SiouxSports.com Forum

Baseball 2012

GeauxSioux

Take away the Great West teams on the schedule and that is a good looking non conference schedule. I want to give the baseball coaches credit as they keep plugging away despite lack of conference. I think if someone in the athletics dept. would just make a phone call to the Summit league we could be accepted for baseball only. That conference is hanging on by a thread and needs members dearly. We would be an instant contender in that league, especially after Oral Roberts leaves after the year.

Take away the Great West teams on the schedule and that is a good looking non conference schedule. I want to give the baseball coaches credit as they keep plugging away despite lack of conference. I think if someone in the athletics dept. would just make a phone call to the Summit league we could be accepted for baseball only. That conference is hanging on by a thread and needs members dearly. We would be an instant contender in that league, especially after Oral Roberts leaves after the year.

Or talk the BSC teams into getting baseball back.

Or talk the BSC teams into getting baseball back.

Not gonna happen.................

Including the new members of North Dakota and Southern Utah, the Big Sky has 4 total members that sponsor the sport.

UND would be far better off cutting baseball and diverting the resources elseware......................

• Upvote 2

Baseball has had a couple of very good recruiting years in a row and it will be interesting to see how they develop. Drop baseball?? Heck no we need to step up our support. Can be fun with a few beers and warm sun in late April or May to heckle some umps and spit seeds.

Baseball has had a couple of very good recruiting years in a row and it will be interesting to see how they develop. Drop baseball?? Heck no we need to step up our support. Can be fun with a few beers and warm sun in late April or May to heckle some umps and spit seeds.

I love the sport of baseball. But I'd be interested to see the drag that the sport has on UND's bottom line. It was different in the NCC when 9 of 10 teams were within a few hours drive of Grand Forks so that weather was not nearly as big a factor.

It's kind of like a farmer near Dickinson trying to plant sugar beets just because they do around Fargo...................

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/cuts-in-uni-athletics-anticipated/article_2de88a71-7ec4-5f84-8177-0a0be2f98e14.html

"If you go back to when we eliminated baseball we were running a major deficit and there was a million dollar cut on top of that," he said. "The situations that led to that aren't in place today."

Even with that UNI is looking to cut more money from athletics.

UNI had to eliminate baseball because of budget cuts, I wonder how long baseball will last at UND. With the Division I, expenses are increasing dramastically from D2, but Revenue seems to be about the same. I think its only a matter of time before UND finds itself needing to reduce expenses.

• 1 month later...

http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205404194

The series, which was slated for April 1-2 at the Metrodome in Minneapolis, will now be split between Grand Forks and Fargo. The series opener will be held Friday at 2 p.m. at Kraft Field along with Sunday’s series finale at 1 p.m.

The teams will play a Saturday doubleheader at Newman Outdoor Field in Fargo starting at 1 p.m.

Well the team will get 2 more home games this season. Hopefully the weather holds out and a decent crowd shows up to support the team.

This will be the third straight season the teams have met, but Friday’s meeting at Kraft Field will be the first there since UND beat the Bison twice at home in 2004. The Sioux own 3-2 mark against NDSU since the rivalry resumed in 2010.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think the future looks fairly good for the baseball team. The top two hitters on the team, average-wise, are both freshmen (Follis and Campbell); as of a week or two ago, when he was hitting .397 (he's now hitting .385), Follis had the highest batting average in the nation among freshmen. The top home run hitter on the team, with 11, is a freshman (Campbell). Also, all four starters in the weekend series just completed, three of which we won, were freshmen (Thome, Ruemmele, Clark, and Campbell), one of which has thrown two consecutive complete-game shutouts (Thome). Finally, only one non-pitcher starter, sometimes two, is a senior. The team is only 11-32 on the season but they've won 8 of their last 11. I think they're going to be pretty good in a year or two.

Gerber was the most important. The second doesn't come to mind right now. Let me do a little research. It could be that the other one just finished his soph. year rather than freshman.

Thanks. I think that if Coach Dodson has another good recruiting year, the team could be better than they've been in quite a while. They need at least two more quality pitchers and 2-3 more good hitters, preferably one being a third baseman to replace Bolander, who is a senior. The freshman pitchers have improved markedly as the season has gone on and, with the addition of two more quality arms, the pitching staff could become the team strength, in contrast to the last few years.

• 3 weeks later...

The Sioux win 1-0 yesterday behind a 2-hit shutout by Thome in the opening round of the Great West Tourney, and come back to win 18-7 today, with Campbell contributing another home run and 6 RBI's. After finishing in 6th place, the Sioux are one win away from the championship round. Great job, Sioux! Hope you've got 2 wins left in you.

The team lost to Utah Valley and then Houston Baptist to finish 3rd in the tournament for the second consecutive year.

Congratulations to freshmen Andrew Thome and Jeff Campbell and junior Kris Kwak for being selected to the All-Tournament Team.

UVU finished the season on the bubble of making the NCAA tournament. The Wolverines were ranked 27th, are 47-12 on the year, have won 40 of their last 41 games and lead all Division I teams in wins (47), scoring margin (+4.0), batting (.350), slugging (.523), on-base percentage (.436), runs (522), runs per game (9.0), hits (711) and total bases (1062). The school hosted a selection show party on campus today in the hopes of making their 1st ever national tournament at the DI level. They were left out of the tournament.

This is just more proof on how important being in an auto-bid conference is to ALL of our sports teams.

• Upvote 1