SiouxSports.com Forum

What happens if the first petition gains enough signatures?

jimdahl

No, dagies, it's even simpler than any of that -- it's the law. They have to. University lawyers interpret the law to say that once the petitions are filed and certified, "the repeal" is on hold, thus, the law on the books before the repeal would go into effect until the June vote decides the matter. Dumb, I know, but that's how they're interpreting the law.

Well, this is the question I was getting at... assume UND feels obligated to follow the old law. The law is "[uND] shall be known as the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux". That doesn't particularly obligate UND to use or not use that name in any particular setting. Even if UND wanted to be in compliance with that, there's a lot of space between their current non-use of "Sioux" and their previous plastering it everywhere.

However, they'd at least be violating the spirit of the "may not take action to discontinue" clause if they used the name any less than they were on Jan. 1, 2011, so a return to full use of the name is probably deemed most respectful to the law of the land and the will of the people from a PR perspective (even if it seems a bit unnecessary legally).

Watching Fetch, DaveK, and Chewey here is like watching three monkeys dancing on barbed wire.

And, watching Watchmaker49 attempt to construct a cogent thought process here is like watching a video of Harry Harlow's rhesus monkey experiments in first-year psychology. Now there's an image both entirely pertinent and unique given the subject matter.

• Upvote 3

And, watching Watchmaker49 attempt to construct a cogent thought process here is like watching a video of Harry Harlow's rhesus monkey experiments in first-year psychology. Now there's an image both entirely pertinent and unique given the subject matter.

Really, you know, you two oughta get a room. There is this cute little function on here called "PM," or Private Messaging. I respectfully suggest that you guys use it. No matter how much you guys think we want to navigate through your ridiculous personal attacks on each other and your snarky rejoinders, we really don't give a spit about what either of you think about each other, we don't care about how adept you are at using the English language to slap the other down, and we sure as hell don't care for attempts to expose who the other is (Yeah, that means you watchmaker49!). You may think we are hanging onto every verbal volley between you two, and you may think we appreciate the masterful Dickensian grip you guys think you have on the English language and the high falutin $100 words you use as much as you guys love reading your own literary genius. But fact is, most of us are here just to have healthy and spirited debates about UND issues, and most of all, UND ATHLETICS, not to get sucked into your personal pissing contest. Now I could hit "ignore," but then I would miss the many well-reasoned opinions that you guys bring to the table, all of which I do believe contribute to the healthy debates that I mentioned earlier.

End rant.

Now how 'bout that women's hockey team, up to fourth in the Pairwise. Way to sweep Bemidji this weekend, Ladies!!!

• Upvote 2

Really, you know, you two oughta get a room. There is this cute little function on here called "PM," or Private Messaging. I respectfully suggest that you guys use it. No matter how much you guys think we want to navigate through your ridiculous personal attacks on each other and your snarky rejoinders, we really don't give a spit about what either of you think about each other, we don't care about how adept you are at using the English language to slap the other down, and we sure as hell don't care for attempts to expose who the other is (Yeah, that means you watchmaker49!). You may think we are hanging onto every verbal volley between you two, and you may think we appreciate the masterful Dickensian grip you guys think you have on the English language and the high falutin $100 words you use as much as you guys love reading your own literary genius. But fact is, most of us are here just to have healthy and spirited debates about UND issues, and most of all, UND ATHLETICS, not to get sucked into your personal pissing contest. Now I could hit "ignore," but then I would miss the many well-reasoned opinions that you guys bring to the table, all of which I do believe contribute to the healthy debates that I mentioned earlier.

End rant.

Now how 'bout that women's hockey team, up to fourth in the Pairwise. Way to sweep Bemidji this weekend, Ladies!!!

So the UND women's hockey team is now in a position to be the first to feel the wrath of NCAA sanctions if the petitions are successful.

I feel asleep a lot in that class, it was boring.

So the UND women's hockey team is now in a position to be the first to feel the wrath of NCAA sanctions if the petitions are successful.

If they make the NCAA playoffs they wouldn't be able to host a series is what I was told by the Alumni Director last spring.

No, dagies, it's even simpler than any of that -- it's the law. They have to. University lawyers interpret the law to say that once the petitions are filed and certified, "the repeal" is on hold, thus, the law on the books before the repeal would go into effect until the June vote decides the matter. Dumb, I know, but that's how they're interpreting the law.

"University lawyers", you mean like the esteemed Julie "I've never practiced law a day in my life, but I'm a general counsel" Evans? She's probably more interested in covering her ass than actually representing a client aggressively. Situations like this call for unbiased legal representation, not half-baked, spineless reasoning by people drawing their paychecks from the state. UND's hired outside firms before, ala the NC$$ litigation, so I don't see why they don't follow the same tack now.

"University lawyers", you mean like the esteemed Julie "I've never practiced law a day in my life, but I'm a general counsel" Evans? She's probably more interested in covering her ass than actually representing a client aggressively. Situations like this call for unbiased legal representation, not half-baked, spineless reasoning by people drawing their paychecks from the state. UND's hired outside firms before, ala the NC$$ litigation, so I don't see why they don't follow the same tack now.

I agree.

Well...in order to put a hold on the hold I guess it's time to start the petition to repeal the repeal of the repeal! :lol:

Well...in order to put a hold on the hold I guess it's time to start the petition to repeal the repeal of the repeal! :lol:

What a mess!? LOL! Now I am hearing that UND probably won't even wait until any kind of a certification or verification of signatures, as once the petitions are filed, the repeal is repealed and were back in NCAA violation until the June vote decides it. It would seem rediculous to not verify the signatures first, but that's the way some are reading the law. I will beleive it when I see it. Who really knows? Guess we all will tomorrow!

http://www.valleynew...have-signatures

Seems we may be live witnesses to what UND will do.

North Dakota Secretary of State, Al Jaeger says if nickname supporters file the required 13,500 signatures, it will instantly restore the original legislation that requires North Dakota and UND to keep the Fighting Sioux nickname. Then, Jaeger says their office will verify the signatures within 35 days. If they wind up with fewer than 13,500 "good" signatures, the law will return to drop the nickname.

Al Jaeger, ND Sec. Of State: "We will randomly select at least 2,000 names that we will be contacting with post cards or other means to verify certain information. We go through a very thorough process."

I'm guessing this will be a more thorough than usual "thorough process".

I wonder what folks will say and do when the UND womens hockey team earns a home first-round NCAA playoff series but is denied it by the NCAA because of the NCAA moniker policy and this petition putting UND back under sanction of it.

Come on, women's hockey doesn't matter. :devil::whistling: