SiouxSports.com Forum

Time is flying!!!

darell1976

On Friday March 23rd...the UND countdown to be official DI members will stand at 100 days!! Yes after 4 years of transition (not including the last year of our DII days) UND will be official DI members in all sports.

Remember the NCAA has to sign off on that.

Remember the NCAA has to sign off on that.

I don't see any reason they won't. If they can allow Alcorn State to be on sanctions so can UND. However all that may be over in a couple weeks when the NDSC comes back with their ruling.

The nickname has nothing to do with becoming a D1 member. Good to know you are paying that close of attention, though.

I may be wrong, but isn't it possible that the NCAA wouldn't allow a team that is currently on the sanctions list to transition until they are off the list. Again, that has been thrown around a bit, but not sure if it has any truth in it.

I may be wrong, but isn't it possible that the NCAA wouldn't allow a team that is currently on the sanctions list to transition until they are off the list. Again, that has been thrown around a bit, but not sure if it has any truth in it.

What's thrown out on BV is not always reality, believe it or not. Do you really think the NCAA is going to let UND know in JULY that they are not a D1 member because of a stupid lawsuit/referendum from a reservation that has nothing to do with UND? The football season starts in August.

• Upvote 1

UND has to complete a number of steps to finish the transition to Division I. It isn't just given to them. My guess is that the NCAA will go through the documents with a fine tooth comb. If they find anything that isn't right they can keep UND in transition. It doesn't mean that they will, but they could if they wanted to do that. And if UND is still in transition they can't be a full member of the Big Sky, which would give the conference a good excuse to vote UND out. Again, the Big Sky wouldn't have to do that, but they could. The transition will be done when the NCAA says it's done. Hopefully that's only about 100 days away.

What's thrown out on BV is not always reality, believe it or not. Do you really think the NCAA is going to let UND know in JULY that they are not a D1 member because of a stupid lawsuit/referendum from a reservation that has nothing to do with UND? The football season starts in August.

What's funny is I actually read that here. So maybe what's thrown out on Siouxsports isn't always reality, believe it or not.

With UND's history with the NCAA, do you really not think it is a possibility? They do what they want as history has shown. Keeping a team in transition because you won't abide by their rules would seem like business as usual for the NCAA.

What's funny is I actually read that here. So maybe what's thrown out on Siouxsports isn't always reality, believe it or not.

With UND's history with the NCAA, do you really not think it is a possibility? They do what they want as history has shown. Keeping a team in transition because you won't abide by their rules would seem like business as usual for the NCAA.

I'm sure admins at UND and the Big Sky have already ran through this scenario and have had talks with the NCAA about it. If they're not worried about than neither am I. The sanctions were laid out in black and white in the settlement, I'm not a lawyer but I would think that they might be contractually obligated to honor the sanctions the way they were originally stipulated. It's nice to know that our friends over in Bisonville are concerned about our well being and are pulling for us :silly:

• Upvote 1

I'm sure admins at UND and the Big Sky have already ran through this scenario and have had talks with the NCAA about it. If they're not worried about than neither am I. The sanctions were laid out in black and white in the settlement, I'm not a lawyer but I would think that they might be contractually obligated to honor the sanctions the way they were originally stipulated. It's nice to know that our friends over in Bisonville are concerned about our well being and are pulling for us :silly:

Oh that's right, I have to be a Sioux fan to have any sort of interest in a University in my home state. Additionally, anything that I say that might be viewed as negative towards UND will only be because I am a Bison fan, not because it just happens to be my opinion.

If the admins at UND were worried, do you think they would make it public knowledge?

I am not saying it is a fact, only that it seems to be a possibility with the NCAA's track record with UND.

The NCAA can change the sanctions as long as they are consistent for all schools under sanctions. I'm pretty sure that sanctions are not spelled out in the settlement agreement, although I would have to go back and check to be absolutely positive. So the NCAA can create or change the sanctions associated with not following the Native American policy.

That being said, I would be surprised if the NCAA made that change to be associated with the transition process. But as I said earlier, the NCAA could very well give extra special attention to all of the paperwork and procedures needed to finish the transition and could hold up the transition because something isn't done properly. We don't know if UND or Big Sky officials are concerned about this or not. NDSU officials expressed concerns about getting it right when they were finishing transition, so it probably isn't easy. That could easily tie into the Big Sky concerns that have been expressed in the past about UND being a quality member of the Big Sky. UND can't become a full member of the Big Sky until they become a full member of Division I, it says so right in the Big Sky bylaws.

Could the NCAA find a problem with UND's transition paperwork? Definitely. That's how they roll.

But would the NCAA also be smart enough to make sure the problem was with the transition paperwork and not a targetted expansion of moniker sanctions? Yes.

If the NCAA wants to find a way they'll do it but they'll also do it in a way where they stay "clean" in the process.

Could the NCAA find a problem with UND's transition paperwork? Definitely. That's how they roll.

But would the NCAA also be smart enough to make sure the problem was with the transition paperwork and not a targetted expansion of moniker sanctions? Yes.

If the NCAA wants to find a way they'll do it but they'll also do it in a way where they stay "clean" in the process.

Exactly. But the end result, and the message, will be clear.

Bison or not, he speaks the truth. don't trust the NCAA not to use the transition to DI as leverage.