SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013

gfhockey

Tough way to finish the season. But thanks to all of the ladies for their efforts & hard work this season.

Glad the mens team did not have such a bad season cause I'm sure the attitude would not have been like what is posted above. It would have been fire Jones and the players need replaced or how bad they are. Amazing the difference in how the teams are talked about or looked at.

• Upvote 1

Glad the mens team did not have such a bad season cause I'm sure the attitude would not have been like what is posted above. It would have been fire Jones and the players need replaced or how bad they are. Amazing the difference in how the teams are talked about or looked at.

This is a very true statement.

Just read the women have a new player for next year, Kramer. Hopefully she works out cause she only averaged 6.9 pts/game her senior year in high school. She's a 6' guard so if she can handle the ball and not turn it over that will be a huge success for this program. Scoring is really weak but time will tell.

Just read the women have a new player for next year, Kramer. Hopefully she works out cause she only averaged 6.9 pts/game her senior year in high school. She's a 6' guard so if she can handle the ball and not turn it over that will be a huge success for this program. Scoring is really weak but time will tell.

Where is she from?

Of course Jones has been coaching since 2007 - big difference than with the Women's program. You talk like there is no difference in the coaching situations which is not the case.

I’ve been thinking about posting this for a while so here we go. I’m probably going to upset some people so I’m sorry if I do. Also, if anyone has a relationship with Brewster show/send him this.

1st - Roebuck was an A-hole. Brewster isn’t by nature but he is being one. That didn’t work for Roebuck the last few years and it isn’t working for Brewster. Brewster trying to be one just comes across as a personal attack on the girls and if practices are like games is probably just creating a verbally abusive environment. Brewster’s ego has also inflated to the point of almost blowing his head off. He needs to remember he puts his pants on just like he did when he was an assistant. He is just sitting in a different desk. This is obvious to anyone that has interacted with him in both positions. He needs to deflate his ego, quit being an AH and be the coach most of us believe he can be. If he doesn’t I fear things will just get worse. We lost two players and how long will it take for word to get out?

2nd – UND needs to take all the DII banners out of the Betty and put them in the Alumni Center or somewhere, but get them out of the Betty. There were some very good/great DII teams, and I really enjoyed watching them, but if any of those teams had played a full DI schedule they would have been 50/50 or 60/40. That’s the life of a DI Mid Major. That is not a slam or insult toward any of those great teams, that’s just reality. UND has chosen to move to DI and constantly dragging the girls back into the DII era is not productive, and is probably just creating a negative environment.

3rd – I’ve read articles on most and talked to several of the girls and most of them got multiple DI offers. They then chose to come to UND, they didn’t have to come to UND. I think this group of girls can be successful but they need to be coached, not berated or belittled. If the guards don’t have the skill set then coach and teach them, they have the athletic ability. Our 3, 4, and 5 positions can play with many, many Mid Majors, not just the Big Sky, but they can’t be so afraid to make a mistake that all they can do is make mistakes. If a player, any position, makes a mistake on the floor they immediately look to the bench to see who is coming in for them, and someone is always sent in for them, rather than just working to overcome the mistake.

I’ve been thinking about posting this for a while so here we go. I’m probably going to upset some people so I’m sorry if I do. Also, if anyone has a relationship with Brewster show/send him this.

1st - Roebuck was an A-hole. Brewster isn’t by nature but he is being one. That didn’t work for Roebuck the last few years and it isn’t working for Brewster. Brewster trying to be one just comes across as a personal attack on the girls and if practices are like games is probably just creating a verbally abusive environment. Brewster’s ego has also inflated to the point of almost blowing his head off. He needs to remember he puts his pants on just like he did when he was an assistant. He is just sitting in a different desk. This is obvious to anyone that has interacted with him in both positions. He needs to deflate his ego, quit being an AH and be the coach most of us believe he can be. If he doesn’t I fear things will just get worse. We lost two players and how long will it take for word to get out?

2nd – UND needs to take all the DII banners out of the Betty and put them in the Alumni Center or somewhere, but get them out of the Betty. There were some very good/great DII teams, and I really enjoyed watching them, but if any of those teams had played a full DI schedule they would have been 50/50 or 60/40. That’s the life of a DI Mid Major. That is not a slam or insult toward any of those great teams, that’s just reality. UND has chosen to move to DI and constantly dragging the girls back into the DII era is not productive, and is probably just creating a negative environment.

3rd – I’ve read articles on most and talked to several of the girls and most of them got multiple DI offers. They then chose to come to UND, they didn’t have to come to UND. I think this group of girls can be successful but they need to be coached, not berated or belittled. If the guards don’t have the skill set then coach and teach them, they have the athletic ability. Our 3, 4, and 5 positions can play with many, many Mid Majors, not just the Big Sky, but they can’t be so afraid to make a mistake that all they can do is make mistakes. If a player, any position, makes a mistake on the floor they immediately look to the bench to see who is coming in for them, and someone is always sent in for them, rather than just working to overcome the mistake.

I am curious what others' reaction to these comments might be. Do others close to program or at least have been to most of the women's games agree or disagree?

I don't know Mr. Brewster and what is going on with his team, but what strikes me about what was posted is this ego thing. What has he ever done that would provide him with this huge ego?

1st - I don't know Coach Brewster at all, but it's clear he's a very passionate coach. Coach Roebuck had his own way of doing things, and whether you agree with how he coached or not, he hung banners and I would venture to say, he had the respect of most of his former players. You're right, Brewster is just sitting at a different desk, but you also have to remember this is his team now and it's his turn to do things how he sees fit. It's also his first stint as a head coach, if I'm not mistaken, so just like Mussman, he's still figuring things out. Will his coaching style change? Who knows. I'm not sure ego is a problem just yet. Again, I don't know him, so maybe I'm way off base, but I don't necessarily agree with that. Also, I spoke with one of the assistant coaches and yes, it's a bit strange Williams and Mills quit with games to be played, but I was told they left on good terms. I was also told, and this is something that doesn't surprise me due to their ability to run the point, that both of those girls were never DI caliber players. They were recruited by some DII schools, where they would fit in well, but DI, whether it be UND or another mid major, was a stretch. 20+ turnovers a game is evidence enough.

2nd - Why would they take down the banners in the Betty? That's part of the history of the program. Yes, we're DI now, but the history and tradition of the women's, and men's, program is on display and should be. The old saying "Don't forget where you came from" plays a role here. Should the Alerus take down all of the football banners? I would disagree there as well. It's the tradition. It's the history. It's part of what the program was built on.

3rd - This one I'm sort of with you on. I felt all of the subbing this past year hurt any sort of rhythm from being created or sustained. Maybe the guard substitutions had more to do with the girls being rattled more than striking them down for making a mistake. I don't know. As I posted before, it's Brewster's first shot as a head coach and there will be some bumps along the way. With a new head coach, experienced or not, there will always be some uncertainty. It was also the first year in the Big Sky, so my guess is Brewster was also looking to get all of the ladies some playing time to help get their feet wet, aka building for the future.

And on a side note, while speaking with one of the assistant coaches, I was told we'll have 3 ladies make immediate impacts next season. One is Dyer, the gal who transferred here from Wisconsin, who is also Troy Huff's cousin. The other two are apparently 6'2" guards from Europe. Not sure where they are coming from, but was told they'll play this fall. No question.

This was one season. I'm not about to send Brewster down the long and dusty road. Just like Mussman, he deserves a shot to be a head coach, not be the assistant who must try to do things how Roebuck did or didn't do them. Now, if players quitting with 2 games to go in the season becomes a consistent theme, then yes, there will be a reason to be concerned, however, I don't see that happening. Only time will tell.

There may be no difficult transition than moving from Asst. to Head coach in the same program. The head coach makes ALL the hard decisions while the asst. get to be the "good guy", the one everybody runs to when the head coach is too tough, mean, crabby, etc. Brew will learn with time to be himself, asshole or not, he'll learn to be himself.

Secondly, if you think a team of Jenny Crouse, Katie Richards, Tiff/Jamie Pudenz, Kamie Winger, and all the others that existed on the run of titles would be a .500 team in the Big Sky, you couldn't be more wrong. Those teams would have won the Big Sky and possibly won a game in the tournament. SDSU has done it in the last 5 years and those UND teams were every bit as good as anything SDSU has had lately. Hard to take a person serious when you make that kind of a comment.

Houdek, Evers, Smart, Buck, either Gilette, Frydenlund, Siri, Roehrich, etc. NEVER had multiple DI offers. No way, no how. Bottom line is UND had to fill their roster when they were in transition and the easiest way to do that was to get area kids. No true DI players were coming to a school with no conference, no playoff hopes, and no chance to play for championships. Now, we'll see. You have a conference, you get an automatic bid if you win, and you've filled your staff with assts. to know Minn, Iowa, and other states to recruit from. Time will tell how good we'll be.

There will never be another national title banner to hang in the rafters. Appreciate what we did in DII. It won't happen again.

• Upvote 4

OldLongTimeFan:

Your derragatory comments towards coaches is uncalled for and unappreciative. I would be interested to see if you make the same comments if you had to sign your name.

UND women's basketball doesn't need fans like you. Keep in mind that recruits, ex-players, and current players read these posts and I can bet you that they wouldn't be proud of playing for fans like yourself and having the program be downgraded per your comments.

The conference and national championshipt banners mean alot to the program - - and laid the foundation for the move to Division I. Also, the teams during the championship years would have been very successful in Division I as Coach Daddy said.

Reading your comments makes me wonder how much basketball you have watched.