SiouxSports.com Forum

UND/Midco 5 year contract

GeauxSioux

Sounds like it's very close to putting the nail in the coffin for FTA coverage. And a much smaller geographical footprint for UND sports on TV.

The good news, for at least this year, is that Midco will make the feeds available to FCS on directv, per tweet below. Now the question is will we act on it and get the feeds set up again with FCS; I think the contract is up this year?

Midcontinent@Midcontinen

@tommillergf @MidcoSportsNet will make broadcasts available to FCS. If you can get channel & FCS picks up the games - yes!Collapse

For those who are thinking of switching away from Midco Cable to Dish, this makes it impossible. Sure, many games may be available on FCS, but not all of them. For those who live outside the area, allowing FCS to pickup the broadcasts is a HUGE HUGE HUGE victory. I hope FCS decides to stick with UND for many years.

• Upvote 1

Midcontinent Communications acquires broadcasting rights of UND athletics

For those in Fargo...

CableOne picked up UND’s full television schedule of 40 live events last year – events that were produced through the Fighting Sioux Sports Network.

Just as with FSSN, CableOne will now have the option of carrying the Midcontinent-produced UND content.

“I can’t see that (UND) would make any dramatic changes to prevent us from picking it up again, mostly for the benefit of the UND fan,” CableOne general manager Scott Geston said. “We will look at it like we do with everything else and make a determination after we get the paper work.”

Geston estimated CableOne will make a decision by late summer or early fall on whether they will pick up the television package.

The good news, for at least this year, is that Midco will make the feeds available to FCS on directv, per tweet below. Now the question is will we act on it and get the feeds set up again with FCS; I think the contract is up this year?

Just so it's clear to everybody, Fox College Sports is not a DirecTV-specific channel. It's a regular cable network. Comcast picked up all three of them (Atlantic, Central and Pacific) as full time channels. DirecTV picks up random bits of any of them. There have been times when games are on FCS, but DirecTV decides, for one reason or another, to not pick up a certain game.

Umm I'm struggling to make sense of your post.

NCHC signed deal with CBSsports, so when that conference starts it seems even games that they don't air won't be allowed nationally on FCS like has been happening for Sioux fans. We were still able to sign a regional deal and so we get Midco. Which does nothing for us with DirecTV, though it seems at least this year FCS can still pick up games to air.

• Upvote 1

Just so it's clear to everybody, Fox College Sports is not a DirecTV-specific channel. It's a regular cable network. Comcast picked up all three of them (Atlantic, Central and Pacific) as full time channels. DirecTV picks up random bits of any of them. There have been times when games are on FCS, but DirecTV decides, for one reason or another, to not pick up a certain game.

And DirecTV carries them as only live event channels.

What would be really nice is if Midco sports network could get put on DirecTV's sports package.

Sounds like it's very close to putting the nail in the coffin for FTA coverage. And a much smaller geographical footprint for UND sports on TV.

I hope that is not true. Unless they run fiber to the REA, wouldn't Midco have to use FTA to distribute the broadcasts to the rest of their network?

This deal has no effect on the Fox College Sports deal. That was going away after this season anyways. The NCHC basically cancelled the FCS deal on North Dakota's behalf when they signed with CBS.

As far as game coverage, this Midco deal is really no change from what UND has had for the past several years. It uses the same outlet, but is going to have a different production crew, and puts more money in UND's coffers.

The only real drawback that I see, is that the Sunday night show will probably not be on statewide TV as it has been for like 30 years. That is significant IMO. Probably won't be able to see it unless you are a Midco subscriber.................

I see where most Bison fans are down playing the Television contracts UND has. They are saying the deal they have with KVLY is better overall. Let's compare. UND is going to have 45 or so games on regional television. There will be 20 some men's hockey games, 4 women's hockey games, 5 football games, 3 volleyball games, 5 men's basketball games, and 5 women's basketball games. They are going to have 40 weekley shows. This year a lot of those games might be shown nationally on Fox sports. In future years we could still have a lot of the non-hockey games shown nationally too on Fox College Sports.. Of course we will have some hockey games shown nationally on CBS Sports. When we play the Gophers and Wisconsin and other Big Ten Schools in the future they could very well be on the Big Ten network. Then of course we will have certain games televised in connection with the Big Sky. I think all the football games will be able to be watched online as well as may other games in other sports. The Big Sky has the contract with Root Sports for nationally televised games . I forgot to mention UND will get a million dollars from Midco. In comparison KVLY will probably televise 4 or 5 football games for NDSU and maybe a basketball game or 2 on statewide signal with one of those games maybe UND. Let see if you were an unbiased consumer which television package wiould you consider better. Duh.

Umm I'm struggling to make sense of your post.

NCHC signed deal with CBSsports, so when that conference starts it seems even games that they don't air won't be allowed nationally on FCS like has been happening for Sioux fans. We were still able to sign a regional deal and so we get Midco. Which does nothing for us with DirecTV, though it seems at least this year FCS can still pick up games to air.

So the changes were never going to affect us locally? I thought it did, ooops!

Granted things could change in the future with the contracts the 2 schools have. I would like to think the marketing appeal of UND is going to get a lot stronger in the future now that we are done with our transition. In the present though UND's television situation is way way way better than NDSU's. In fact NDSU's situation isn't even the same league with UND's. That is true in more than one way. Big Sky over the Summit. There is no comparison right now. I an frankly surprised NDSU has kind of missed the boat on that end of the marketing of their programs. NDSU has kind of had things their way during UND's transition but things are about to change. UND is back and is going to be stronger than ever. When the schools parted UND was better than NDSU and I think it is going to pick up where it left off. Oh wait. We already beat them in Basketball and Volleyball.

• Upvote 2

Granted things could change in the future with the contracts the 2 schools have. I would like to think the marketing appeal of UND is going to get a lot stronger in the future now that we are done with our transition. In the present though UND's television situation is way way way better than NDSU's. In fact NDSU's situation isn't even the same league with UND's. That is true in more than one way. Big Sky over the Summit. There is no comparison right now. I an frankly surprised NDSU has kind of missed the boat on that end of the marketing of their programs. NDSU has kind of had things their way during UND's transition but things are about to change. UND is back and is going to be stronger than ever. When the schools parted UND was better than NDSU and I think it is going to pick up where it left off. Oh wait. We already beat them in Basketball and Volleyball.

Prepare yourself for lots of disappointment.

Prepare yourself for lots of disappointment.

Disappointments are part of life. I don't expect everything to be peachy every day. UND will have up days and down. I am definitely looking forward to what the future holds for UND athletics. Big Sky membership in 5 days, new television contracts, new hockey conference in 2013 and maybe one day... a new IPF.