SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013 Season

sioux24/7

What are your thoughts on next season? I am excited to see Shane Benton and also more of Josh Gentry hopefully. Our roster as of now will be:

Seniors: Nick Haugen, Jordan Allard, Mitch Wilmer, Spencer Goodman, Doug Archer, and Dan Stockdale

Juniors: Aaron Anderson, Troy Huff, Jamal Webb, Brandon Brekke, and Josh Schuler

Sophomores: Lenny Antwi and Josh Gentry

Freshman: Shane Benton

After this year we should have 5 scholarships available correct? Looking forward to hearing everybody's thoughts.

It's unfortunate that the scholarship distribution among the classes is so out of balance. It's not going to be solved this year, as even if some of the seniors-to-be don't return, those scholarships will likely go to juco players, which will make the junior class even larger.

I'd now say the chances of bringing in some talented recruits for next year just took a huge hit with todays vote from the powers to be and probably an even bigger hit once the vote hits in June. What a shame. I would not be surprised to see a few players possibly transfer.

Sioux2013 what took place?

The powers to be in the government of North Dakota had no balls to stop the peoples vote of the sioux name. Whether or not UND will be called the Sioux will be decided on the June ballot. The government could have put an end to this the other day but choice to ignore the fact that if the name is voted in then UND athletics will be virtually eliminated. The Big Sky will kick us out and with no conference and no team willing to play us because of the name we will be in a world of hurt. Back to D2 or NAIA. It really sucks.

anyone know when the mens/womens big sky bball schedule gets released? soon, late summer, fall?

I think teams will wait until the June vote is over whether to commit playing UND. Of course the usual 3 (Minny, UW, and Iowa) won't be on there if we keep the name.

I think this season obviously will depend on whether the juniors really take the next step. I thought they were awesome as freshmen, but then didn't really take a big step forward as sophomores.

If Jones can get a couple JUCO bigs with the scholarships that opened up (Brekke needs some help), and Huff/Webb/Anderson can take the next step and become fringe all-conference players, UND is going to be very interesting in year one in the Big Sky.

Usually there is an unofficial overall schedule early in the summer. The official release for some other colleges is late August usually.

Here's the "unofficial schedule":

-10 Home games against Big Sky teams

-10 Away games against Big Sky teams

- @ NDSU

- 2 Home games against DII/NAIA teams

- 7 Non-conference games TBA

I think this season obviously will depend on whether the juniors really take the next step. I thought they were awesome as freshmen, but then didn't really take a big step forward as sophomores.

If Jones can get a couple JUCO bigs with the scholarships that opened up (Brekke needs some help), and Huff/Webb/Anderson can take the next step and become fringe all-conference players, UND is going to be very interesting in year one in the Big Sky.

I agree that we need to show marked improvement from all of this class. Each conference game will be much tougher than what we have had in the past. We need a big and we need a player like Mitchell at the 4 spot and most importantly we must play better as a team and good solid shots, which some players have problems with. Coach Calipari for Kentucky had a great quote. : It doesn't matter how young you are its how you play together." Thats what we need, is to play together as a team.

Here's the "unofficial schedule":

-10 Home games against Big Sky teams

-10 Away games against Big Sky teams

- @ NDSU

- 2 Home games against DII/NAIA teams

- 7 Non-conference games TBA

Thanks. I meant one with names and tentative dates, mostly for athletic department use.

I can't believe In a blogger guy who states "Montana has the best backcourt in the country"....really? There backcourt is not better than than our backcourt in Huff, Anderson and Webb. And I'm not saying that because I'm a UND guy. I'm speaking basketball! Cherry and Selvig are solid players, outside of them, I'm sorry but I am not impressed with who they have. Also, for a team that beat Montana, one would assume that we would at least crack the top 5