SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013 Season

sioux24/7

I can't believe In a blogger guy who states "Montana has the best backcourt in the country"....really? There backcourt is not better than than our backcourt in Huff, Anderson and Webb. And I'm not saying that because I'm a UND guy. I'm speaking basketball! Cherry and Selvig are solid players, outside of them, I'm sorry but I am not impressed with who they have. Also, for a team that beat Montana, one would assume that we would at least crack the top 5

I can't believe In a blogger guy who states "Montana has the best backcourt in the country"....really? There backcourt is not better than than our backcourt in Huff, Anderson and Webb. And I'm not saying that because I'm a UND guy. I'm speaking basketball! Cherry and Selvig are solid players, outside of them, I'm sorry but I am not impressed with who they have. Also, for a team that beat Montana, one would assume that we would at least crack the top 5

Hey there, I appreciate the read and comment!

I didn't say Montana has the best backcourt in the country (could have one of them, though), but I do think for sure they have the best backcourt in the Big Sky. As much as I am hopeful for the future of Huff, Webb, and Anderson, I have to say that I believe Montana's is better.

Cherry is the best defensive player in the conference, and one of the best perimeter defenders in the country. He will set the Montana career steals records this year, and could set the Big Sky career record. He is the best pro prospect in the conference right now, probably. He is quick off the dribble and improving his shot. Kareem Jamar is one of the best all-around guards in the conference too. Not sure if you watched the Big Sky title game (or maybe it was the regular season finale, can't remember which)... but in the second half, he put the team's offense on his back and won it for them. Honestly, it will be between these two guys to be the favorite for player of the year heading into the season.

Huff has a lot of talent and potential but he took 118 3s last year, and made under 20% of them. I like Webb a lot, and he could be one of the better PGs in the conference if he cuts down the turnovers. I have to admit though, I was disappointed in their lack of improvement... they looked like they were about the same player as their freshmen seasons. Which is ok, but they have to take the next step for UND to be true contenders. Anderson showed a lot of improvement last year, he was a really potent offensive player. I was quite impressed with him.

All together, I hope to see them in the top 5, and I thought they could get there, but after this year, I'm not quite sold yet. Their offensive efficiency was 287th in the country last year (defensive was 209th), and that was not exactly playing an awesome schedule. I know they had some tough non-conference games, and I know the Big Sky wasn't great last year, but it's still a big step up over The Great West, and we were only 6-4 there.

We beat Montana, but also lost on the road by 13 to Idaho State (whose only other win in their first 12 games was against Colorado Christian, and lost by double digits to Sacramento State, who finished 8th in the Big Sky. I think the potential to be really good is there (Huff-Webb-Anderson-Brekke have the talent to be as good a four as any in the conference), but there's reason to be weary too. No bigs outside of Brekke, and no proof yet that Huff can be "The Guy" every game.

We beat Montana, but also lost on the road by 13 to Idaho State (whose only other win in their first 12 games was against Colorado Christian, and lost by double digits to Sacramento State, who finished 8th in the Big Sky. I think the potential to be really good is there (Huff-Webb-Anderson-Brekke have the talent to be as good a four as any in the conference), but there's reason to be weary too. No bigs outside of Brekke, and no proof yet that Huff can be "The Guy" every game.

I don't know if you saw but we just got two JUCO bigs. One is 6'7" and the other is 6'10". Obviously we do not know how good they are going to turn out but they are adding some depth. I think where you placed this team is fair. They will do fine against Big Sky teams at home I would imagine but on the road it could be ugly. Anyways love the insight you have, keep it up!

Hey there, I appreciate the read and comment!

I didn't say Montana has the best backcourt in the country (could have one of them, though), but I do think for sure they have the best backcourt in the Big Sky. As much as I am hopeful for the future of Huff, Webb, and Anderson, I have to say that I believe Montana's is better.

Cherry is the best defensive player in the conference, and one of the best perimeter defenders in the country. He will set the Montana career steals records this year, and could set the Big Sky career record. He is the best pro prospect in the conference right now, probably. He is quick off the dribble and improving his shot. Kareem Jamar is one of the best all-around guards in the conference too. Not sure if you watched the Big Sky title game (or maybe it was the regular season finale, can't remember which)... but in the second half, he put the team's offense on his back and won it for them. Honestly, it will be between these two guys to be the favorite for player of the year heading into the season.

Huff has a lot of talent and potential but he took 118 3s last year, and made under 20% of them. I like Webb a lot, and he could be one of the better PGs in the conference if he cuts down the turnovers. I have to admit though, I was disappointed in their lack of improvement... they looked like they were about the same player as their freshmen seasons. Which is ok, but they have to take the next step for UND to be true contenders. Anderson showed a lot of improvement last year, he was a really potent offensive player. I was quite impressed with him.

All together, I hope to see them in the top 5, and I thought they could get there, but after this year, I'm not quite sold yet. Their offensive efficiency was 287th in the country last year (defensive was 209th), and that was not exactly playing an awesome schedule. I know they had some tough non-conference games, and I know the Big Sky wasn't great last year, but it's still a big step up over The Great West, and we were only 6-4 there.

Very good points. Why do you think this class did not make the improvement expected? To seriously compete in the Big Sky alot of changes to need occur. Teamwork is number 1. In games we shared the ball and had equal distribution of shots is when we played our best. Other games a player would take 20 shots and no one else close to double digit shots and we got beat. Finding a way to win on the road is a must. We all know how we have played on the road the last couple of years. Inside/out game. We dont have one and the very few times its happened we make wide open shots. Possessions will even be more critical in the Big Sky so we must take good shots. Various games we have a serious problem with this. With the additon of these 2 new players we definately have the talent to compete, its up to the coaches to make it happen.

One thing I just noticed from these 2 new recruits is that neither player shot a 3 last year. So between Anderson, Huff, Schuler, Antwi and Webb we will have to find a way to replace Mitchell's 62 3's he made last year. I guess our scoring will come more inside the arc and our offense changed alittle bit cause we had alot of sets for Mitchell to shoot a 3. Maybe we will have more motion instead of a couple of guys standing in the corners watching.

One thing I just noticed from these 2 new recruits is that neither player shot a 3 last year. So between Anderson, Huff, Schuler, Antwi and Webb we will have to find a way to replace Mitchell's 62 3's he made last year. I guess our scoring will come more inside the arc and our offense changed alittle bit cause we had alot of sets for Mitchell to shoot a 3. Maybe we will have more motion instead of a couple of guys standing in the corners watching.

I would like to see Schuler and Anderson both shoot more threes and even Antwi. I would also like to see Huff not shoot threes.

• Upvote 1

Back to the Huff-bash fest I see! season over/conference champs/big sky bound....give it a break at this point. Who's to say that the guy might improve his 3 point percentage. How about being hopeful and less bashful. We can practice throughout the summer....the season is about 7 months away. Kinda old now kid!

I am not bashing him, just would like him to use his athleticism to take it to the rim. He shot under 20% from three, in my book that is not good. If he improves on his 3-point shooting than great it will help him and the team out a lot.

I know a good way to add 4/8 points per games - make some Free Throws - eveyone on the team should be embarrassed.

twins15 - great read - I thought you had a solid analysis - I saw little improvement from team overall and this team is losing Mitchell - who I thought was the best player on the team in the 4 or 5 games i watched this year.

I would like to see Schuler and Anderson both shoot more threes and even Antwi. I would also like to see Huff not shoot threes.

There need to be some offensive plays designed to get Anderson and Schuler open from beyond the arc. And I mean something other than a high ball-screen at the top of the arc.

Agree, that Huff is not a shooter...........................

• 2 weeks later...

All black sidelines with green lettering outlined in white with the outline of North Dakota at center court would look awesome.

While we are at it, put in electronic retractable bleachers that go all the way to the walls on the ends, a video ring that wraps around the upper trusses, all new championship banners that are of the quality of those in the Ralph, and change the name to Betty Engelstad Arena. That would be much closer to a DI facility.

• Upvote 1

All black sidelines with green lettering outlined in white with the outline of North Dakota at center court would look awesome.

While we are at it, put in electronic retractable bleachers that go all the way to the walls on the ends, a video ring that wraps around the upper trusses, all new championship banners that are of the quality of those in the Ralph, and change the name to Betty Engelstad Arena. That would be much closer to a DI facility.

How about a real scoreboard hanging down from the center. Its very difficult to read our current set up at each end.

• 2 weeks later...