SiouxSports.com Forum

Softball

Skillet

Softball will join the Big Sky at the same time as the rest of our programs. With the addition of UND and SUU, the Big Sky will have enough schools to sponsor softball as a conference sport. It will start with seven schools with UND, Idaho State, Northern Colorado, Portland State, Sac State, Southern Utah and Weber State. Montana will be starting a softball program a year or two later for eight softball programs in the league.

• 2 months later...

All-Heritage Softball: Chelsea's Taylor Hansen rises to MVP

Opposing batters had to deal with Taylor Hansen’s explosive “rise” ball. But they also had to deal with an experienced pitcher and a tenacious athlete who threw every pitch with everything she had.

The numbers – we will get to them in a moment – are impressive, but what separated Hansen was the way in which she approached and perfected her craft. She wasn’t very tall or big, but when she stood in that circle she demanded the batter’s respect.

And when she placed that ball on her hip and stared in for the sign from catcher Carley Wooster, the batter in the box knew what was coming – Hansen’s very best.

Hansen will take her great passion for the game and skills to the next level – the Division 1 level. She will attend the University of North Dakota in the fall where she will play softball and study physical therapy.

“I am very excited for next year to be playing softball at the University of North Dakota,” she said. “I look forward to traveling around the US and visiting places I haven't been before and competing against some great teams.”

Let's relook at that statement ...

“I am very excited for next year to be playing softball at the University of North Dakota,” she said. “I look forward to traveling around the US and visiting places I haven't been before and competing against some great teams.”

Some say the Big Sky travel is a detriment.

I'd say in this case it seems that it's more of a recruiting tool and advantage.

Let's relook at that statement ...

Some say the Big Sky travel is a detriment.

I'd say in this case it seems that it's more of a recruiting tool and advantage.

Most of the ones saying it are the ones who tried, but didn't get in to the Big Sky.

• Upvote 2

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Conference cancels upcoming softball series

“North Dakota, Sacramento State and the Conference have acted in unison and cancelled the games,” said Ron Loghry, Senior Associate Commissioner. “It has been an unfortunate series of events for all teams involved, but entirely unavoidable due to the weather.”

.......................................................................................

There are 18 Conference games per team, so a team must complete a minimum of 12 games to be eligible. North Dakota must complete its remaining Conference schedule to be eligible for the postseason.

I realize that softball is not a revenue sport, but couldn't they play in the Alerus? Maybe a short right field?

I had spoke in the past to former head coach Sami Strinz about playing in the Alerus. It is large enough to accomodate, but at that time, the rental fee the Alerus was asking was too high for UND to consider it.

I'm sure it would be almost impossible to move games there on short notice, but I think it would be great if UND could work something out to host an early season tournament there in February each season.

• 1 month later...

http://union-bulletin.com/news/2013/jun/01/banks-repeats-downs-pioneers-1-0/

CORVALLIS — Banks repeated in more than one way Saturday at Oregon State University’s softball complex.

The Braves ended McLoughlin High School’s playoff run with a 1-0 loss for the second consecutive season and won its second straight Class 4A championship in the process.

Braves senior pitcher Kaylin VanDomelen, a University of North Dakota commit, turned in a one-hitter, outdueling Mac-Hi’s Colette Robert, who had a no-no going until giving up a hit and the lone run on an error in the fifth inning.....

....VanDomelen was more dominant, however, striking out 11, walking none and allowing just three base runners on a hit-by-pitch, a single and an error.

“She is definitely one to beat,” Robert said of her counterpart. “I came in really wanting to beat her bad because she is so good.”

Looks like UND found a great pitcher in Oregon.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Our softball coach, Eric Oakley, resigned today. I wondered if he was pressured or if he just realized what a huge task it is putting a competitive team on the field. Yes, I know SU has a very good program but let's not get into that conversation here like we do in all the other sports!!

Our softball coach, Eric Oakley, resigned today. I wondered if he was pressured or if he just realized what a huge task it is putting a competitive team on the field. Yes, I know SU has a very good program but let's not get into that conversation here like we do in all the other sports!!

"Oakley intends to pursue opportunities closer to his family in Michigan."

UND offers a number of softball scholarships and will soon practice in the indoor facility. With football at 63, women's scholarships are largely given to basketball, vball, hockey, and soccer for Title IX purposes.