SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaching Staff Change

puck

Let's see, Eades has a ton more coaching and life experience than Jackson, yet he was let go. Do you honestly believe that if the Sioux had the opportunity to bring in somebody like a Rick Wilson, James Patrick or Brad Berry, they wouldn't because Dane Jackson might be hurt? They could very well bring in someone who doesn't have a big profile, but I don't think it would be because Dane Jackson deserves to be second in command, it would be because they think they will be a complement to the staff and be a good chemistry fit with the staff and players.

Exactly....if Hak was worried about hurting feelings he wouldn't have let Eades go.

I have heard more news now to this situation. I will clear up a few things. This is from a former sioux player who is still very connected.

It had nothing to do with any NCAA scandals, rules recruiting etc

It had nothing to do with any affairs or any of that BS

It was more over disagreements with coaching philosphies and personality clashes. Cary had ideas about what to do and would get a little mad when Hak wouldnt use them or try them out. Cary was totally blindsided with this annoucement and thought it would never get to this point but he accepts it and just wants to move on now.

Can anyone provide strengths/weaknesses of the potential candidates and why they may/may not apply?

* Bomber

* Steve Johnson

* Herter

* Berry

* Litke

* Fabian

* _____________

I know for a fact Litke didn't make any friends in Bismarck when he coached the Bobcats.

Hak has said its a restructure, so potentially the roles of recruiting and power play and defenseman might be split. Hak himself played D...

A successful former pro as recruiter and D coach makes sense- Bombardir would be great, Herter too. Berry was awesome, but he might be a tough hire.

A great offensive coach to run the power play, recruit, etc also maks sense- Steve Johnson fits that bill.

If I were Hak, the ex d, I take over the d coaching personally, and bring Johnson in to recruit and coach forwards and the power play.

Okay, so lets pretend nobody had an affair, Blais didn't back Steve Johnson, Dane Litke didn't piss people off in Bismarck, Dave Hakstol isn't using Eades as a scapegoat, and Seth Jones wanted Eades out before he commits to UND.

Maybe, just maybe, Hak wanted to get a coach on staff with more of a defensive background.

But I guess when something like this happen skeletons need to be dragged out and good people need to be stabbed in the back.

During an interview, Hakstol didn’t get into details about the new roles and duties that Eades didn’t fit into, but he added: “I hope at the end of that hiring process that will answer your question in terms of what I would like to address. I don’t think it’s fair to get into that today at the front end. The result itself should answer that question.”

I heard this weekend from a good source that we have found our guy and the quote above holds true. I don't think it will be a big surprise to anyone around here.

During an interview, Hakstol didn’t get into details about the new roles and duties that Eades didn’t fit into, but he added: “I hope at the end of that hiring process that will answer your question in terms of what I would like to address. I don’t think it’s fair to get into that today at the front end. The result itself should answer that question.”

I heard this weekend from a good source that we have found our guy and the quote above holds true. I don't think it will be a big surprise to anyone around here.

I read that as Brad Berry and the defensemen

So who are you saying is that guy? Berry?

To those who think Hakstol is throwing Eades under the bus, I can only say that he is making a move that he thinks will better the team, right or wrong. I am certain he knows this means there will be more scrutiny of him going forward. I don't think Eades or Hakstol have to apologize for the success or perceived lack of success at UND The funny thing is that many of the perfectionist fans that scrutinize every little decision when the Sioux don't win it all, are the same ones that are scrutinizing a decision that was made in an attempt to better the team to make that next step to a National Championship. You can argue whether this was the right move to achieve that goal, but you got to admit that it was a bold move that will be scrutinized by everybody, including the administration if it doesn't work out.

• Upvote 2

To all of those throwing the rumors around... here is what I think may be a logical thought process. Eades was the main recruiter (i.e. always on the road) and in charge of the defense. Eades is, I would guess, around 50 years old? Maybe he didn't want to spend all of his time on the road recruiting? Maybe he asked Hak to have someone younger with more energy do all the traveling and recruiting? And like many have speculated, maybe Hak wants a defensemen in charge of the defense? And yes, it can be as simple as that. Restructuring responsibilities, like someone taking over the increased recruitment? I'm sure we will know more in the weeks to come, but I don't think it has to be a huge conspiracy theory, and I don't think we need to spread personal life rumors about a coach who was and is a Fighting Sioux through and through. Thank you for the great years coach Eades and best of luck in your future endevours! Go Sioux!

To those who think Hakstol is throwing Eades under the bus, I can only say that he is making a move that he thinks will better the team, right or wrong. I am certain he knows this means there will be more scrutiny of him going forward. I don't think Eades or Hakstol have to apologize for the success or perceived lack of success at UND The funny thing is that many of the perfectionist fans that scrutinize every little decision when the Sioux don't win it all, are the same ones that are scrutinizing a decision that was made in an attempt to better the team to make that next step to a National Championship. You can argue whether this was the right move to achieve that goal, but you got to admit that it was a bold move that will be scrutinized by everybody, including the administration if it doesn't work out.

The six year contract basically voids any scrutiny by the administration through the next four years. Assuming that just the base would be payable upon release, that kind of money is not easy to swallow. I'd say Hakstol has free reign for the near future. Hopefully that's a good thing.

The job announcement provides a clue to the new direction for this assistant. (color added)

Required Qualifications:

• Bachelors' degree

• Experience Working under NCAA Rules and Regulations

• Interpersonal and Communications Skills

• Experience Coaching/developing defensemen at the NCAA D1 level or above

• Experience with in-game bench management of defensemen at the NCAA D1 level or above

• Experience evaluating and recruiting players at NCAA D1 level or above

• Experience with coaching/developing specialty teams play at the NCAA D1 level or above

• Experience in the area of video breakdown and analysis at the NCAA D1 level or above

• Playing experience as a defensemen at the NCAA D1 level

• Experience designing and executing on-ice practice at the NCAA D1 level or above

• Must have a thorough knowledge of and commitment to compliance and follow all NCAA, conference and UND rules and regulations

• Must provide support and encouragement and ensure the safety and well being of student-athletes

• Criminal History Background check

Preferred Qualifications:

• Playing experience as a defensemen at the NHL level

• Coaching experience as a defensemen at the NHL level