SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

The 2011-12 season is over and had more ups and downs than even the usual season for UND. Next year we could be looking at a pretty good team on paper if nobody jumps ship. Good recruits comming in and Grimaldi and O'Donnel playing basically their first season and a solid returning lineup could make for a good year.

I'm expecting a similar season to this one, with a little less turbulence. I think this year's team really rode the wave they got on and played a bit beyond their means for quite a stretch. I still see us as a 3-4 placed team in the WCHA. A lot can change before then as well, though, so it's a bit early on my part to start predicting anything.

In goal we'll be as rock solid as I've ever seen with Dell Gothberg and Saunders coming in.

Dell, Saunders, Gothberg

Add Koules and Chyzyk to the forwards and we should have three solid lines and one mean checking line with Pattyn. If everyone stays the first line would probably stay as is.

Knight, Nelson, Kristo, Grimaldi, Rowney, Koules, Parks, McMillan, ODonnel, Pattyn, Rodwell, Chyzyk, Dickin, Senkbiel, and Gaarder

On D we only lose Blood for sure and add Schmaltz and possibly Jones if we're lucky. That could create a special group with more skill than we've had in my memory at D. I hope Panzerella can develope his overall game like Blood did and be a force with Mac to compliment the skilled D men.

Forbort, MacMillan, Jones (if he comes), Schmaltz, Panzerella, Simpson, Gleason, Mattson

This team could go from not a full line up to a bunch of healthy scratches.

The next couple of weeks will give us a good idea about next years squad. Obviously we say goodbye to a good group of seniors, but at the same time you always wonder who the flight risks are.

Here is what I think in concern to flight risks.....

More than likely gone:

~Kristo

50/50 Gone

~Nelson, Forbort

Likely Back:

~Dell, MacWilliam

Don't forget that Mitch MacMillan will join the team after the New Year as well.

And I agree with Wilbur in regards to the potential early departures.

I would love if Kristo and Nelson were to return...that top line could really work some magic next season and lead this team. Plus, all the pressure wouldn't be on them with a strong 2nd and 3rd scoring lines with the injured players return.

That D-corps is going to be very, very good next season with only Blood gone and Schmaltz incoming.

The next couple of weeks will give us a good idea about next years squad. Obviously we say goodbye to a good group of seniors, but at the same time you always wonder who the flight risks are.

More than likely gone:

~Kristo

50/50 Gone

~Nelson, Forbort

Likely Back:

~Dell, MacWilliam

The only team that was really able to neutralize our top line all year was the Gophers. Big, strong and fast. They had their top line on ours almost exclusively for all 6 games. That tells me Nelson and Kristo still have some work to do especially physically and strength-wise before they should depart IMO. I do think Kristo goes. Nelson would be a big mistake at this point. As for Forbort...he really only played like you would expect a top 1st round pick to play the last 3-4 week of the season. He could use another year as well.

Brock Nelson would be foolish to think he can jump to the next level. He has emerged as a tough, physical player with skill and speed, but he has to have a lot more seasoning if he wants to make it in the NHL or even the AHL. Same with Forbort. Kristo could leave and be competitive in the AHL, but it could take him a couple of years before he gets a call-up. I think these guys should talk to some of our previous players that left early (most of whom wished they hadn't left early) before they make their decisions.

The question I have to Nelson and Kristo:

Were you as dominant this year as Gregoire was last year? Gregoire hasn't stuck with his NHL squad.

And MacWilliam and Forbort? MacWilliam needs to work on his offensive game or he'll never see the NHL. Forbort needs to figure out how to play at his highest ability level consistently. (Mattson and Simpson were getting power play time in front of him. That doesn't say "NHL ready".)

Dell? He's the wildcard. He could go. He could stay. All I know is that I've seen a lot of very good WCHA goalies leave early and that I've never seen them since.

Next year looks very promising. As much fun as it was to watch Gaarder and Senkbeil and even Panzeralla get some ice time this year, that won't be the case next year, their ice time will be limited. Next years team won't have any holes to fill in the line up. With fully recovered players in Grimaldi, O'Donnel, Rodwel, and with new talent in Koules, Chyzyk, Schmatlz and possibly Jones, the team should be pretty deep.

I'd say Kristo is 60/40 flight risk. He leaves, big deal. I'm a true believer Rocco will be quite the dynamic player next year in college hockey. I have high expectations after watching him play 4 games, 1 game live, he is that good. He'll easily replace Danny on that top unit with Knight and Nelson. If Rocco, plays center next year, one can move Parks up to the first line with Knight and Nelson. Parks is a better corner player and forechecker than Kristo anyways.

I REALLY hope next years squad starts off the season in a winning fashion. I love the second half surge, but would love to a see a Sioux team be consistent from day one and then know they'll make the NCAA tourney sooner without all the pressure of treating second half games like playoff games. In addition, time and time again, we've seen winning the WCHA Final Five is nice, but it usually doesn't translate into too much success in the NCAA Tourney. If I were coach I'd only shoot for a #1 seed in the National Tournament if my team won the league (WCHA) title. Other than that, who gives a rats a$$ about being a #1 seed in the National Tournament. It's completely irrelevant to be a #1 seed in tournament play these days in college hockey, in college basketball, that's a different story.

Being a #1 seed this year hurt us by having the Gophers be in the same bracket. Hindsight is 20/20 and no one could have predicated us winning the Final Five and being a #1 seed, but after that victory against the Gophers I had the Sioux being a #1 seed, being in the same bracket with the Gophers. I tweeted a response to Schloss about it that night. He was still skeptical... well, look how it ended up.

Back to next year again, next year looks very promising. Let's not forget, besides Rocco this year, Brendan O'Donnel was our best incoming freshman, despite his injury filled season, he still put up 5 goals. With a strong summer of recovery and off ice training, he should step in next year and be a huge impact player. I expect the play of Parks and McMillian to rise another bar next year too. They'll be key assets to the our team. The team should be solid at D and goaltending. Macwilliam is a flight risk to leave, but I think he stays. If he leaves, we are screwed on the defensive end for a hard nosed/gritty D man, and our D corps than has the makeup of a traditional Gopher D corps, offensive and not tough to play against. I hope he stays.

One question mark will be developing line chemistry for next year, and how good will Colten St. Clair be? Is he ready to step foot on a third line or fourth line with a deep Sioux team, or will he be watching a lot a games in the press box?

Hey fellas - long time reader of these boards; great info out here. :) First time poster though - be gentle.

Does anyone know the situation with Colton St. Clair? I know there were issues with him coming in this past year but is it still a possibility to see him suit up for the 2012-2013 season?

Hey fellas - long time reader of these boards; great info out here. :) First time poster though - be gentle.

Does anyone know the situation with Colton St. Clair? I know there were issues with him coming in this past year but is it still a possibility to see him suit up for the 2012-2013 season?

He was enrolled at UND this past year, which makes him eligible to play in 2012-13. He wasn't allowed to practice with the team, but he could use the facilities.

I believe it was an eligibility issue because of an accredidation issue with the online classes he was taking. He was enrolled all year at UND, so I would assume he will be ready and eligible come the start of next season.

More than likely gone:

~Kristo

50/50 Gone

~Nelson, Forbort

Likely Back:

~Dell, MacWilliam

I would say the chances are better than 50/50 Nelson is back. I'm sure the Islanders will come after him hard, but from everything I here he really likes school at UND and his family has very strong feelings about him getting his degree. I think another off-season of gaining muscle and Nelson will be a real beast and he would be better of here then in AHL. I hope the guys that are thinking about leaving remember what guys like Gregoire, Hextall, Parise, and even Oshie said when they left early that they wished they woulda stayed another year because there is no place like UND.

I believe it was an eligibility issue because of an accredidation issue with the online classes he was taking. He was enrolled all year at UND, so I would assume he will be ready and eligible come the start of next season.

I believe he has been playing intermural hockey all year.

He was enrolled at UND this past year, which makes him eligible to play in 2012-13. He wasn't allowed to practice with the team, but he could use the facilities.

I believe he also worked at the Hockey Acad with Karl G.

I believe the 2012-13 Sioux will have a physical, fundamentally sound, hard-working lineup. They'll start out slow as everyone adjust to new linemates, get hot after Christmas, go into the NCAA tourney peaking at the right time, then eventually lose. Underclassmen will leave early for the pros and we'll be looking back in 2016 wondering how in the hell we never won a title with the talent we had. We've got like 8 years of Groundhog Day seasons to go on. At least this year they didn't get destroyed, upset, or give up a goal with less than a second left. So there's that.

My only asks for 2012-13 are:

FIRST:

- go the the WCHA Final Five as either the #1 or #2 seed (so they have no more than two games in two days)

or

- focus less on winning the Final Five if it means three games in three days

LAST

View the NCAAs as the post-season tournament to three-peat from now on.

My only asks for 2012-13 are: FIRST: - go the the WCHA Final Five as either the #1 or #2 seed (so they have no more than two games in two days) or - focus less on winning the Final Five if it means three games in three days LAST View the NCAAs as the post-season tournament to three-peat from now on.

Losing Friday in the Final Five would have been fine for a couple reasons: resting Saturday, and avoiding the X the following week. The problem is that you can't try to do anything but win every game. If MN wants to lay down and not cover guys in the slot, you go there and try to score. It's just how players are programmed.