SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

Lets hope that the nchc sets up a conference tournament where a team does not have to win 3 games in 3 days!

I'd have to guess the NCHC tournament will consist of the first round like the WCHA, and then the winners advance to a semifinal, and championship weekend. That means 2 game maximum the week before the NCAA tournament.

Some food for thought...

John Marks (Head Coach of the Fargo Force) says he believes Gothberg will be UND's starting goaltender by Christmas even if Dell returns.

If losing to rival Minnesota on Sunday wasn’t bad, there’s even some more bad news for North Dakota goaltender Aaron Dell.

He might not be starting by Christmas, according to Fargo Force coach John Marks. Marks said after his team’s 4-2 win on Saturday he believes Force goaltender Zane Gothberg (North Dakota) has a legit shot of taking over as the No. 1 next season.

“I predict before Christmas Zane is the starting goalie at UND,” Marks said. “Dell better watch himself. But I also know he could leave too. (North Dakota head coach) Dave Hakstol and (assistant) Carey Eades and the Sioux have a good goalie coming in and he’s going to be one of the better ones they’ve had come in the last few years.”

http://slightlychilled.areavoices.com/?p=2012

Some food for thought...

John Marks (Head Coach of the Fargo Force) says he believes Gothberg will be UND's starting goaltender by Christmas even if Dell returns.

http://slightlychill...ces.com/?p=2012

Well, we all know Tate Maris probably wont be seeing any ice time but to go out and say that Gothberg will take over for Dell is a little ridicolus. The starting goaltending job is going to be Dell's to lose.

Whether Kristo, Nelson or Forbort stay, I'm really looking forward to watching this year's freshmen play next year. I think that group has the potential to have more impact than any single class in a long time. (And yes, it's just potential)

So right now what do you guys think our roster will look like next year with our class of recruits? Correct me if I'm wrong, but we have 4 openings as of now (3 seniors, Tate Maris leaving, and IF Knight, Nelson, Kristo, Dell, Forbert, all stay and noone transfers?)

Here's my guess(from a long ways out and with a long time for players to come and go still haha)

Nelson – Knight - Kristo

Rodwell - Grimaldi - Rowney

MacMillan – Parks - O'Donnell

St Clair – Pattyn – Gaarder

Forbort – Schmaltz

MacWilliam - Mattson

Simpson - Panzarella

Goalies: Dell, Saunders, Gothberg

Extras: Senkbeil, Gleason, Macmillan, Koules, Chyzyk, Ladue, Crisfield?

I haven't seen Zane play but if this team has any holes next year it will be in goal tending. Dell was great last year, however I don't believe he ever earned the spot this year. Neither did Eides for that matter. Don't get me wrong, I think Dell is a solid goal tender, he has the fundamentals down and is almost always in position and never gives up juicy rebounds but he has never been able to make the big saves that Eides could come up with. It's one of those tough calls as to which goal tender to choose since both were very good. I personally would have kept the rotation going into playoffs. But, I'm not a coach getting paid the big bucks.

Here's my guess(from a long ways out and with a long time for players to come and go still haha)

Nelson – Knight - Kristo

Forbort – Schmaltz

MacWilliam - Mattson

Simpson - Panzarella

Crisfield isn't coming in next year. At least I don't think so.

Nelson – Knight - Kristo

Forbort – Schmaltz

MacWilliam - Mattson

Simpson - Panzarella

That line up could cause some major headaches if it happens. The Gophers will be loaded with young talent too. Exciting year ahead.

Nelson – Knight - Kristo

Forbort – Schmaltz

MacWilliam - Mattson

Simpson - Panzarella

I really think Gleason will be in over Panzarella.

Crisfield isn't coming in next year. At least I don't think so.

If he does my guess is he redshirts. I don't see him getting much playing time since we're pretty well off at defense right now, but I just put him in there because he's a 1993 and Koules is planning on coming this year(last I heard anyway) and he's a 1994 born. I don't know the inside scoop on all of this though, I'm just making guesses.

I really don't see Chyzyk sitting next year, or Koules. Here is my lineup for next year, disregarding any potential early departures:

Nelson-Knight-Kristo

MacMillan-Grimaldi-Parks

O'Donnell-Rowney-Chyzyk

Rodwell-St.Clair/Pattyn-Koules

Mattson-MacWilliam

Schmaltz-Forbort

Gleason-Simpson

I really don't see Chyzyk sitting next year, or Koules. Here is my lineup for next year, disregarding any potential early departures:

Nelson-Knight-Kristo

MacMillan-Grimaldi-Parks

O'Donnell-Rowney-Chyzyk

Rodwell-St.Clair/Pattyn-Koules

Mattson-MacWilliam

Schmaltz-Forbort

Gleason-Simpson

This looks right to me. That 2nd line will be fun!

Kristo is the only guy I'm seriously thinking might leave, but we probably won't know that until summer.

I think everybody else will probably come back, or at least should come back to further their conditioning/game experience before moving to the next level, I think they need another year.

But after we were all blindsided by Hextalls departure last year nothing would surprise me.

As of now my lineup would be

Nelson-Knight-Kristo

MacMillan-Rowney-Grimaldi

Rodwell-Parks-Koules

O'Donnel-Pattyn-Gaarder

St.Clair-Chyzk-MacMillan-

Dickin-Dipuma?

MacWilliam-Mattson

Forbort-Schmaltz

Simpson-Gleason

Senkbeil-Panzerella

Dell

Gothberg

Saunders

It will be nice to hopefully have some depth and create competition within the team where guys have to perform every practice to play on the weekends.

Does anyone know if Di Puma is going to be eligible to come this year or not? Was his situation similar to St Clair's or not? We(or at least I) feel like my questions about St Clair have been answered, but when people ask about Di Puma there is never see an answer.

If Kristo leaves early, that leaves a big spot open in the first line RW slot, most people think we put Grimaldi there and call it good. I would totally agree with this but earlier this year Hakstol said he really likes Grimaldi at center. I would be very surprised if Rocco played wing next year, I think we will really like his tenacity in the defensive zone as a center.