SiouxSports.com Forum

Final Five Questions

GFG

Tom Reid's last year before Frozen 4 was great. Lots of Sioux Fans of course, but some really nice Gopher, Badger, Denver, Tech, and even some BC folks. If I recall, the ones that were kind of arrogant were the Notre Dame fans. Didn't see any Omaha or Clown representation.

Tom Reids is a very good place to go before and after the Final Five.

Here are a few other suggestions for food and drink in St Paul. If you are staying at the Embassy Suites and don’t want to hang out with the cops and Bears fans that live at Alary’s, go left (NE) on 7th for a block or two to Sibly and then right for one block to 6th. This area is called lower town. On Sibley you will pass Trattoria da Vinci (or something like that). It’s a great casual Italian place where you go up to the cooks and tell them exactly how you want your pasta. I’m told it’s common to find Wild players in there before games. Lots of pasta at a good price and much better than Cossetta’s. Along 6th (to your left) there’s a fun Tequila bar/restaurant called Barrio and Bulldogs, a good beer and burger joint. There also a wine bar (Bin) and a very upscale restaurant called Heartland. One word of caution, to walk back to Xcel, take 7th. Don’t walk down 5th or 6th after dark. That will take you through an area that’s as close to bad as downtown SP has.

If you are staying at Crown Plaza or are in that area, check out Senor Wongs on 4th. It’s a great Asian/Mexican fusion joint that always has good food and great beer. Be aware that for some reason they don’t serve their best food in the bar. Just in the dining room. Go figure. You are also close to American Burger. It doesn’t suck.

If you are around Xcel and want to go for a long walk or take a car/cab, I would suggest going up to Selby. It’s the first street past the cathedral. The first place you come to (4 blks?) is Moscow on the Hill. Good food and lots of vodka. It’s a pretty fun place for a group. Make a reservation. A few blocks further is the Happy Gnome. It is the best beer bar in the twin cities. They have something like 140 taps with craft beers from all over the world. One night here and you’ll never drink a bud light again. If you get as far as Dale Street, take a left and go to the Muddy Pig or Sweeny’s. Both great old SP bars. Don’t go any further west on Selby. There’s nothing for a long time.

If you’re young and want to check out the local talent, there are more colleges in St Paul than any other city in the county. You won’t find the girls hanging out on 7th though. Check out the bars and little restaurants along Grand Ave. The further west you go the closer you are to Macalester, Saint Cates, Saint Thomas, Hamlin, etc. The good news, probably no Gopher fans! Probably not Sioux fans either though.

Have fun!

I used to live 6 blocks from The Nook and their Molitor burger is my favorite juicy lucy. Usually the 5-8 and Matt's are the places that get the most publicity. The Blue Door gets pretty good reviews but hasn't been around long enough to compete with the others.

BTW, Shamrocks on 7th is a sister to the Nook. It's much bigger and easier to find although die hards claim their grill hasn't seasoned long enough to make good burgers.

And I almost forgot, just off 35E at Randolf is a small "gourmet" taco joint owned and operated by a couple of UND alums. Great Place! Rusty's Tacos.

Here are a few other suggestions for food and drink in St Paul. If you are staying at the Embassy Suites and don’t want to hang out with the cops and Bears fans that live at Alary’s, go left (NE) on 7th for a block or two to Sibly and then right for one block to 6th. This area is called lower town. On Sibley you will pass Trattoria da Vinci (or something like that). It’s a great casual Italian place where you go up to the cooks and tell them exactly how you want your pasta. I’m told it’s common to find Wild players in there before games. Lots of pasta at a good price and much better than Cossetta’s. Along 6th (to your left) there’s a fun Tequila bar/restaurant called Barrio and Bulldogs, a good beer and burger joint. There also a wine bar (Bin) and a very upscale restaurant called Heartland. One word of caution, to walk back to Xcel, take 7th. Don’t walk down 5th or 6th after dark. That will take you through an area that’s as close to bad as downtown SP has.

If you are staying at Crown Plaza or are in that area, check out Senor Wongs on 4th. It’s a great Asian/Mexican fusion joint that always has good food and great beer. Be aware that for some reason they don’t serve their best food in the bar. Just in the dining room. Go figure. You are also close to American Burger. It doesn’t suck.

If you are around Xcel and want to go for a long walk or take a car/cab, I would suggest going up to Selby. It’s the first street past the cathedral. The first place you come to (4 blks?) is Moscow on the Hill. Good food and lots of vodka. It’s a pretty fun place for a group. Make a reservation. A few blocks further is the Happy Gnome. It is the best beer bar in the twin cities. They have something like 140 taps with craft beers from all over the world. One night here and you’ll never drink a bud light again. If you get as far as Dale Street, take a left and go to the Muddy Pig or Sweeny’s. Both great old SP bars. Don’t go any further west on Selby. There’s nothing for a long time.

If you’re young and want to check out the local talent, there are more colleges in St Paul than any other city in the county. You won’t find the girls hanging out on 7th though. Check out the bars and little restaurants along Grand Ave. The further west you go the closer you are to Macalester, Saint Cates, Saint Thomas, Hamlin, etc. The good news, probably no Gopher fans! Probably not Sioux fans either though.

Have fun!

Don't forget Fabulous Fern's just west of Moscow on the other side of the street, bar and nice dining, reasonable and close in. Sioux fan in MSP and go there once a week. Not a hot bed, but good food and reasonable prices with popcorn etc. If you want to go upscale LaGrolla right across the parking lot is wonderful. Sunday brunch too. Also, another place is nice is Woodfire Grill across from Reid's, more $, but good food etc. And Mo's Burgers, all good choices within walking distance of the X. On the other hand for the future, was in Omaha a week ago. Also a great spot for the NCHC final whatever. Really impressed with the old market area. Had not been there for 40 years. Could easily be happy with a new venue for the NCHC there.

Matt's has the best!

I've heard Matt's are awesome too. So many to try!

Nope, but hook me up! Lol......

Lol there's places all over MPLS/SP that serve them. Not sure what one is closest to the X, I'm sure I can find out if any are near it.

The Coney's at the Gopher bar suck, the staff is old and obnoxious and the place stinks. If it's not a Gopher bar is sure smells like one! Everyone should go there once. It's actually pretty fun.

Now if you are looking for a good dog, head east about a mile from the X to Chris and Robs. It's a small train car on the right side of 7th. Great authentic Chicago dogs and sandwiches.

Hypothetical question...if UND plays on Thursday in the F5, anyone know how the WCHA determines what time slot teams play in?

Last year they played the 3 v 6 quarterfinal in the early slot. It makes sense to give the 3 seed the early slot so as to give them the longest possible rest between games. If MN stays in first, it would probably stay that way, but should they drop to 2 and the MN rule is in effect, who knows?

Edit: After thinking about it for a second, the MN rule shouldn't matter because the early QF slot gives the 3 seed maximum rest regardless of the situation.

Last year they played the 3 v 6 quarterfinal in the early slot. It makes sense to give the 3 seed the early slot so as to give them the longest possible rest between games. If MN stays in first, it would probably stay that way, but should they drop to 2 and the MN rule is in effect, who knows?

Edit: After thinking about it for a second, the MN rule shouldn't matter because the early QF slot gives the 3 seed maximum rest regardless of the situation.

Minnesota will play the night game on Friday. I don't think anybody would argue that. If they are the #1 seed and the 3/6 game is played on Thursday afternoon, that would force the winner of the 4/5 game to turn around and play Friday afternoon after a Thursday night game. In this situation, wouldn't they flip those Thursday games?

EDIT: Scratch that thought. The 4/5 winner would play the #1 seed, so they'd play Minnesota at night in this scenario.

Edited by fargosioux

So if the top 4 seeds hold serve from here on out and UND is #4, they probably play the late game Thursday is what you are saying?

Minnesota will play the night game on Friday. I don't think anybody would argue that. If they are the #1 seed and the 3/6 game is played on Thursday afternoon, that would force the winner of the 4/5 game to turn around and play Friday afternoon after a Thursday night game. In this situation, wouldn't they flip those Thursday games?

I'm assuming you meant to say "if they AREN'T the #1 seed..."

The winner of the 3v6 game plays the 2. The winner of the 4v5 plays the 1. The 1 gets the night game unless MN finishes 2. In the previous 5-team format, the WCHA has forced the Thursday night 4/5 winner to turn around and play Friday afternoon several times, so there is precedent for this. In 2004 we were the #1 and got to play the 4/5 winner (UAA) Friday afternoon because the Gophers were the 3. Same with 2001. The point you make is still valid, though, because under the current format there is an option to give the 4/5 game winner more rest with an earlier game that did not exist under the previous format. I can't say for sure what the league would do.

So if the top 4 seeds hold serve from here on out and UND is #4, they probably play the late game Thursday is what you are saying?

Essentially, yes...

Please do explain...

It's essentially the most popular burger in the TC and it originated there. They take 2 1/4 beef patties and put some cheese in the middle of them. Then they pinch the patties together to make one half pound patty that, when cooked, has a pocket of hot, molten cheese oosing from the inside. It's delicioius.

It's essentially the most popular burger in the TC and it originated there. They take 2 1/4 beef patties and put some cheese in the middle of them. Then they pinch the patties together to make one half pound patty that, when cooked, has a pocket of hot, molten cheese oosing from the inside. It's delicioius.

You have got to stop talking about this! I'm getting excited to get there, eat sonic dogs and find a Juicey Lucy! Oh yea and watch some hockey!!!

I have saved all the info on the good food joints you have given GFG, thanks.........

Also the KOD is a twenty dollar ride including tip!

Always fun to end the night there ;)........