SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 NDSU schedule

darell1976

I thought this may need to be brought up. Scheduling is tough we all know that, but for NDSU it could be the toughest ever. Gene Taylor and his Bison fans have vowed never to play a non-DI team well reality may hit them this season...According to Dom Izzo NDSU is down to 15-20 FCS teams left to schedule a game for Sept 15 or 22nd. That was February 20th... since then Savannah State and Idaho State have found FBS teams to finish off their schedules so now the number is roughly 13-18 teams. Wouldn't it serve NDSU fans right if they actually had to schedule a DII team or a NAIA team? After years of making fun of us for having non DI teams on our schedule..paybacks are a coming, and Lakes is a panicing.

• Upvote 1

I thought this may need to be brought up. Scheduling is tough we all know that, but for NDSU it could be the toughest ever. Gene Taylor and his Bison fans have vowed never to play a non-DI team well reality may hit them this season...According to Dom Izzo NDSU is down to 15-20 FCS teams left to schedule a game for Sept 15 or 22nd. That was February 20th... since then Savannah State and Idaho State have found FBS teams to finish off their schedules so now the number is roughly 13-18 teams. Wouldn't it serve NDSU fans right if they actually had to schedule a DII team or a NAIA team? After years of making fun of us for having non DI teams on our schedule..paybacks are a coming, and Lakes is a panicing.

A friend from NDSU and I are planning on attending the Colorado State University game in early September. At first, he thought NDSU had good shot at beating CSU. Now, with CSU's new coaching staff, he's not so sure. It will be an interesting matchup for both programs. I'm sure when CSU signed the contract, they had no idea how quickly NDSU would develop at the FCS level. However, that CSU coach, Jim McElwain (the recent Alabama offensive co-ordinator) is commanding a 1.35 million dollar salary and there are high, high expectations.

A friend from NDSU and I are planning on attending the Colorado State University game in early September. At first, he thought NDSU had good shot at beating CSU. Now, with CSU's new coaching staff, he's not so sure. It will be an interesting matchup for both programs. I'm sure when CSU signed the contract, they had no idea how quickly NDSU would develop at the FCS level. However, that CSU coach, Jim McElwain (the recent Alabama offensive co-ordinator) is commanding a 1.35 million dollar salary and there are high, high expectations.

I wouldn't be suprised if NDSU wins...CSU has won 9 games in the last 3 years. All 3-9 seasons.

I wouldn't be suprised if NDSU wins...CSU has won 9 games in the last 3 years. All 3-9 seasons.

I'm not so sure. CSU has had real coaching problems recently. Steve Fairchild, the recently canned coach, came from the NFL and laid an almost three inch thick playbook on his offense. The kids were confused as all Hell. This new guy could turn it around quickly. I could see them winning 7 or 8 games.

But, they could deteriorate just as quickly. Well, I guess that's why they play the games! :lol:

I'm not so sure. CSU has had real coaching problems recently. Steve Fairchild, the recently canned coach, came from the NFL and laid an almost three inch thick playbook on his offense. The kids were confused as all Hell. This new guy could turn it around quickly. I could see them winning 7 or 8 games.

But, they could deteriorate just as quickly. Well, I guess that's why they play the games! :lol:

They would have been better off just drawing up a play in the dirt.

They would have been better off just drawing up a play in the dirt.

I agree.

CSU is making big plans. They want a new stadium on campus. Big talk right now, but other than paying the big $$ to the n ew coach, nothing is set in stone. But, the expectations are high. And now they have a guy who understands how to win at the college level. It could be interesting.

But, they lost a few players loyal the the old coach. Recruiting is hurting a bit due to the transition. The usual stuff when a new coach comes in. But, if NDSU plays at the level they did this past year, it could be an interesting game.

I took my last year of classes through CSU. transfered the credits and finished my undergrad degree at UND, so I generally pull for the Rams in these situations. But, hey, if my buddy feeds me enough good Odell's ale from Fort Collins, I could be swayed. Plus, I am busy with a grad program at Wyoming, so my loyalties in the MWC are with the Cowboys now.

Teams still open for NDSU to schedule (remember Bison fans want a HOME game): (thanks to SamsRams on BVille for the list)

Teams who have 22nd off and dont have 11th game scheduled that we know of

Hampton Open MEAC

NC A&T Open MEAC

Alabama St Open SWAC

Arkansas P-B Open SWAC

Grambling Open SWAC

Prairie View Open SWAC

teams who have 15th off and dont have 11th game scheduled that we know of

Davidson @Jacksonville (could be oct 13th instead)

Jacksonville @Davidson (could be oct 13th instead)

Alabama St Open SWAC

Alcorn St Open SWAC

Arkansas P-B Open SWAC

Grambling Open SWAC

NC A&T Open MEAC

Southern Utah Open (would be brutal first four games for them if they came to Fargo)

Central Arkansas Open (would be brutal first four games for them if they came to Fargo)

http://www.champions...2012-schedules/

But how many of them already have 5 road games and are most likely not looking to schedule a 6th toad game?

Since they are MEAC and SWAC teams it is very unlikely they will want to fly up to Fargo. Bison fans (including Lakes) is screaming against a DII team but reality might kick in the next month or so. I think Idaho St. getting Nebraska was a huge blow to them.

Alabama St has 1 road game

Ark PB has 2 road games

Grambling has 4 road games

PV has 4 road games

Alcorn State has 5 road games ( basically count them out)

Hampton has 4 road games

NC A&T has 4 road games

Davidson has 3 road games

Jacsonville has 6 road games (they would never get a 7th)

SUU has 6 road games (never a 7th) Would start the year @ Utah St, @ Cal, @ NDSU @ Portland St. (I think not)

UCA has 5 road games but would start the year @ Ole Miss, @ Murray St, @ NDSU, vs SHSU @ SFA (I don't think so)

My guess is NDSU will have to bite the bullet and go on the road to play an FCS team. I don't see them bringing in a D2 or NAIA team and only have 10 FCS games. Hopefully this will be a eye opener for the schedule makers at NDSU. There is an OAC FCS team 70 miles away that is willing to come to your place. Only thing they ask in return is that you play at their place!!

Since they are MEAC and SWAC teams it is very unlikely they will want to fly up to Fargo. Bison fans (including Lakes) is screaming against a DII team but reality might kick in the next month or so. I think Idaho St. getting Nebraska was a huge blow to them.

Ark PB has 2 road games

PV has 4 road games

Hampton has 4 road games

NC A&T has 4 road games

SUU has 6 road games (never a 7th) Would start the year @ Utah St, @ Cal, @ NDSU @ Portland St. (I think not)

UCA has 5 road games but would start the year @ Ole Miss, @ Murray St, @ NDSU, vs SHSU @ SFA (I don't think so)

I guess the beaches and palm trees of Fargo are not enough of an enticement.

My guess is NDSU will have to bite the bullet and go on the road to play an FCS team. I don't see them bringing in a D2 or NAIA team and only have 10 FCS games. Hopefully this will be a eye opener for the schedule makers at NDSU. There is an OAC FCS team 70 miles away that is willing to come to your place. Only thing they ask in return is that you play at their place!!

UNI is in the same boat since Savannah St backed out to play FSU. They only have 10 games. They are paying 250K to have a team come to the UNI Dome but no takers.

Ark PB has 2 road games

PV has 4 road games

Hampton has 4 road games

NC A&T has 4 road games

Per tweet from Dom Izzo: Let's cross a few more #FCS teams off for #NDSU: Samford+Gardner-Webb will play each other 9/15, Alcorn State out for 9/15 #Bison

Its not too late to schedule MSU-Moorhead. Sioux Falls and Minot State are all booked up for 2012.

• 2 weeks later...