SiouxSports.com Forum

Power of the Sioux Name and Logo

Rick

Went to the St. Patrick's Day parade in downtown Fargo and saw a hell of a lot of UND shirts and only a few NDSU ones.

Gosh, there sure are a lot of fixated people in Fargo. That must be the capital of the fixated people of the United States of America. With all the fixation going on there, I'm surprised that anything gets done! If you were outside of Fargo, you'd see a lot of less fixated people and doubt more and more people wearing some NDSU stuff. People that aren't as fixated and with fixated mindset. Those who didn't have to make as many clothing decisions because they, as less fixated peoples, and living outside of Fargo, have less NDSU clothing options as those fixated peoples in Fargo do.

Got that? :)

I was in Vegas about a year and a half ago and saw some Sioux shirts, I even did a "go sioux" to them.

C'mon man! So what? You saw a Sioux logo on the Vegas strip. The fans of any team can tell isolated stories about see a few people wearing their team's gear here and there. I happened to see a whole family wearing Bison gear at the Texas state fair this year - big deal. The only reason it's memorable is that it's rare.

Honestly, unless one of their sports teams happen to be playing in town, both Sioux and Bison gear are very rare outside of the upper midwest.

There is a pretty easy explanation why you don't see Bison gear anywhere. NDSU grads don't have any money because they went to a horrible school.

I was just going to say if they don't even have the money to buy it at Walmart, they won't be able to find it at Goodwill.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Didn't know where to put this so I thought I would throw it here

Via Brad Schlossman, there is a high school team in South Bend, IN using an altered version of the Sioux logo

2q2lgxy.png

That can't be legal can it? I noticed the Feather in the head dress and some of the facepaint is different.

That can't be legal can it? I noticed the Feather in the head dress and some of the facepaint is different.

When I played for Century High School's hockey team, the team had to change from the Calgary Flames logo to CHS. The logo Century used was red, while, and blue. From what I heard the Flames didn't like that the Century hockey team was using the flaming "C" logo.

I highly doubt that logo is legal and would guess they will be receiving a letter very soon - Trust me I know. Regarding the power of the Sioux nickname I wore my Sioux Forever shirt around Alexandria, MN last week and was asked by several people where I got it - that was an easy answer.

I'm surprised the PC Police haven't jumped all over this.

Is that high school team in South Bend an ice sledge hockey team? Great, now UND lawyers can play hard ball and get all heavy handed on a bunch of kids with disabilities right in the NCAA's back yard. Rich. Just rich. We'll come out looking like the bad guy again. You can't make this stuff up.

• Upvote 1

UND wants to protect the copyright of the logo. Suppose UND does send them a letter, requesting that the school send an official request to UND to use the logo. UND can grant permission within proper guidelines, thus protecting the copyright, I assume. But what might the NCAA do then?

Is that high school team in South Bend an ice sledge hockey team? Great, now UND lawyers can play hard ball and get all heavy handed on a bunch of kids with disabilities right in the NCAA's back yard. Rich. Just rich. We'll come out looking like the bad guy again. You can't make this stuff up.

FWIW, they do have a regular ice hockey team as well. That team was the one competing in South Bend last weekend.

I originally picked the other photo because you can really see the logo

i2kjf7.jpg

Love your jealousy - Keep it up!

no reason to be jealous. We have one bad ass hockey team that has won 7 national titles and yes 0 football titles in D1. Kind of the same card you guys pull every year about UND not have a football team, Flip it turn around and reverse it. Where's your hockey team. NDSU winning is good for Fargo and North Dakota in whole just like UND hockey is to GF and the World... :)

I highly doubt that logo is legal and would guess they will be receiving a letter very soon - Trust me I know.

It's not clear to me why this has been such a big deal lately... while it seems like we all grew up around plenty of lower tier schools blatantly using pro and college team logos, there've been a ton of stories of crackdowns over the last decade.

I get that the trademark violation is real and that not protecting your trademark opens you up to losing it, but it's not clear why this became such an issue in the last 10 years. Was there some landmark case where a team lost the ability to enforce its trademark because they'd been ignoring the local high school's use of it?

Promotion or piracy: Logo issues on the rise gave the issue a nice treatment a couple years ago. I'm not sure I buy the brand dilution argument, either; no one is confusing the Minnesota Vikings with a middle school.

UND wants to protect the copyright of the logo. Suppose UND does send them a letter, requesting that the school send an official request to UND to use the logo. UND can grant permission within proper guidelines, thus protecting the copyright, I assume. But what might the NCAA do then?

The original settlement agreement made it clear that UND could not assign or release any rights to the "Fighting Sioux mark", except to a Sioux nation or tribe. I'm guessing their goal was to stop UND from using licensing to continue using the logo informally for itself, not to stop UND from letting some distant high school use it for $1.

Of course, that section was (probably unintentionally) conditional on UND choosing a new nickname, and the agreement has since been modified (e.g. to allow REA to keep some extra logos). But, it's still a good bet that the NCAA wouldn't like it.

Tonight in the grocery store in Fergus Falls they had UND green and white tortilla chips from www.teamsnacks.com, They were very impressive in the UND colors. However, the sale sign on the shelf identified them as NDSU "Sioux" tortilla chips. I brought a bag to the checkout and informed them that it was NDSU Bison and UND Sioux (I didn't even get into the fact that they are no longer officially Sioux). They even rang up on the cash register as NDSU Sioux. After I had the name thing cleared up, the woman commented "well at least they were on the shelf next to the Minnesota Gopher chips." I told that she wasn't helping things.

UND has to protect the logo, it doesn't make them bad, it's the way copyright laws work - same reason Disney has to shut down daycares that use Disney icons without permission. If you don't protect it in all instances you lose control of it.