SiouxSports.com Forum

UND/Midco 5 year contract

GeauxSioux

UND inks 5-year broadcast deal with Midcontinent

Midco Sports Network has announced that they will broadcast up to 45 live games, plus up to 40 weekly special shows featuring the University of North Dakota athletic program for the 2012-13 season.

"It is phenomenal to add such a great selection of UND games and special programming to our broadcast schedule," said Midcontinent Communication's Vice President of Business Solutions Mark Powell. "We know the UND fans will be happy to get a chance to catch all these games which includes hockey, football, volleyball, and basketball on Midco Sports Net."

Midco Sports Network will partner with the University of North Dakota to also include weekly shows featuring game analysis, interviews and reporting with several of the coaches of the University's athletic program.

Looks like local broadcast only. :whistling: Local fans need to go to the games in person.

It'll also reach most parts of South Dakota and some areas in Minnesota.

Unfortunately, I believe that is as good as it'll get. With the deal that the NCHC made with CBS College Sports, UND can't have any sort of deal like it had with FCS to expand viewership area.

It'll also reach most parts of South Dakota and some areas in Minnesota.

Unfortunately, I believe that is as good as it'll get. With the deal that the NCHC made with CBS College Sports, UND can't have any sort of deal like it had with FCS to expand viewership area.

Do we know anything about FTA availability for NCHC games yet?

Does me no good living in Fargo (Cableone). So stupid that West Fargo and Moorhead has midcon but not Fargo. Total BS!!

I thought CableOne was picking up UND games and putting them onto one of their channels.

PS - I know West Fargo folks have a choice. WF was CableOne but then they let Midco in for the competition. Pressure the Fargo City Commission to do something similar.

Doesn't do much for fans farther away such as Las Vegas in my case. The FCS coverage was great.

I thought so too until this:

Midcontinent@Midcontinent

@EricGroves1 @tommillergf @MidcoSportsNet will make broadcasts available to FCS. If you can get channel & FCS picks up the games - yes!

Retweeted by Tom Miller View conversation

Hopefully this deal requires that events be on Midco sports channel 1 (at least in North Dakota). It would be nice to be on the main tier near the other sports channels, rather than up in the 300s. If you have an older set or are someplace like a hotel or bar, you may not get Midco sports 2 or 3. I've been working in western North Dakota for the past couple of years and frequently missed Sioux games, while Midco 1 has had USD events or Northern Sun games, sometimes even things like repeats of South Dakota high school soccer. UND has to be there most attractive package, it should be placed accordingly.

I thought so too until this:

Midcontinent@Midcontinent

@EricGroves1 @tommillergf @MidcoSportsNet will make broadcasts available to FCS. If you can get channel & FCS picks up the games - yes!

Retweeted by Tom Miller View conversation

So it says if FCS picks up the games. Anyone have any information on how likely it will be for FCS to pick up the games?

So it says if FCS picks up the games. Anyone have any information on how likely it will be for FCS to pick up the games?

I noticed that too. That would be an ideal question for Mr. Hajdu.

I am excited that the capability is at least there. In the past I am pretty sure that wasn't even a possibility.

So who is going to broadcast the games? Is there still going to be a UND Sports Network? Maybe I missed something.

Key words and tricky phrases I see in the release:

"It allows us to continue our exceptional coverage in the region on Midcontinent and at the same time the department will benefit financially in a significant way," said University of North Dakota Director of Athletics Brian Faison. "We've been working hard to find new revenue streams for the program so this is a critical piece to add to the mix. We are also excited about the HD component of the contract."

Midco Sports Network will produce and broadcast ...

- cash flow

- High Def TV (in year three of the five, meaning the 2014-15 season)

- Midco to produce and broadcast (WDAZ had done the production in the past)

Grand Forks Herald's updated story says that UND is getting $1 million over the 5 years of the contract. HD will be in 3rd year. Midco has listed a variety of openings for Midco Sports Network in Grand Forks, including on-air talent and producers. It sounds like they are growing the department and putting an operation in Grand Forks full-time.