SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013

gfhockey

We've hired 2 new assts. and Danye is still coming as an asst. How many asst. coaches can we carry? Someone has to be leaving

Danye is no longer coming to UND, she will be staying at the UofM. Reason is unknown but my guess is it had something to do without being able to get out of her committment at the U.

• 1 month later...

We can start putting up some of the confirmed games for the 2012-2013 season for the ladies

Thurs Jan 10 @ Montana*

Sat Jan 12 @ Montana State*

Thurs Feb 7 Montana State*

Sat Feb 9 Montana*

Thurs Feb 21 Northern Colorado*

Sat Feb 28 Portland State*

@ NDSU Last Weekend of Nov?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

That would seem about right. I think we have the ability to be pretty good, but certainly need to improve from how we played during the transition years. We only had to beat the likes of NJIT, Chicago St, HBU, & UTPA, and Utah Valley- to be considered good in the past. Now we have to see how they perform in a conference with a few more top end teams. Especially with the grind of a far longer conference schedule. I believe they can be right there at the end. Should be fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Ball night! Looking forward in checking out the girls for the first time tonight against BSU. Things I will be looking at tonight

• The Maturation of Alyssa Wall: This girl is going to have a superstar like breakout this year, can't wait to see what she does in the Big Sky
  • Coach Brew: I want to see what he brings to the table as a coach
  • The guards: Who will step up and bring the depth to the table, Smart should have a pretty good year, but she will need some help.
  • The Freshies: Who will be getting some minutes from day 1

pretty sloppy game but....und has known for months that we are joining the big sky conference right?? other than two non-current logo's (someone explain that one to me please) on the floor tell me one other thing in the betty would tell the casual fan that und is a member of the big sky conference???

good crowd for an exhibition game tho

The court was designed and installed prior to the changing of the Big Sky logo, hence the old logo.

It was a sloppy game, too many turnovers and easy fast-break points for Bemidji. Bemidji had a pretty good player in #3 (not sure her name), but otherwise we were not tight defensively. I'm curious as to why Wall didn't play. Evers looked out of shape and Houdek had her own issues (couldn't catch, played wild). Smart looks like our best offensive player and I was pleased to see Buck start to drive in the second half. Not quite sure what Burck's issue was, but she kept passing up shots in favor of passes (mostly bad).

Still it was a win, got playing time for a number of people and revealed some areas that need working.

- Free throws

- Transition defense

- Better passing around the perimeter

The court was designed and installed prior to the changing of the Big Sky logo, hence the old logo.

It was a sloppy game, too many turnovers and easy fast-break points for Bemidji. Bemidji had a pretty good player in #3 (not sure her name), but otherwise we were not tight defensively. I'm curious as to why Wall didn't play. Evers looked out of shape and Houdek had her own issues (couldn't catch, played wild). Smart looks like our best offensive player and I was pleased to see Buck start to drive in the second half. Not quite sure what Burck's issue was, but she kept passing up shots in favor of passes (mostly bad).

Still it was a win, got playing time for a number of people and revealed some areas that need working.

- Free throws

- Transition defense

- Better passing around the perimeter

pretty sure southern utah redid their court about the same time we did and they put up their new school-colored big sky logo? plus how about some banners of our conference members?

wall and buck look like they spent a lot of time in the weight room/conditioning room..

pretty sure southern utah redid their court about the same time we did and they put up their new school-colored big sky logo? plus how about some banners of our conference members?

wall and buck look like they spent a lot of time in the weight room/conditioning room..

I bet Evers didn't

Wow, were any of us at the same game? Wall, didn't even play and I couldnt tell if she spent more time in the weight room...she was in street clothes. Secondly, I thought Evers, looked to be in far better shape coming into this season than she did a year ago. A great example of how much better she is moving was on a loose ball near the base line in the first half. She was the third closest of the players in the vicinity- she outquicked the 2 other players and then threw the ball off an opposing player before falling out of bounds, getting another posession. That is not a play she makes last year. I don't think Evers deserves that, were any of you at weights or conditioning this summer? I wasnt and I'm pretty sure none of you were there either, so how would anyone of us know to make comments like that. Also if you know who Ever's roommates are, I'm sure you wouldn't be surprised that she and her roommates are inseperable, so if one roommate was in the gym this year its a good bet that she was too. Wall, is our ace, but Evers, was superb in the tournament last year, but please don't let me stop you from tearing down one player, after one exhibition game. After all she offers is great depth and size to our lineup.

Yes Evers looked good when she was playing, when she could get in her position and get in the flow of the offense. Yes, she is in better shape than last year, but that is expected with a full year in the strength and conditioning program. Yet there were several times she looked completely gased, even though Houdek played longer minutes and they were spelling Evers fairly often. That's not something totally unexpected for a big early in the season, as there is a difference between weightroom conditioned and game conditioned. I'm sure her game conditioning will improve throughout the year. You are awfully sensitive to critique of a single player, that's what will happen on fan boards.

We won the game tonight, but I left a bit more unsettled than impressed. We started being a team that would turnover the ball alot during the transition. What concerns me is that we are not only turning the ball over against good D1 teams but we are turning it over on a regular basis against the likes of Mayville St. Come on ladies, lets get sharper. I know your capable. Also, please stop missing these short shots, this started to be problematic last year, and its been apparent in the first 2 games this season. We have to finish better.

Wasn't at the game but it's unsettling to hear we were having turnover problems against Mayville St. I think the loss of the Mothershed's from last year will be felt keenly for awhile, they were the main ball-handlers and were fairly safe with the ball. Someone is going to have to step up, take care of the ball, and get us down the court and into our offense.

What I saw in the Bemidji game once we got into our offense were lazy passes, telegraphed passes, or passes without even looking at who was defending the receiver. If we picked up the dribble and were pressured, we'd just toss it to a teammate, regardless of how tightly they were covered. That's something that the coaches should be able to address.

Really hope we can correct the turnovers, or else it could be a long season.

The first 15 minutes of the game were not pretty, but unlike against the Beavers, they finished the half better and played an even better second half. The offense seemed to be in a much better flow, a lot of easy backdoor baskets that were converted. Buck should have had 30 however, with all the bunnies she missed in the first 2 minutes.

Agree that they need to do better with the ball and to finish. There is a lot of promise with this team however once they figure things out. That #20 girl is going to be fun to watch, once she can consistently hit that little floater in the lane that she has.

They have a few days to get issues fixed and get ready on Sunday to play the Smart Kids from Harvard. Im looking forward to the start of the regular season.