SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

We already know next years team will have more depth and in fact be better from Day 1. It sure would be nice to know whether Seth Jones decides to come to UND or not. I have a weird feeling he'll commit and use that as leverage for major juniors, don't know why, don't ask. I'd love for him to commit to UND, UND hasn't really had a big time stud D man in awhile, sure would be fun to have a player like that.

Next year, we bring in two great goaltenders to challenge Dell all season long, which is great. In addition, we bring in two skilled forwards and one top incoming defensive recruit.

Our biggest challenge will be team chemistry at the beginning of the year. Also, the transition back to the college game for O' Donnell, Rocco and Rodwell. Rocco and O'Donnell will find their game fast, Rodwell needs to get a goal early right away next year for confidence. He'll either be a really good third player or a fourth line player looking in. Taylor Dickin, great kid, his days are limited, he had the opportunity to have a big impact year this year and didn't despite his year end injury, he'll be an extra body.

The depth next year, should help a lot, not only barring injures, but more so with competition in practice. I expect some great players to be on the third or fourth line.

My line up:

1st - Kristo, Knight, Nelson - given that Kristo doesn't leave

2nd - Parks, Grimaldi, Macmillian - Pretty sure this was the line used prior to October and Rocco's injury

3rd - Patty (he belongs on a third line, great grinder!) Rowney (his numbers may go down, but it's for the good of the team) - Rodwell or Chyzk

4th - St. Clair - Koules - Gaarder

D

Mac - Forbs

Simpson - Mattson

Gleason - Schmaltz - I like that pairing, Gleason with his speed for recovery when Schmaltz makes some rookie mistakes in the first half of the year.

Goalies - I'd say next year more than ever, a rotation will be used. I don't care if Dell is a Senior. Gothberg will contest and that new transfer goalie, should be awesome!

We already know next years team will have more depth and in fact be better from Day 1. It sure would be nice to know whether Seth Jones decides to come to UND or not. I have a weird feeling he'll commit and use that as leverage for major juniors, don't know why, don't ask. I'd love for him to commit to UND, UND hasn't really had a big time stud D man in awhile, sure would be fun to have a player like that.

Next year, we bring in two great goaltenders to challenge Dell all season long, which is great. In addition, we bring in two skilled forwards and one top incoming defensive recruit.

Our biggest challenge will be team chemistry at the beginning of the year. Also, the transition back to the college game fro O' Donnell, Rocco and Rodwell. Rocco and O'Donnell will find their game fast, Rodwell needs to get a goal early right away next year for confidence. He'll either be a really good third player or a fourth line player looking in. Taylor Dickin, great kid, his days are limited, he had the opportunity to have a big impact year this year and didn't despite his year end injury, he'll be an extra body.

The depth next year, should help a lot, not only barring injures, but more so with competition in practice. I expect some great players to be on the third for fourth line.

My line up:

1st - Kristo, Knight, Nelson - given that Kristo doesn't leave

2nd - Parks, Grimaldi, Macmillian - Pretty sure this was the line used prior to October and Rocco's injury

3rd - Patty (he belongs on a third line, great grinder!) Rowney - Rodwell or Chyzk

4th - St. Clair - Koules - Gaarder

D

Mac - Forbs

Simpson - Mattson

Gleason - Schmaltz - I like that pairing, Gleason with his speed for recovery when Schmaltz makes some rookie mistakes in the first half of the year.

Goalies - I'd say next year more than ever, a rotation will be used. I don't care if Dell is a Senior. Gothberg will contest and that new transfer goalie, should be awesome!

Reason for leaving out O'Donnell? He will be a Top-9 forward next year.

Reason for leaving out O'Donnell? He will be a Top-9 forward next year.

I forgot his name while determining the lines. He'll not only be a top- 9 forward next year, but a top 6!

I'll insert him to start on the third line: (because he's coming off an injury)

3rd - O'Donnell - Rowney - Rodwell or Chyzk

Pattyn gets bumped to 4th line. The perfect line for him, he'll be a great grinder, can be an instigator and kill penalties. No shame in demoting Pattyn to the third line to the fourth. He'll know his role next year. I expect him to get in a one fight next year too, which will be an absolute massacre. The reason being, is because he wants to fight once, and we'll have more depth and no injures for him to do so, next year.

Based on what I have seen of Gothberg he is going to have some work to do if he is going to usurp Dell from the "starting" spot.

Despite Gothberg, I think people need to understand how good Clark Saunders could/will be on a good UND team, next year. He's a 6'3 goaltender with a save percentage over 900% playing on a shoddy Huntsville team. Keep in mind Dell is only 6'0 ft. Not taking anything away from Dell, but you can bet Saunders is going to get quite the opportunity next year.

Despite Gothberg, I think people need to understand how good Clark Saunders could/will be on a good UND team, next year. He's a 6'3 goaltender with a save percentage over 900% playing on a shoddy Huntsville team. Keep in mind Dell is only 6'0 ft. Not taking anything away from Dell, but you can bet Saunders is going to get quite the opportunity next year.

That thought crossed my mind as well.

Its fun to play what if with the group coming back next year. Just think of having a third line centered by Rowney, a guy that is starting to turn it on and could have a big year next year.

Here is what I think: Because I believe Kristo will be gone

Nelson-Knight-Grimaldi

O'Donnell-MacMillan-Parks

Chyzyk-Rowney-Rodwell

Pattyn-Gaarder-Koules

Sorry Jim.....you'll be a healthy scratch.... :sad:

Its fun to play what if with the group coming back next year. Just think of having a third line centered by Rowney, a guy that is starting to turn it on and could have a big year next year.

Here is what I think: Because I believe Kristo will be gone

Nelson-Knight-Grimaldi

O'Donnell-MacMillan-Parks

Chyzyk-Rowney-Rodwell

Pattyn-Gaarder-Koules

Sorry Jim.....you'll be a healthy scratch.... :sad:

Like it, I would have O'Donnell as the center instead of MacMillan.

Your centers will be Knight, Gimaldi, Rowney next year.

It's hard to say right now, we have alot of forwards that have experience playing center. The big line of Nelson, Knight, Kristo could be split up and have Brock or Corban centering the 2nd line as well.

can't resist:

Nelson-Knight-Kristo

MacMillan-Grimaldi-Parks

O'Donnell-Rowney-Rodwell

St. Clair-Gleason-Koules

Forbort-MacWilliam

Simpson-Schmaltz

Mattson-LaDue

Obviously a complete guess but with the energy Gleason showed the last month at forward I can see it being very tempting to leave him there, he may not have the scoring touch but he brings a hell of a forecheck to the table. The jones thing is a mystery so I think they'll end up bringing in ladue, He'll be 20 when the season starts I believe and he is having a nice year in Lincoln. Probably be a rotation with Panzerella but it seems LaDue may have a little more to offer offensively. I think pattyn, gaarder, and senkbeil may get some love early but young talent will be hard to leave on the bench when you are trying to develop it. Also MacMillian will be available in January and Dickin has experience too, so some of these freshmen "fillers" this year will be battling for pt as sophmores. Sounds harsh but a Hak & co. have to put the best lineup out there that they can.

can't resist:

Nelson-Knight-Kristo

MacMillan-Grimaldi-Parks

O'Donnell-Rowney-Rodwell

St. Clair-Gleason-Koules

Forbort-MacWilliam

Simpson-Schmaltz

Mattson-LaDue

Obviously a complete guess but with the energy Gleason showed the last month at forward I can see it being very tempting to leave him there, he may not have the scoring touch but he brings a hell of a forecheck to the table. The jones thing is a mystery so I think they'll end up bringing in ladue, He'll be 20 when the season starts I believe and he is having a nice year in Lincoln. Probably be a rotation with Panzerella but it seems LaDue may have a little more to offer offensively. I think pattyn, gaarder, and senkbeil may get some love early but young talent will be hard to leave on the bench when you are trying to develop it. Also MacMillian will be available in January and Dickin has experience too, so some of these freshmen "fillers" this year will be battling for pt as sophmores. Sounds harsh but a Hak & co. have to put the best lineup out there that they can.

I don't think LaDue will come unless there's an early departure or two on D. We're pretty stacked there. I'd bet there's another year in Lincoln for him. If Jones decides not to come to UND, it's not like they'll bring another guy in. Seth Jones is one of those guys where you MAKE room. We could have 7 returning D and bring in Schmaltz to make it 8. So unless there's a couple departures and Jones doesn't come, no one else will be brought in.

I don't see how LaDue comes in next year either, unless MacWilliam or Forbort decide to leave early. If no one leaves early we will have Forbort, MacWilliam, Simpson, Mattson, Gleason, and Panzarella with at least one full year under their belts. Schmaltz will take either Gleason's or Panzarella's spot on D. I see Gleason playing alot of forward once again next year. If Jones commits I really don't know who would sit.

Agree to disagree I guess, but remember Ladue is listed as a 2012 or 2013 and that makes it reasonable to conclude that his status is based soley on Jones's decision.

I only want him to come in if he will play a top 6 role. I think he will be a solid contributor for this team, if he is only going to play in 20 games his freshman year, I say go back to the USHL and possibly win the Top Defenseman Award.

Agree to disagree I guess, but remember Ladue is listed as a 2012 or 2013 and that makes it reasonable to conclude that his status is based soley on Jones's decision.

Nope, it's based on early departures. Kind of like it we have forward departures, we have an option to bring in a couple other recruits there. Jones decision has no bearing on other recruits. Jones would be a bonus. When Ladue committed, he was 2013 unless there are early departures.

Nope, it's based on early departures. Kind of like it we have forward departures, we have an option to bring in a couple other recruits there. Jones decision has no bearing on other recruits. Jones would be a bonus. When Ladue committed, he was 2013 unless there are early departures.

Seems reasonable

Goalies (4): Dell (Sr), Maris (Sr), Saunders (Jr), Gothberg (Fr)

Forwards (16): Rowney (Sr), Kristo (Sr), Knight (Sr), Rodwell (Jr), Nelson (Jr), Mitch MacMillan (Jr), Dickin (Jr), Gaarder (So), Grimaldi (So), Mark MacMillan (So), O'Donnell (So), Parks (So), Pattyn (So), St. Clair (Fr), Chyzyk (Fr), Koules (Fr)

Defense (8): MacWilliam (Sr), Gleason (Sr), Simpson (Jr), Forbort (Jr), Mattson (So), Panzarella (So), Senkbeil (So), Schmaltz (Fr)

Potential Early Departures (5): Dell (30/70), Kristo (80/20), MacWilliam (20/80), Nelson (50/50), Forbort (20/80)

Potential Arrivals (1): Jones

My very early lines assuming no departures:

Nelson-Knight-Kristo

MacMillan-Grimaldi-Parks

O'Donnell-Rowney-Rodwell

Pattyn-Chyzyk/Koules-St. Clair

Extras: Mitch MacMillan, Dickin, Gaarder

Forbort-Schmaltz

MacWilliam-Mattson

Simpson-Gleason

Extras: Panzarella, Senkbeil

Dell

Saunders

Gothberg

Maris

I would want something like summy said with two changes

Nelson-Knight-Kristo

MacMillan-Grimaldi-Parks

O'Donnell-Rowney-Rodwell

St. Clair-Pattyn-Koules

Forbort-MacWilliam

Simpson-Schmaltz

Mattson-Panzarella

If our top line comes back it could be the top line in the conference. MacMillian makes plays and showed that he can be a consistent point getter. I think Parks is going to absolutely explode next year. He was awesome this year and I would only expect improvement come next season. Throw Grimaldi, who is potentially the most talented of the three, in the middle and we have 2 lines that could be deadly. The 3rd and 4th lines have a good mix of talent, grit, and nastiness. Rowney showed major improvement since last year and is better than your average 3rd liner. Then you have Pattyn. He might be my favorite player on the team. Just a tough, hardnosed hockey player. I imagine we lose him for a game at some point next season for a fight.

D-Corps will be super talented. If Jones comes it will be unfair. Depending on how the draft falls and whether or not Jones comes we could have 3 1st round picks in the d corps. Add in MacWilliam, Mattson, and one of Simpson, Gleason, or Panzarella. With or without Jones that is still a very good groups of dmen.

I know that is a lot of ifs but it could be a year with some very high expectations. I'm praying the hockey gods throw us a bone after what we had to go through this season and we catch a few breaks regarding any departures this offseason.

It's hard to say right now, we have alot of forwards that have experience playing center. The big line of Nelson, Knight, Kristo could be split up and have Brock or Corban centering the 2nd line as well.

Glad someone finally mentioned this. Nelson was a center his whole life until this year and it wouldn't surprise me to see him centering the second line next year. He was put on wing this year due to us trying to find one dominant line. But it looks like we could have an abundance of centers on next years roster with Knight, Nelson, Rowney, Grimaldi, O'Donnel. Not a bad problem to have though.

Glad someone finally mentioned this. Nelson was a center his whole life until this year and it wouldn't surprise me to see him centering the second line next year. He was put on wing this year due to us trying to find one dominant line. But it looks like we could have an abundance of centers on next years roster with Knight, Nelson, Rowney, Grimaldi, O'Donnel. Not a bad problem to have though.

With 28 goals playing wing, I don't think the staff would tempt fate and move Nelson back to center unless there was an emergency.

Curious as to why people think they wouldn't keep the MacMillan-Rowney-Parks line together? Personally I think you at least start with them as your second line to see if they continue to play as well together as they did this season. I think they were often our best line over the second half of the year.

I realize these are just everyone's extremely early projections, and a lot can and will change, but assuming no early departures, my thinking is that the top two lines from this year stay together and you mix and match to find some good combos for the 3rd and 4th lines.

Curious as to why people think they wouldn't keep the MacMillan-Rowney-Parks line together? Personally I think you at least start with them as your second line to see if they continue to play as well together as they did this season. I think they were often our best line over the second half of the year.

I realize these are just everyone's extremely early projections, and a lot can and will change, but assuming no early departures, my thinking is that the top two lines from this year stay together and you mix and match to find some good combos for the 3rd and 4th lines.

Simply stated, Rocco Grimaldi isn't a third line player or talent. He belongs on the first line if not the second, but with the likelihood of Knight, Kristo, Nelson staying intact, there is no room for him on that first unit. He'll be playing with Parks and Mcmillan. Rowney gets the demotion making the team better and deeper with his talent at 3rd line center.