SiouxSports.com Forum

get a shot back into ndsu/south dakota confrence

I want absolutely nothing to do with the Scummit League, especially since they are bleeding members left and right.

At this point, the MVFC wants nothing to do with adding any more members. They didn't really want to add South Dakota, but did it so the Summit wouldn't lose them. They wouldn't add Nebraska-Omaha, so UNO had to drop football if they wanted to move up to Division I. The MVFC won't add UND. That would mean no home for football. The Summit may have plenty of its own troubles in the near future. Several schools keep getting mentioned as potentially leaving for another conference. That could weaken the Summit and make it as vulnerable as the WAC. Why would UND want to leave the Big Sky under the current conditions, when they wouldn't have a home for football and they would be looking at a conference for the rest of the sports that may or may not be stable. Things can change in a hurry in college sports as we have seen the past few years. But for right now it doesn't make any sense for UND to rock the boat and leave the Big Sky.

The Big Sky is by far the best overall conference situation for UND. I would much prefer the Big Sky over the Summit/MVFC combination. The Summit could be in big trouble anyway. The way things are going with the Summit in losing ORU and probably Oakland , it will have lost the most prestigious teams from their league. Nobody in Fargo would ever admit it but with what is happening with the Summit I think most people there would much prefer the Big Sky. Once again they will never admit it. Back a few years they wanted desperately to get in the Big Sky. It was their number 1 choice with no close 2nd. Even Jeff Kolpack said the other day that the administration at NDSU is very nervous about what is going on in the Summit.

The MVFC would be the best option for NDSU, UND, USD, SDSU. But it isn't that simple. Others sports have to be accounted for.

Does the MVFC have baseball? UND needs a baseball conference.

I would really like to see und get out the big sky and get a second shot with ndsu/south dakota confrence with the loss of the sioux.

Not having the moniker gets UND into a better conference (Big Sky) than the Summit/MVFC combo that the "Pagophobic Three" currently reside in.

How much longer will the SL last when teams are exiting left and right, and if the big gun in Oakland leaves only to be replaced with St. Cloud or Sioux Falls would the SU's (and USD) look towards the BSC for a conference home (except football). Although NDSU has a good baseball/softball team and I think that would keep them in the SL as long as possible.

NDSU enjoys being in a weaker conference with an autobid. It gets them a fairly easy road to post-season.

Put that autobid in jeopardy and NDSU will start shopping around fast.

I am waiting until they are about to get to the Dance only to have Omaha or USD beat them.

At this point, the MVFC wants nothing to do with adding any more members. They didn't really want to add South Dakota, but did it so the Summit wouldn't lose them. They wouldn't add Nebraska-Omaha, so UNO had to drop football if they wanted to move up to Division I. The MVFC won't add UND. That would mean no home for football. The Summit may have plenty of its own troubles in the near future. Several schools keep getting mentioned as potentially leaving for another conference. That could weaken the Summit and make it as vulnerable as the WAC. Why would UND want to leave the Big Sky under the current conditions, when they wouldn't have a home for football and they would be looking at a conference for the rest of the sports that may or may not be stable. Things can change in a hurry in college sports as we have seen the past few years. But for right now it doesn't make any sense for UND to rock the boat and leave the Big Sky.

At least get your facts straight. UNO dropped football to be able to afford the move to DI, not because the MVFC would not accept them. If UNO would have taken their football team with them to DI, I am sure the Valley would have accepted them into the league by at least year two, as they have a solid football history, a good location, and maybe some winnable games during the transition in a tough league. Likewise if UND would have wanted to join Valley football, they would have been accepted fairly quickly IMO with a better quality program than UNO. All it took was a little effort and being able to play nice, see USD.

Due to a rather largish ego by UND admin and a greater desire to burn than build bridges, we will never know how quickly the Valley would have taken you in. The Summit/Valley would have been crazy not to accept you into the league if you would have pursued it, which you did not. I Can't agrue with the Big Sky decision made by UND, but doing it while taking shots at the Summit/MVFC was not necessary and in your best long range interest. It seems likely that you will either move east or the bison will move west at some point, but maybe not.

At least get your facts straight. UNO dropped football to be able to afford the move to DI, not because the MVFC would not accept them. If UNO would have taken their football team with them to DI, I am sure the Valley would have accepted them into the league by at least year two, as they have a solid football history, a good location, and maybe some winnable games during the transition in a tough league. Likewise if UND would have wanted to join Valley football, they would have been accepted fairly quickly IMO with a better quality program than UNO. All it took was a little effort and being able to play nice, see USD.

Due to a rather largish ego by UND admin and a greater desire to burn than build bridges, we will never know how quickly the Valley would have taken you in. The Summit/Valley would have been crazy not to accept you into the league if you would have pursued it, which you did not. I Can't agrue with the Big Sky decision made by UND, but doing it while taking shots at the Summit/MVFC was not necessary and in your best long range interest. It seems likely that you will either move east or the bison will move west at some point, but maybe not.

Everything I've read tends to make me believe that the Missouri Valley Conference members of the MVFC would be very hesitant to add any more Summit members. The MVFC liked having 9 members. They were talked into 10. Adding UND would have given the Summit members control of the conference and an even more awkward number.. That is not what the MVC members want. So it is very doubtful that the MVFC would have accepted UND. And UNO would have considered keeping football if they had a good home for the team. The limited travel available in the MVFC would have been a great fit for UNO. It wasn't available, and UNO was going to have a tight fit financially in Division I, so they gave up football. I haven't taken any shots at the MVFC. They didn't want to add numbers and UND was left on the outside. Luckily UND found a good home in the Big Sky.

I think you are forgetting that North Dakota did in fact pursue the Summit/Valley combination for about 4 years (before the transition even started) until it was clear that Douple drew a line in the sand regarding the nickname situation, and Viverito never was interested in expansion until the Big Sky started to look East. The MVFC was clearly not willing to take on two more Dakota schools. IMO, if not for the nickname fiasco created by Douple, North Dakota would have been more appealing to the Valley vs. South Dakota for many obvious reasons. But Viverito would never even have entertained the idea expanding at all until the Big Sky wandered into their footprint and offered to invite both North and South Dakota. Then they were suddenly willing to take one despite strong objections from at least two members that required major concessions in the form of scheduling.

The Valley would never have even remotely entertained the thought of adding DII UNO as a football member and you know it. The MVFC is not desperate, the Summit is, and that is why they were added.

As far as getting back into a conference with the rest of the schools, I have no desire. I'd much rather be in the top FCS conference in the country, and have the opportunity to schedule the other regional Dakota schools in intriguing non-conference contests in all sports. It is the best of both worlds......................

• Upvote 1

Everything I've read tends to make me believe that the Missouri Valley Conference members of the MVFC would be very hesitant to add any more Summit members. The MVFC liked having 9 members. They were talked into 10. Adding UND would have given the Summit members control of the conference and an even more awkward number.. That is not what the MVC members want. So it is very doubtful that the MVFC would have accepted UND. And UNO would have considered keeping football if they had a good home for the team. The limited travel available in the MVFC would have been a great fit for UNO. It wasn't available, and UNO was going to have a tight fit financially in Division I, so they gave up football. I haven't taken any shots at the MVFC. They didn't want to add numbers and UND was left on the outside. Luckily UND found a good home in the Big Sky.

In DI, keep football for UNO was not an option . . . Period, due to their financial situation.. UNO keeping football at the DI level was never financially feasible, and not on the table as an option. If . . . If UNO had been able to keep football at the DI level, the MVFC would not have let them flounder very long as an independent. FCS football is a fraternaty that would have found a way to support that addition, as they did for USD. The situation would have been the same for UND. The Summit teams in the MVFC would have found a way to move UND into the conference for football.

UND was not going to be added to the MVFC, when they had not even made a commitment to the Summit yet. With a Summit commitment, the Valley would have followed, that is the only sequence.

I think you are forgetting that North Dakota did in fact pursue the Summit/Valley combination for about 4 years (before the transition even started) until it was clear that Douple drew a line in the sand regarding the nickname situation, and Viverito never was interested in expansion until the Big Sky started to look East. The MVFC was clearly not willing to take on two more Dakota schools. IMO, if not for the nickname fiasco created by Douple, North Dakota would have been more appealing to the Valley vs. South Dakota for many obvious reasons. But Viverito would never even have entertained the idea expanding at all until the Big Sky wandered into their footprint and offered to invite both North and South Dakota. Then they were suddenly willing to take one despite strong objections from at least two members that required major concessions in the form of scheduling.

The Valley would never have even remotely entertained the thought of adding DII UNO as a football member and you know it. The MVFC is not desperate, the Summit is, and that is why they were added.

As far as getting back into a conference with the rest of the schools, I have no desire. I'd much rather be in the top FCS conference in the country, and have the opportunity to schedule the other regional Dakota schools in intriguing non-conference contests in all sports. It is the best of both worlds......................

Finish the following sentences . . .

NDSU received an invite to the MVFC . . . before? (or) after? . . . accepting a Summit invite,

SDSU received an invite to the MVFC . . . before? (or) after? . . . accepting a Summit invite.

USD received an invite to the MVFC . . . before? (or) after? . . . accepting a Summit invite.

You see, there is a trend above. With a commitment to the Summit, the MVFC said yes to all of the above. The same would have been true for UND if desired. UNO and MVFC is not even a discussion as they could not afford the sport in DI, as I have stated . . . so please remove that notion from your mind, it is not a factor in UND's situation with the MVFC.

In DI, keep football for UNO was not an option . . . Period, due to their financial situation.. UNO keeping football at the DI level was never financially reasible, and not on the table as an option. If . . . If UNO had been able to keep football at the DI level, the MVFC would not have let them flounder very long as an independent. FCS football is a fraternaty that would have found a way to support that addition, as they did for USD. The situation would have been the same for UND. The Summit teams in the MVFC would have found a way to move UND into the conference for football.

UND was not going to be added to the MVFC, when they had not even made a commitment to the Summit yet. With a Summit commitment, the Valley would have followed, that is the only sequence.

That is your opinion................

However, South Dakota had made a commitment to the Summit League nearly 2 years before they got and offer from the MVFC. The Valley only made their offer to USD when they were threatening to head west, when the WAC was imploding, when Youngstown was looking at the CAA, and when Missouri St. was feeling out FBS.

USD was the logical choice because they already had forthcoming Summit affiliation. North Dakota did not, due to Tom Douple's and Gene Taylor's grand-standing on the nickname issue.

If UNO football had even the smallest, most miniscule chance at football in the MVFC, they would not have dropped the sport. My guess is that it was made clear to Trev Alberts, that the Summit League would take them in a minute (they'd take any warm body). But it was made very clear to them that a conference for football was basically an impossibility. At the same time, they could solidify themselves in college hockey with the NCHC.

I know it is hard for "but-football" fans to accept that sometimes hockey trumps football, but in this case, it did.......................

NDSU received an invite to the MVFC . . . before? (or) after? . . . accepting a Summit invite,

SDSU received an invite to the MVFC . . . before? (or) after? . . . accepting a Summit invite.

USD received an invite to the MVFC . . . before? (or) after? . . . accepting a Summit invite.

You see, there is a trend above. With a commitment to the Summit, the MVFC said yes to all of the above. The same would have been true for UND if desired . . . water under the bridge.

NDSU was not going to get into the Gateway if it weren't for SDSU standing by their partner.

USD wasn't going to get in until the Big Sky came calling and threatened the Summit plan.

I don't believe that UND was ever going to be invited. I think a lot of arm twisting happened to get USD in.

I am thankful the UND was invited to the Big Sky and didn't end up in NCC 2.0.

• Upvote 2

You see, there is a trend above. With a commitment to the Summit, the MVFC said yes to all of the above. The same would have been true for UND if desired . . . water under the bridge.

Prior to the USD addiditon, the MVFC has never in its history added a member unless a member departed...........................

As I said, USD was added only after at least two schools demanded (SIU was one of them, don't recall the other without looking) that they would recieve travel concessions for agreeing to admit South Dakota.

I don't see any "Yellow-Brook Road" that leads from the Summit to the MVFC. If there had been one, I'd think that UNO would have been on it.......................