SiouxSports.com Forum

Measure 4 tv ad

darell1976

Blah blah blah... you're barking up the wrong tree.

I support the nickname, therefore I am voting NO.

And we know that we can't take what you say literally, so that means Dave is actually voting YES on Measure 4. Thanks for supporting the retirement of the nickname.

Blah blah blah... you're barking up the wrong tree.

I support the nickname, therefore I am voting NO.

Unfortunately you do not believe in facts. Undisputable facts. You believe your own misguided beliefs to be facts. I think most of realize that nothing said to you is ever going to change your mind on the subject. That's ok. you're stuborn. Nothings going to change that.

What pretty much sums up your misguided argument is where you say "I support the nickname." Now, the majority of us on this site are for the nickname but we support the University of North Dakota first and foremost. Without UND, there is no Fighting Sioux, not the other way around.

Unfortunately you do not believe in facts. Undisputable facts. You believe your own misguided beliefs to be facts. I think most of realize that nothing said to you is ever going to change your mind on the subject. That's ok. you're stuborn. Nothings going to change that.

What pretty much sums up your misguided argument is where you say "I support the nickname." Now, the majority of us on this site are for the nickname but we support the University of North Dakota first and foremost. Without UND, there is no Fighting Sioux, not the other way around.

We have misunderstood Dave. It turns out that we aren't supposed to take things he says literally. Most of what he says is actually the opposite of what he really means, although there are some times it isn't. You just have to learn to speak Dave-ese. But when he says he supports the nickname, he really means he supports retiring the nickname. When he says he is voting no, he actually means he is voting YES. We should all thank Dave for voting YES on Measure 4 and supporting the retirement of the nickname. Thanks Dave.

The letter writer says this:

and then goes on to criticize them for doing exactly that.

Obviously the letter writer doesn't understand that the sanctions will damage the athletic department, which will in turn decrease the effectiveness of athletics as a recruiting tool and decrease the effectiveness of athletics as a tool for attracting donations. Both of these will damage the ability to support current and future alumni. Probably another person that has not taken the time to learn the whole story and they are just reacting to the possibility of losing the name.

Wow, grow up. You are now showing signs of being quite possibly the most immature person who posts on this board.

Which is it? Are your posts literal or not? If your statements are literal then you can tell us which top university doesn't have athletics. If we aren't supposed to take your posts literally then we can't take it literally when you say you want to keep the nickname. Make up your mind. You can't have it both ways.

Which is it? Are your posts literal or not? If your statements are literal then you can tell us which top university doesn't have athletics. If we aren't supposed to take your posts literally then we can't take it literally when you say you want to keep the nickname. Make up your mind. You can't have it both ways.

Announcer: "Dave starts waffling and juggling in 3 ... 2 ... "

When I have a question about flying, I'll ask a pilot.

When the question is college athletics, I'll ask a Deputy Director of Athletics at a Pac-12 Conference university.

Did you notice that out of the many few UND grads that have sent letters supporting the idea of keeping the nickname, at least 2 of them are pilots. Maybe they're sniffing too much of that pure oxygen.

Wow, grow up. You are now showing signs of being quite possibly the most immature person who posts on this board.

Uh, pot to kettle. Those of you who want the nickname dead and gone are stubborn too.

I don't think they have been stubborn. They were all for saving the nickname for a long time until it became clear that no other avenues are available. Some at different times than others, but they are all in the same boat now. I don't see where they are being stubborn other than in their efforts to get you to see the light.

VOTE NO!!!!! SAVE THE SIOUX!

(I want to stay in DaveK's good graces)

Why does everything always have to be all or nothing with you? Is it not possible to be literal some of the time but not all of time? Normal, sane people don't have a problem with this concept. Why do you?

Why do you have a problem admitting that you were wrong? You made a simple declarative statement. Someone else proved it wrong. You tried to spin what you had said and shift the subject so that you didn't have to admit you were wrong. You did the same thing with the press release from the Committee. You won't admit that they were wrong. You tried to spin their words. It was a simple statement and it was false. Admit that they were wrong. Simple, declarative statements are taken literally. You tried to tell us that they weren't literal, when everyone that read them knew that they were both literal and wrong. That is where my problem comes in.

I don't think they have been stubborn. They were all for saving the nickname for a long time until it became clear that no other avenues are available. Some at different times than others, but they are all in the same boat now. I don't see where they are being stubborn other than in their efforts to get you to see the light.

VOTE NO!!!!! SAVE THE SIOUX!

(I want to stay in DaveK's good graces)

You mean this guy - click to view...

I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, but I am not wrong on this particular theory. I believe that I am 100% right that athletics are not needed in order for a school to provide a quality education and I don't need to name examples. The committee was not wrong either when they said look at NDSU's schedule and you'll see that they haven't scheduled Minnesota. They didn't specify a year and they said schedule (not schedules)... therefore we can only assume they're referring to the upcoming season, which makes their statement 100% factual. You're trying way too hard to discredit things based on your little technicalities, and I for one am not buying it.

You don't get it.

First, dropping athletics means dropping the name.

Second, NDSU does NOT schedule Minnesota. Minnesota schedules NDSU.

I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, but I am not wrong on this particular theory. I believe that I am 100% right that athletics are not needed in order for a school to provide a quality education and I don't need to name examples. The committee was not wrong either when they said look at NDSU's schedule and you'll see that they haven't scheduled Minnesota. They didn't specify a year and they said schedule (not schedules)... therefore we can only assume they're referring to the upcoming season, which makes their statement 100% factual. You're trying way too hard to discredit things based on your little technicalities, and I for one am not buying it.

You did not say that you believed that athletics are not needed in order for a school to provide a quality education. Your statement was that some of the finest colleges in the country don't have sports. The exact statement is below. Your "theory", as you call it, is one thing. The statement in bold is a statement of "fact". Except it is wrong. You made a direct statement that you can't back up, so you keep trying to change the story. That is one of the reasons that we can't accept whether you are making a literal statement or not based solely on your words.

I get most of what you're saying but not the "best for everyone involved" part. How exactly is it best for everyone involved? It's not like student-athletes don't have choices to attend other schools, nobody is going to force them to come to North Dakota. The school could make a very big statement by just dropping athletics altogether and moving on as an institution of higher education. Some of the finest colleges in the country don't have sports.

Your excuse for the Committee doesn't wash either. The exact statement was:

Also, all one needs to do is look at NDSU’s schedule for football. You will see they have not scheduled Minnesota, Iowa, or Wisconsin either, yet their program is strong and vibrant, just as UND’s will be.
This means that they HAVE NOT SCHEDULED, in other words have not in the past nor have on the schedule in the future. The have not scheduled is inclusive of all schedules. If they meant this year they would have said something like, "Don't have Minnesota, Iowa or Wisconsin on the schedule this year in football" or something similar. A strong and vibrant program isn't built on a single year's schedule or results. A strong program means that the program is strong from year to year. They didn't do any homework at all and they blew the statement. Anyone that reads the statement, other than you, realizes that. And the mistake makes them look bad. You trying to dance around these statements makes you look bad.

Second, NDSU does NOT schedule Minnesota. Minnesota schedules NDSU.

No, scheduling is a contract of consent between two agreeable parties: it takes two to tango.

UND would be an agreeable party to MInnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa; however, those three will never be the second party to North Dakota as long as UND is under NCAA sanctions for the moniker.

What about those of us who still want to see UND field a team?

Or is it all about Dave?

Silly question. It doesn't matter what any one else wants. It is always about Dave. After all, Dave is a grad..., no, big financial supp..., no, big "fan" of the Univer..., no, Fighting Sioux. That's it, Dave is a big "fan" of the Fighting Sioux. Nothing else and no one else matters.

not Grand Forks

vote no

I am still surprised by the people that call themselves supporters or "fans" of the University of North Dakota, yet they will throw the entire athletic department under the bus just so they can continue to see the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo on the hockey jerseys. And even more surprised by the fact that they are unable to comprehend the fact that the hockey program itself will also be damaged by the sanctions.