SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013 Season

sioux24/7

Are they going to change the arena name to the Joyce Center while they are at it?

joycecenterbb.jpg

Time for North Dakota to get its own logo.

Dan, I know the interlocking ND is a pet-peeve of yours, and that is fine......................

But do you really get confused when you see a New York Yankees and New York Mets hat at the same time?

It is the initials of our state...................and personally, I think the re-design from a couple years ago looks pretty sharp. ND is where I am from, so I'm not embarrassed by the letters...................

http://www.grandfork...8/group/Sports/

The rich get richer!! This team is looking pretty good!!

Hopefully another nice addition! Tall, lean, and athletic.

Judging by his free-throw percentage, he should fit right in...................... I kid, I kid. ;)

Welcome to the University Mr. Nash.

Everybody wanted "bigs" for this team, now the staff has brought in 3 of them in the past month..........................

I actually really like the original interlocking ND. My problem with it has to do with North Dakota building its own identity. No matter how many times we try to tell people that we used a version of the interlocking ND first, people will never see that logo and think of North Dakota. And with Notre Dame's increasing use of the color green, it doesn't help our cause. With the move to DI, many sports fans across the US will be introduced to the University of North Dakota for the first time. From a marketing and branding standpoint, this is the time for UND to be building its own identity.

As for getting teams mixed up, a few years ago I went to Madison for the UND/UW hockey series. The Badgers were playing the Indiana Hoosiers that Sunday in men's basketball. By chance, I stayed at the same hotel that UI was staying at. Saturday afternoon while waiting in the lobby with my Sioux jersey on, the UI coaching staff approached me and asked me how my team had done the night before. We talked about the game for a while and how much we disliked the Badgers but that Madison was a fun town to go to games in. After chatting with them for a while their bus arrived. They wished me good luck and as they walked away a bunch of their coaches said "Go Irish".

Even with a giant indian head logo on the front of all of the jerseys wandering around the hotel and Madison that weekend, their coaches focused on the interlocking ND patch on the shoulder and assumed Notre Dame. That is something that will never change.

I get what you are saying, and like I said, I know it is a particular pet-peeve of yours........................

I am primarily a foobabll guy, so I have been focusing on that "ND" on the football helmets for as long as I can remember. Because of that, I've identified UND with "ND" over the course of my life moreso than I have with the Sioux Head. The Sioux Head has changed from the Blackhawk to the Geometric, to the Ben Brien in my lifetime...................all of which are cool, but has been fluid. The "ND" has always been there.

I'm actually a bit of Notre Dame fan as well, as far as big time football goes, so maybe that is why I don't mind the interlocking ND as much as you...........or maybe I became a bit of a Notre Dame fan because of the similar logos, who knows?.............

Just wondering who do you all think will be the best of the 3 transfers?

I think Traylor looks the best. I know Shaw comes from a bigger program in Texas Tech but his numbers are not that great. I believe Traylor with is size is going to be a beast underneath. We no doubt got what we needed and I'm sure all will contribute in a big way and push us towards the top of the Big Sky.

Just wondering who do you all think will be the best of the 3 transfers?

My guess would be Traylor based on his track record and the fact that he best fills UND's need in my mind. I think him and Nash will be a very interesting battle for that last starting spot,

Not sure when we will know for sure... word right now is that everyone expects that the NCAA will grant him immediately eligibility.

Of course, the NCAA is now always predictable or rational... but that is the current expectation.

If Nash is eligible this upcoming season, that will give us 8 juniors on this years teams and 8 seniors on the 2013-14 team. Seems as if Coach Jones is going "all in" on the first two years of Big Sky play. Should be fun to see how it plays out....................

If Nash is eligible this upcoming season, that will give us 8 juniors on this years teams and 8 seniors on the 2013-14 team. Seems as if Coach Jones is going "all in" on the first two years of Big Sky play. Should be fun to see how it plays out....................

Agree. I am really optomistic about the team we will have the next 2 years but at the same time concerned what happens after that. It seems like a huge hole to fill after this class graduates but I'm sure it can be done with some JUCO players and new high school players. It will have to be a strong mix of the 2.

Is that supposed to be the shape of the state around the ND?? It looks wrong.....

For those of you on facebook, you can go to the UND Men's Basketball page and check out pics of the new court. Here is the link...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=361837003870250&set=a.361323907254893.92275.123907454329874&type=1&theater

I think it looks pretty decent.

If the nickname and logo goes away does the Betty have to shorten its name?

Good question. My guess is that they would at least remove the word "Sioux" from the floor. Whether or not they officially change the name, I'm not sure. It shouldn't be too difficult to redo the "Sioux Center" logo on the floor when the time comes.

Not that it's a big deal or anything, but is it normal for both "Betty Engelstad Sioux Center" logos to be facing the same direction? I realize they both face the press box this way, but I figured they'd want the one on the far side to face the crowd on that side. All things considered I think the floor looks pretty nice though....

Not that it's a big deal or anything, but is it normal for both "Betty Engelstad Sioux Center" logos to be facing the same direction? I realize they both face the press box this way, but I figured they'd want the one on the far side to face the crowd on that side. All things considered I think the floor looks pretty nice though....

Never noticed that...almost makes you wonder if it was a mistake.