SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaching Staff Change

puck

Why does the new coach have to have ties to UND. It might be better to get someone from outside. Different Ideas and possibly a different recruiting area. Look at the success of the Eastern teams. Maybe a National search would be best.

• Upvote 2

Can anyone provide strengths/weaknesses of the potential candidates and why they may/may not apply?

* Bomber

* Steve Johnson

* Herter

* Berry

* Litke

* Fabian

* _____________

No disrespect to Eric Fabian, but you don't throw Cary Eades with a tremendous amount of experience and have Eric Fabian be the replacement. You can toss out that suggestion as a replacement out the window. Not going to happen.

No disrespect to Eric Fabian, but you don't throw Cary Eades with a tremendous amount of experience and have Eric Fabian be the replacement. You can toss out that suggestion as a replacement out the window. Not going to happen.

Maybe there are budget issues and that is all they can afford? With a cash machine like REA, there shouldn't be, but it's possible.

Very true. And if they are looking to restructure, Eades was in charge of the defense and the powerplay, so I would assume they would bring in somebody for the defense, and depending on their expertise either switch the powerplay to Jackson or have the new coach keep both aspects of Eades' position. I would say it is a good bet that it will be a defensive coach. I think our defensive defensemen have developed quite well, but we don't really have a lot of presence in the NHL of offensive defensemen. Maybe they are looking to better develop the defensemen all the way around. In that case Brad Berry or Bombardir would be great to have around with their NHL experience. Don't know if Bombardir has any interest in coaching or what he would bring recruiting wise, or if his family life would allow him to put in the time required to excel, but his personality is such that you certainly would like him to be the face of the University to the parents of a recruit. Sometimes guys you think would be good coaches aren't, so you already have a proven guy in Berry.

. The story is that Hak fired him because of the affair that Eades was having. This does come from a good source and that supposedly was the reason that Mankato did not hire him.

I've heard the same thing, from several people with close ties to the program.

I don't know, it's just a theory. All I know is that Cary never made a public statement supporting the name change that I'm aware of, and now he is out of a job. It certainly could be a coincedence, but maybe it isn't. It's up to each indivual to decide whether or not to connect the dots.

http://www.facebook....comment_mention

Are you saying that you like, respect, and want to keep Eades with the program?

I know your stance on fighting in hockey so it seems odd to me that you would like someone who was involved in one of the most infamous college hockey fights ever (and many other fights throughout his playing days). You don't think Hakstol is the only reason for Sioux players dropping the gloves do you?

I agree and same goes with Carl Goehring. No disrespect but you don't replace Cary with either of those two people.

Is Dane Jackson ready for an expanded role as a top assistant? That too plays into this whole process for Hakstol.

With his experiance I would say yes. That is a major reason I tthink Litke will get the job. All the other possible candidates are to high of a caliber to take back seat to Dane.

With his experiance I would say yes. That is a major reason I tthink Litke will get the job. All the other possible candidates are to high of a caliber to take back seat to Dane.

I don't think who they bring in will take a back seat to Jackson. I think they will bring in somebody to complement the staff. I don't think you get rid of a known quantity and bring in an unknown or untested person, unless you are certain of that person's ability.

I don't think who they bring in will take a back seat to Jackson. I think they will bring in somebody to complement the staff. I don't think you get rid of a known quantity and bring in an unknown or untested person, unless you are certain of that person's ability.

But if he brought in someone to be over Jackson that would kind of be a slap to Jackson since he has earned a promotion. All the possible candidates are of a known quality. Out of the names mentioned Herter and Litke are the two who would compliment the program but still be able to take a back seat to Jackson while they make their bones at this level.

No, but UND gets a big check from REA from the revenues that the arena generates.

You sure about that? I could be wrong, but I have heard in the past that the REA/UND contracts are not very friendly to UND.

Maybe this has changed and/or maybe I'm wrong.

You sure about that? I could be wrong, but I have heard in the past that the REA/UND contracts are not very friendly to UND.

Maybe this has changed and/or maybe I'm wrong.

A few years ago I was told that UND was getting at least a couple of million each year. I don't think the first contract was as favorable to UND. I believe that they changed the contract after the first few years the building was open and they figured out how things were actually going to work.

A few years ago I was told that UND was getting at least a couple of million each year. I don't think the first contract was as favorable to UND. I believe that they changed the contract after the first few years the building was open and they figured out how things were actually going to work.

Well then I digress.

That's good to hear.

Steve Johnson will replace Blais before Eades does. Heck Blais wanted Steve to replace him here.

I think if we go back in time we'll see that Blais backed Hak all the way.

I've heard the same thing, from several people with close ties to the program.

So, this "affair" is just common knowledge around college hockey? Sounds very rumor mill-ish to me.
  • Upvote 1

I am not the only one that posted here that has heard the same thing.

Cary and his wife have kids and its totally irresponsible to state crap like that on this sports page...do everyone a favor and keep it to the sports and his coaching and stay out of his family business!

BobIwabuchiFan

• Upvote 2

I am not the only one that posted here that has heard the same thing.

Several people also heard stories that there was no way that Luke Johnson would come to UND because his dad was upset with not getting the assistant coaching job. The effect of that rumor doesn't disparage a person's reputation. I just wonder how many people would want that kind of rumor floating around about them, especially when it is at this point just gossip.

But if he brought in someone to be over Jackson that would kind of be a slap to Jackson since he has earned a promotion. All the possible candidates are of a known quality. Out of the names mentioned Herter and Litke are the two who would compliment the program but still be able to take a back seat to Jackson while they make their bones at this level.

Let's see, Eades has a ton more coaching and life experience than Jackson, yet he was let go. Do you honestly believe that if the Sioux had the opportunity to bring in somebody like a Rick Wilson, James Patrick or Brad Berry, they wouldn't because Dane Jackson might be hurt? They could very well bring in someone who doesn't have a big profile, but I don't think it would be because Dane Jackson deserves to be second in command, it would be because they think they will be a complement to the staff and be a good chemistry fit with the staff and players.