SiouxSports.com Forum

If you were the next conference commissioner

zonadub

Its summer and college sports news is mostly about conference realignment. So, in the words of WOPR, Shall we play a game?...

If you were the next Jim Delaney, Larry Scott, Doug Fullerton and were a college football conference commissioner, who would you invite to UND's conference?

Would it be FBS or FCS or even D-II?

How many schools would you want? enough to have a league championship game?

Would you want to recreate the old NCC?

Would you want a Big Sky footprint?

Would you be more eastern, like the MVFC?

A blend?

Would you want Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, or other BCS level schools?

Put on your commissioner's hat and build.

I'l take a stab at it: (and yes, I know this can never happen)

Northern Division

North Dakota

North Dakota State

Montana

Montana State

Idaho

Idaho State

Southern Division

South Dakota

South Dakota State

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Iowa

Wyoming

You could go east/west and substitute Utah or Utah State for Iowa, but then UND would be in NCC2 plus Minny & Sconny.

all state flagship schools. 6 teams per division with a conference championship game. torn on FBS vs FCS, because I like the idea of playing for a national championship. included Minnesota and Wisconsin because of the hockey rivalries (would have included Denver instead of Iowa if they had football). A nod to geographic alignment. (my original thought was the 9 teams from the Dakotas, Montana, Idaho & Wyoming but why stop there? at the present time, conferences are getting bigger and 9 is not enough)

NDSU trolls will rip this, but why not 'play' during the summer while we wait for Boise to make up their minds so Idaho knows where they are headed?

I don't even want to make an attempt at realigning the big conferences with all that has happened over the last year. Here is what my ideal Big Sky would look like:

14 teams in two divisions:

East:

UND

NDSU

Montana

Montana State

Idaho

Idaho State

Northern Arizona / Colorado

West:

Weber ST

Eastern Washington

Northern Arizona / Colorado

Southern Utah

Poly

Davis

Portland St.

I left out Sac St. because I think they suck.

Realistically I would love to see the east as it's own entity looking like this:

UND

NDSU

Montana

M State

Idaho

Idaho State

USD

SDSU

Wyoming

Colorado State

Maybe add in a couple non football playing schools in Denver and Omaha. Or even add in a couple more football playing schools on top of this to get 12 Football playing and 14 overall. Always a good idea to stay away from 16 unless you are on the top of the food chain. Gotta love Friday mornings before a long weekend so people throw some ideas down because it is going to be a long and slow day in the office!