

There has to be some method to madness why would you give in for 5 games out of 18? Maybe 5 home games? There has to be a way around it I will wait and see what happens.

I hope you're right - we have more than a year to find out, I guess. But if their only "solution" is streaming games online, it's going to be a huge disappointment.

Like it or not, we took one for the team (NCHC). I am not sure why people are even discussing this when it was so clearly spelled out when the CBS deal came out in the news. There is no "maybe we can work something else out". CBS has the exclusive national rights and we have no national option beside them. Even our Hockey SID was apologizing to some extent on Twitter and said that it had to be done that way. I doubt our team will be on every week so we'll just have to be happy with the five or so games we do get.

Minnesota has a sweet deal as they aren't bound to any exclusive deal like we are. Whatever BTN doesn't want to use, Minnesota can show on FSN. Lucky them

It would be nice with all the information on the new contracts, specifically the Midco and CBSSN contracts, if someone would mention how this affects the satellite uplink that's been there since the new arena opened.

Both USD and SDSU have inked deals with Midcontinent. Nothing from NDSU...at least as of yet. UND appears to have a better deal than the two SD schools in amount of games/shows and money.

It appears USD gets 15 games for the upcoming season and 24 "other" shows.

http://blogs.midcosn...sports-team-up/

It appears SDSU gets 10 games for the upcoming season and 24 "other shows.

http://blogs.midcosn...ce-partnership/

No mention of a multi year deal or money exchanging hands...

EDIT: After re-reading the release, it appears SDSU reached a six year deal...

Funny how Midcontinent can afford HD and having a Penalty Clock and Forum Communications kept telling us that it was "too expensive" and it wasn't "feasible". Well, I wonder how "feasible" it will be to not have UND sports as a product starting this year. This is a clear-cut example of the difference between the "penny-wise and pound foolish" management philosophy and the "build for the present and future" management philosophy.

Thank you Midco for the investment in UND athletics!

• Upvote 1

Funny how Midcontinent can afford HD and having a Penalty Clock and Forum Communications kept telling us that it was "too expensive" and it wasn't "feasible". Well, I wonder how "feasible" it will be to not have UND sports as a product starting this year. This is a clear-cut example of the difference between the "penny-wise and pound foolish" management philosophy and the "build for the present and future" management philosophy.

I can vouch for that as I was employed by them for a couple years. After a year I was on an active job search because every normal perk was getting cut; matching 401k for example.

Midco is trying to build a regional sports entity. And they have a distribution system that covers the Dakotas plus part of Minnesota. The sports channel is a niche that they can fill, in part using UND athletics as an anchor. At best, Forum has an extended single market between Grand Forks and Fargo. Plus they would have contractual issues with ABC if they wanted to show games on Channels 6 and 8. Forum Communications has more limitations on where they could go with the product. Their only other option would be to go to Midco or other distribution outlets to move the product. It's just a better business fit for the Midco Sports Network.

The other thing to remember is that the equipment that Midco will be purchasing will not be limited to use on UND athletics. They will get a lot more use out of the equipment than Forum could ever get. It's more cost effective for Midco.

Sprig all the CBS games were on 85 west last year and all in HD. I also live out of the Midco footprint 10 miles out of Sioux Falls so I will be out of luck if things change. If the FTA option is there for a price I would pay it. No question about it. I think we should sit back and let it play this year and maybe this time next year start jumping off a cliff! But as for this fall now that you have HD Sprig the Big Sky awaits for a lot of football.

Sprig all the CBS games were on 85 west last year and all in HD. I also live out of the Midco footprint 10 miles out of Sioux Falls so I will be out of luck if things change. If the FTA option is there for a price I would pay it. No question about it. I think we should sit back and let it play this year and maybe this time next year start jumping off a cliff! But as for this fall now that you have HD Sprig the Big Sky awaits for a lot of football.

Hope the FTA HD option exists with Big SKy's new deal with Root Sports. And yes, if midco encrypts and uplinks to satellite I'd pay for access. Would work with a card they could sell for the FTA boxes. I do get CBSSN via dishnetwork, but would watch FTA in HD if available again.

Midco expands area coverage

Although exact terms were not available, USD and SDSU officials put the value of their respective contracts in the $225,000 range.

That news comes a day after the University of North Dakota completed a 45-game, 40-show deal worth $1 million over five years and in advance of the Summit League finalizing an agreement for a weekly feature show.

In other words, Midco Sports Net – the five-year-old sports arm of Midcontinent Communications, a cable provider with more than 225,000 subscribers in the Dakotas, Minnesota and Wisconsin – has decided to emphasize its NCAA Division I coverage going forward.

The way I see it, this regional deal is basically the same for UND as the past several years, except UND is going to make a little more money from it, and eventually get games in HD. The geographical coverage will be about the same. The number of games will be about the same. In sum, UND's regional coverage will remain intact for the foreseeable future. Other than HD in Year 3, I don't see much to be excited about. It's not really a game changer as far as I can tell.

The only "game-changer" I've seen is the CBS Sports deal with the NCHC from a few months ago, and that is a "game-changer" for the worse. After the 2012-13 season, UND hockey's national presence on television will virtually disappear (limited to about 5 games per year). Anyone living outside of the Midcontinent footprint will have to rely on streaming video on the internet to watch UND hockey.

The only thing I don't know is whether the Root Sports deal with the Big Sky prevents Fox College Sports or any other national network from picking up UND football and basketball games. I suspect it does, but I haven't heard one way or the other. Either way, the reality is that if you live outside of the Midcontinent footprint, get used to seeing A LOT less UND sports on TV.

The only thing I don't know is whether the Root Sports deal with the Big Sky prevents Fox College Sports or any other national network from picking up UND football and basketball games. I suspect it does, but I haven't heard one way or the other. Either way, the reality is that if you live outside of the Midcontinent footprint, get used to seeing A LOT less UND sports on TV.

When the Root Sports deal came out, I emailed Jon Kasper, head of media relations for the Big Sky and asked if the conference deal would affect UND's Fox College Sports deal. He said it would not, other the fact that Fox couldn't have a game that Root selected, which this year is the Montana game.

The positive changes of the Midco deal are the cash, HD, and all of the home football games will be televised this year (UM game on Root, the rest on Midco). But it basically the same as what we've had regionally, I agree.

The deal that the NCHC made with CBS really sucks.........................