SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013 Season

sioux24/7

Since we've already been alluding to next season (2013-14), it got me to thinking about how the athletic department would handle hosting a Big Sky basketball tournament and 1st round hockey playoffs on the same weekend, if that "problem" arose. I know the BB championship game time would be set by ESPN (currently Saturday night before Selection Sunday, @ 8 pm CT - it used to be mid-week like the Summit League, which would actually be better for UND's situation). Do you really think the AD would want games to overlap?

I agree. The first few times I saw him out there, I had some concerns about his size. His hard work and effort make up being a few inches shorter than alot of the guys he guards.

He definately has filled in nicely for all the injured players cause he was only playing 6 minutes a game until all the injuries. Next year he won't be playing the 4 with Nash, Traylor, Brekke and Salmonson filling those positions at the 4/5. Don't want to be negative but he will be at a guard position where he needs to be, but my concern with him is he is a banger and his foot speed is extremely slow to guard the qucker players. We will have Anderson, Webb, Huff, Hooker, Schuler, Antwi as quality guards next year and I see him behind all of them just as he was this year. He definately has done great filling in because he is at a position he doesn't have to guard anybody quick and he can just bang on them but he is not better than the above mentioned. Like mentioned by another poster he will be a solid role player in the future but has been extremely fortunate to get the minutes late this year and has taken full advantage of it.

Since we've already been alluding to next season (2013-14), it got me to thinking about how the athletic department would handle hosting a Big Sky basketball tournament and 1st round hockey playoffs on the same weekend, if that "problem" arose. I know the BB championship game time would be set by ESPN (currently Saturday night before Selection Sunday, @ 8 pm CT - it used to be mid-week like the Summit League, which would actually be better for UND's situation). Do you really think the AD would want games to overlap?

Temporarily sticking to next year theme - has anyone heard some OOC games scheduled for next year? Hoping for some good ones, but I hadn't heard anything yet.

Move the hockey games to Saturday afternoon, Sunday afternoon and game 3 on Monday nite if necessary.

Move the hockey games to Saturday afternoon, Sunday afternoon and game 3 on Monday nite if necessary.

On the Big Sky Championship manual http://bigskyconf.com/documents/2012/8/29/MBB.pdf it states "The host team shall always play the last game of the session." But right below there it also states "Starting times for all games shall be determined by the host institution and approved by the conference office, with ESPN setting the championship game time." Say if the BB team were playing the semi-final on Friday, it may be possible to AD to have UND's game start a couple hours before the hockey game (perhaps BB at 6pm, hockey at 8 pm), but then, if UND plays in the championship (where the time would be set by ESPN), hockey would have to be moved to Sunday. Perhaps Sat/Sun afternoon, with Monday night if necessary is the best solution. Would be an absolute great "problem" to have!

But ESPN couldn't care less. They wouldn't budge on the basketball game time and there's no way the athletic department could run a basketball game and hockey game simultaneously.

Back in 2004, the DII North Central Regional Women's BB tournament was held at the BESC and the men's hockey team was at home the same weekend. So I think it could be done. Parking would be a @#$%^ though.

Back in 2004, the DII North Central Regional Women's BB tournament was held at the BESC and the men's hockey team was at home the same weekend. So I think it could be done. Parking would be a @#$%^ though.

ESPN is the X-factor, though. In 2004, there wasn't a TV network controlling the schedule, albeit one game.

So here is a couple question for everyone, when it comes to the postseason accolades:

1) Do you think Troy Huff has done enough to warrant a 1st team All-Big Sky selection?

2) Does Aaron Anderson find a way to get into 2nd team All-Big Sky?

Definately yes on Troy Huff and maybe on Aaron. Aaron has played great as of late and is deserving but I'm not sure if it will happen. There is what 10-12 spots on 1st and 2nd team and Montana and Weber could alone fill 3-4 of those spots easy and then you have some very good players on all the other teams. It will be close.

So here is a couple question for everyone, when it comes to the postseason accolades:

1) Do you think Troy Huff has done enough to warrant a 1st team All-Big Sky selection?

I think Troy's a lock for Big Sky first team and he's got a great shot at Big Sky Player of the Year. He's the only player to be player of the week 3 times. He's .1 ppg away from the scoring lead, he's 5th in the conference in rebounds (1st on his team) and he leads the conference in steals per game.

Personally, I think Huff should be a lock for the first team. As far as Anderson goes, I know it is a big league with alot of good players but I would think one would be hard pressed to find four guards that have played better than him..............

Listening to the women's hockey game tonight they interviewed Faison during an intermission break. He made a comment about since UND won today to go .500 overall that if we win our quarter final game we are guaranteed at least a CIT bid. Didn't catch his exact wording but he made it sound like we had a good chance of at least making the CIT either way but were guaranteed if we win our quarterfinal game.

I'm pretty sure that the CIT takes bids on hosting games. From as sure as he talked it sounded like he had already had conversations with the CIT. I don't know why he would make a comment as definitive that if we win our quarterfinal game we are in. So I wouldn't be surprised if UND hasn't already had conversations with the CIT and possibly put in a bid for if we don't win the BSC.

Listening to the women's hockey game tonight they interviewed Faison during an intermission break. He made a comment about since UND won today to go .500 overall that if we win our quarter final game we are guaranteed at least a CIT bid. Didn't catch his exact wording but he made it sound like we had a good chance of at least making the CIT either way but were guaranteed if we win our quarterfinal game.

I'm pretty sure that the CIT takes bids on hosting games. From as sure as he talked it sounded like he had already had conversations with the CIT. I don't know why he would make a comment as definitive that if we win our quarterfinal game we are in. So I wouldn't be surprised if UND hasn't already had conversations with the CIT and possibly put in a bid for if we don't win the BSC.

Makes the Omaha loss sting even more. They would be 2 games over had they won that and would be eligible even with an upset loss in the first round of the Big Sky. While the Big Dance is obviously the primary goal, any way to extend the season is good for the program and UND could probably do some damage in the CIT.

Speaking of the BIg Dance. Liberty is playing in the Big South final right now on ESPN2. If they win they would almost certainly be a first four team, which UND would likely be with its record should it win the Big Sky.

Makes the Omaha loss sting even more. They would be 2 games over had they won that and would be eligible even with an upset loss in the first round of the Big Sky. While the Big Dance is obviously the primary goal, any way to extend the season is good for the program and UND could probably do some damage in the CIT.

Speaking of the BIg Dance. Liberty is playing in the Big South final right now on ESPN2. If they win they would almost certainly be a first four team, which UND would likely be with its record should it win the Big Sky.

Are there automatic-bid teams in the play-in games, I thought they were bubble teams? I honestly don't know, I just thought they were good teams that were upset in their tournament and such?

Are there automatic-bid teams in the play-in games, I thought they were bubble teams? I honestly don't know, I just thought they were good teams that were upset in their tournament and such?

I believe there are two games of each. A pair of 8/9 type games and a pair of 16 seed team type games. We would very likely be in one of the First Four games if we pull an upset in the tourney.

That and the SDSU buzzer beater, the UMKC and NAU debacles at home. Change those 4 outcomes and its 19-11 with a much much higher RPI.