• Black Bears
    • Wild Cats
    • Anyone but the Gophers

Here is how I think it will go:

Minnesota vs Michigan: Minnesota

Maine vs New Hampshire: UNH

Championship: UNH

I picked UNH too. :)

Just a hunch. Michigan is hot and they will beat you up. I think their style of play bodes well in a NHL Rink...

I'd picked UNH also, but Michigan looked really good. Good size, they play really physical and take away open ice, the very thing the Gophs have not dealt well with this year. Plus, Mich has speed and talent up front. They looked much better last weekend that in any of the games I saw them in on Fox Detroit this season.

Sure don't want Mich to get #10 but I think they they have a good shot at it.

I hope the WCHA representative MN wins it.. I hope John Pohl has a great weekend as he is a gladiator and a great leader.

For him not to be a Hobie Candidate is a shame,

Kinda like Jeff Panzer not making it...

I really hope that Woogs recruits Pohl, Leopold, Welsh, Anthony, Angel, Hauser, Taffe, Riddle get the job done for Coach Lucia... he is a great coach..

Heck Asst. Coach Bob Motzko is a great coach as is Guentzel..

Go Gophers smoke Michigan if they don't I can only hope they lose to Michigan so Michigan can eradicate the Eastern Plague '

And if Michigan or Minnesota can't win I am pulling for Tom Reimann and the Black Bears if MN and Michigan can't win let it be The Maine Black Bears.  If the Black Bears get Beat we will be stuck with New Hampshire.   I don't have any feeling for that team at all I just don't have a feel for them at all... :)

Actually I wouldn't be surprise to see Maine win it. There is a lot emotions on that team with Coach Walsh dying. The more I think about it the more I could see them winning. Goaltending is Minnesota's achillies heal. I just don't think UofM can score enough goals to counter act Hauser.

I don't think I dare pick a team, because out of the regional games I only had 2 games go the way I wanted them to go.  There were some big hits doled out by the Wolverines - I'm actually anxious for DeMarchi to get a chance to use his strength (just PLEASE use some common sense!).  When the games are regular season WCHA games I have to admit to the philosophy of "abtg", but as the wcha's only rep. I know that come game time I'll be sucked into cheering for them - especially against Michigan - I just don't like the Wolverines!  :)   I guess if they win it all I'll justify it by saying that they had to stoop to using a 21 (?) year old soph from Grand Forks ND to go all the way!  ;)

Denver coach George G. was on the radio this morning with Tim and Swyg.  

He hopes - although it pains him to say - that the gophers advance to the final - and that on their way to the final game that they administer a kicking  :) .  He expected Denver to advance to the final - like every coach expects their team to advance - he thought both teams, Denver and Michigan, played well but at this point in the season all teams are good so luck plays a part in who advances, he mentioned the 2 posts they hit in the 3rd period.  The road for Denver was pretty difficult, one week playing CC  and then UM in Mpls, then flying out to play Michigan at Yost the next week, BUT you can't have it perfect, "we had to control our destiny" and we lost.  - my own commentary:  for a number 1 seed that is a pretty ugly road to travel!

The goaltender Dub..... has had much attention directed his way but it's hard to say at this point if there'll be an offer worth leaving for - probably middle of summer before it's known if he's staying or leaving.  Denver, CC, Minn and UND all have strong recruiting classes to replace the seniors and others who are gone after this season.

Arguably the WCHA is the top league in the country which made the bracketing very disappointing.  There are a lot of questions to be answered - the loss of Bill Wilkinsen (sp?) probably played more of a role in the bracketing than 9/11 concerns.  There may or may not have been an agenda when bracketing was drawn up - Tim and Swyg commented on this after George had hung up - Tim said "I'm not saying there was a conspiracy, but...."   ;)

The coach Ron Mason hired at MSU is an outstanding coach with an excellent track record.  It will be a huge benefit to college hockey for Ron Mason to be in his new position.  He's at a high profile school, he has excellent knowledge of the college hockey system and if Jeff Sauer is active in giving input to the NCAA college hockey could really reap some benefits.

Speaking of Wisc.  Mike Eaves is a smart guy with a lot of work ahead of him.  With Wisc. being a big 10 school it's important that Eaves has someone on his staff that is very familiar with the inner workings of the Wisc administration and the NCAA administration.

This led into the discussion of the importance of having strong programs at Wisconsin and Minnesota - because they are Big 10 schools the NCAA looks to them as the marquee teams from the league - of course on the ice the other members of the WCHA have other ideas as to who is/are the marquee teams - the same is true in the CCHA - they need  strong Michigan and MSU teams - when things need to get done - on the NCAA level - both leagues need the weight of the big 10 schools pushing.

REA:  "barn" is not the proper word to describe it - descriptions don't do it justice - the history and the words on the walls are important to both UND and the WCHA, shows the stength and continued success of both the school and the league.

The pressure nationally is to win a championship, gives a program more luster, but probably the most difficult thing to accomplish is to win the WCHA regular season, you have to be consistant all year, and the WCHA tourney  championship (this year alone 4 of the 5 teams were in the top 10 of the pairwise).

If you read all this you deserve a gold star!  

;)

I'd have to agree. Learned to hate the Gophs years ago and can't turn it around. They were always in the NCAA's when I was around GF and always lost (hence the "choker" collar); never could hold up the honor of the WCHA. Finally got used to it, and, in fact, kind of enjoyed it.

I have to be for the winner of the afternoon game, preferably Maine.

Sprig I see we are on the same wave length, Maine or UNH is going to be tough to beat. I would never rule out Michigan either. Red seems to be able to pull a rabbit out of a hat when ever its needed.

I FOUND THIS ON ESPN. Its the transcript of Leo's chat on espn earlier today. Interesting.

SCSU RULES!: Why did you guys have to beat us on senior night? Anyways, who has been the best player that you've played against in your college career.

Jordan Leopold: (2:20 PM ET ) Because you beat us all the time on Senior Night!! I think my college career, Jason Blake from North Dakota was the best. He is just like the energizer bunny .. never stops.

The latest Vegas book has the following for the first two games:

NCAA Mens Hockey

04/04/02  205 Maine +160   +1.5 (-180)  

14:30 ET   New Hampshire -200   -1.5 (+140)  

NCAA Mens Hockey

04/04/02  205 Michigan +200   +1.5 (-160)  

20:30 ET   Minnesota -260   -1.5 (+130)

The latest Vegas book has the following for the first two games:

NCAA Mens Hockey

04/04/02  205 Maine +160   +1.5 (-180)  

14:30 ET   New Hampshire -200   -1.5 (+140)  

NCAA Mens Hockey

04/04/02  205 Michigan +200   +1.5 (-160)  

20:30 ET   Minnesota -260   -1.5 (+130)

Hey Scott any line on Hauser imploding?  :)

It was a good game. Hauser was lucky to get out with the win the Ref spared him a possible goal with the quick wistle at the end of the game. Michigan put in a good effort but they got out classed for a good share of the game. Barry Melrose said you have to play 20 minutes you can't get away with playing 18 minutes in a period.

Saturdays game should be a dandy...