SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Athletics Complex

GeauxSioux

I would just think the IPF would be a waste if UND was forced to keep the nickname. You have the facilities but no home playoff game...it cancels both of them out.

Name gets dropped, sactions dropped, Big Sky doesn't kick us out, home football playoff games in effect, IPF gets built!! All these things can happen if everyone votes YES on June 12th!!

• Upvote 4

So if we're not eligible for a home playoff game then we shouldn't have a IPF??? As long as we have a viable conference to play in an IPF is a huge recruitment tool, I hope we get to retire the nickname but if we don't we shouldn't give up on improving our facilities.

There's your biggest problem!!!! If we keep the name what does the Big Sky do to us?

So if we're not eligible for a home playoff game then we shouldn't have a IPF??? As long as we have a viable conference to play in an IPF is a huge recruitment tool, I hope we get to retire the nickname but if we don't we shouldn't give up on improving our facilities.

No home playoff games ever = loss of recruits to NDSU, SDSU, USD and God only knows who else. Having a fancy IPF will help some, but if it's close between us and someone else, someone else will win if we are banned from home playoff games forever.

• Upvote 1

No date given, but it sounded like it could possibly be before the end of May. Whenever it happens will be good news.

Anything is possible this year the Alerus Center showed a profit so I would believe you if you told me that Phil Jackson was going to coach the mens bball team and that the Englestad family has donated 300 million to the football program

• Upvote 3

No home playoff games ever = loss of recruits to NDSU, SDSU, USD and God only knows who else. Having a fancy IPF will help some, but if it's close between us and someone else, someone else will win if we are banned from home playoff games forever.

recruiting is hard enough the way it is. and with NDSU's venue it will be hard. SDSU and USD....who knows. All I know is that the Sioux name will destroy you guys's ability to field a team that could compete at all. To the nickname supporters, i'm rootin' for you guys! If you want to keep a name and destroy any UND chance of competing go right ahead. At this point, I do not care.

• Upvote 1

recruiting is hard enough the way it is. and with NDSU's venue it will be hard. SDSU and USD....who knows. All I know is that the Sioux name will destroy you guys's ability to field a team that could compete at all. To the nickname supporters, i'm rootin' for you guys! If you want to keep a name and destroy any UND chance of competing go right ahead. At this point, I do not care.

Neither do Fetch, DaveK, yababy8 and a few other extremists on here. ???

You deserve to be punched.

• 1 month later...

Hey sorry, kinda random but I can't stop thinking about it.... With the growing population in GF and the ever increasing student population, plus the addition of Big Sky interest.. I must believe that one day mens basketball may outgrow the Betty. Assuming there is money for a renovation, would it be possible to renovate the hyslop to be suitable for division 1 basketball? Looking through all the pictures of old fieldhouses on the web like Kansas and Minnesota, I'd have to believe that the hyslop could become not only a great basketball facility, but a destination just as the Ralph is. The hyslop can hold more than a thousand more people than the Betty and the atmosphere would be ten times greater with the fans right on top of the action (love the second deck). I'm imagining somethiing like Montana's Dahlberg arena..

Gotta at least admit it would be kinda cool?!

Be nice :silly::crazy:

Hey sorry, kinda random but I can't stop thinking about it.... With the growing population in GF and the ever increasing student population, plus the addition of Big Sky interest.. I must believe that one day mens basketball may outgrow the Betty. Assuming there is money for a renovation, would it be possible to renovate the hyslop to be suitable for division 1 basketball? Looking through all the pictures of old fieldhouses on the web like Kansas and Minnesota, I'd have to believe that the hyslop could become not only a great basketball facility, but a destination just as the Ralph is. The hyslop can hold more than a thousand more people than the Betty and the atmosphere would be ten times greater with the fans right on top of the action (love the second deck). I'm imagining somethiing like Montana's Dahlberg arena..

I don't see the University spending money to renovate Hyslop. the Facilities at the Betty are so much better. Better wight rooms, offices, etc. I agree that the UND baskteball may outgrow the Betty in its current state. But I could see them spending money to renovate the Betty. Like adding more seating at the ends. Plenty of room at both ends to expand there. I really hope we are talking about expanding the Betty in the near future!! Want to get back to the days of the early to mid 90's when the basketball ticket was the hottest ticket in town!!

If I'm not mistaken, renovating Hyslop wouldn't be feasible due in large part to the cost of asbestos abatement. But you are correct in that a modernized Hyslop would have been very nice.

If I'm not mistaken, renovating Hyslop wouldn't be feasible due in large part to the cost of asbestos abatement. But you are correct in that a modernized Hyslop would have been very nice.

So it would be "feasible" to just tear it down? Don't be so sure. Demolishing buildings is not cheap, either (why do you think the old REA is still there). Either we tear it down and build something else there or we renovate it. As it stands right now, everything except the pool and the athletic department administrative offices are under-utilized and/or un-utilized spaces. We should push for maximum utilization of all of our assets, both old and new. That will help us be more successful in Division I across the board.

So it would be "feasible" to just tear it down? Don't be so sure. Demolishing buildings is not cheap, either (why do you think the old REA is still there). Either we tear it down and build something else there or we renovate it. As it stands right now, everything except the pool and the athletic department administrative offices are under-utilized and/or un-utilized spaces. We should push for maximum utilization of all of our assets, both old and new. That will help us be more successful in Division I across the board.

I don't know whether tearing it down would be the answer, and did not mean to give that impression. I do hope that there is a long-term plan to utilize the property in a different way from how it's currently being used. I had hoped many years ago that the arena portion could be renovated and remain as the home of UND basketball, but was told it wasn't likely to ever happen due to asbestos. I can't recall from whom I got that info, though.

Why redo Hyslop for BB?

Betty for 3000-ish.

REA lower bowl for under 6000-ish.

Aleris Center holds up to 9000 for BB.

REA holds up to 13000 for BB (love to have such a problem).

The reason for either expansion of the betty or renovation of the hyslop is scheduling purposes and recruiting. (Ralph would not be suitbable for basketball in the long run, in my opinion)

Advantage of hyslop is intimacy and TRADITION... wouldn't you want to play in the same arena Phil Jackson had?

Why redo Hyslop for BB?

Betty for 3000-ish.

REA lower bowl for under 6000-ish.

Aleris Center holds up to 9000 for BB.

REA holds up to 13000 for BB (love to have such a problem).

I think the argument would be that ideally you'd like to have one home court, and that Hyslop seemed like something close to the ideal size for this particular market--large enough to hold 5000 or so, but not so large as to seem cavernous when things aren't going well attendance-wise. But if it couldn't realistically be renovated in a cost-effective manner, i.e. significantly less than entirely new construction, then it's probably a moot point, anyway.

I don't know whether tearing it down would be the answer, and did not mean to give that impression. I do hope that there is a long-term plan to utilize the property in a different way from how it's currently being used. I had hoped many years ago that the arena portion could be renovated and remain as the home of UND basketball, but was told it wasn't likely to ever happen due to asbestos. I can't recall from whom I got that info, though.

I wasn't targeting you with my comment as much as I was targeting UND administration with their constant clinging to the tired old "penny wise and pound foolish" strategies when it comes to the management of our athletic department resources. Especially since our move up to Division I, I have always believed that it is very important to challenge boilerplate answers to questions like this. Just saying "it's not feasible" and then moving on to the next issue is simply kicking the can down the road. At some point, Hyslop will deteriorate to the point where it isn't safe to use it for anything and a decision will have to be made to either demolish it or renovate it. And it will cost a lot more money the longer we kick the can down the road.

Once we secure the funding for the IPF, we should turn our attention to developing a long-term plan for Hyslop Sports Center and an aggressive fund-raising campaign to fund it. If we decide to keep basketball and volleyball in The Betty, then I think it would make sense to bring the pool up to modern 21st century standards so we can have first-class Division I Swimming and Diving Programs. Then the rest of the complex could be updated to include first class office space for our administrators, recreational facilities for the student body and classroom space for Physical Education classes. These are the tools that successful Division I programs have and that backwater Division I In Name Only programs do not have. I know which category I want to be in.

• Upvote 2

I wasn't targeting you with my comment as much as I was targeting UND administration with their constant clinging to the tired old "penny wise and pound foolish" strategies when it comes to the management of our athletic department resources. Especially since our move up to Division I, I have always believed that it is very important to challenge boilerplate answers to questions like this. Just saying "it's not feasible" and then moving on to the next issue is simply kicking the can down the road. At some point, Hyslop will deteriorate to the point where it isn't safe to use it for anything and a decision will have to be made to either demolish it or renovate it. And it will cost a lot more money the longer we kick the can down the road.

Once we secure the funding for the IPF, we should turn our attention to developing a long-term plan for Hyslop Sports Center and an aggressive fund-raising campaign to fund it. If we decide to keep basketball and volleyball in The Betty, then I think it would make sense to bring the pool up to modern 21st century standards so we can have first-class Division I Swimming and Diving Programs. Then the rest of the complex could be updated to include first class office space for our administrators, recreational facilities for the student body and classroom space for Physical Education classes. These are the tools that successful Division I programs have and that backwater Division I In Name Only programs do not have. I know which category I want to be in.

We need the IPF stat. As of now the Hyslop is used by every team other than hockey in some form or another. Football uses it all the time for in season freshmen weights/conditioning and winter conditioning in the morning not to mention physical testing (you'd think 40 times would improve running on new turf instead of a dusty composite gym floor) The main arena gets used all the time as of now. Once we build the IPF that can be converted into something of use since the IPF will replace it. I honestly have no idea what it could be usefully transformed into other than a nice basketball arena since the entire athletic department will be housed in the IPF.

and the phy ed classes used to use the old upstairs gym. so they don't really need another one.

In all honesty Hyslop is the weirdest building ever. Not easy to get around in at all. Try to go from admin end to the pool. I don't know the history of it but it really is like 4 side by side buildings where a doorway or two was knocked into it. I mean how many people know their is an old upstairs gym? Or classrooms above admin where its 90 degrees all winter? Wasn't wrestling rooms on second floor above intramural courts? Is cheerleading still in there?

of all the teams that came through the transition ready to go its the women's volleyball team...i think coach hardee is ready to do some special things in the next few years...imagine what hardee could do if faison walked up to him and gave him the keys to the whole betty sioux center? what a huge recruiting tool that would be?

as for hyslop i've said for a couple of years now...."bring back hyslop hysteria"!! move the court west a little to center it and enclose the upper bowl to connect the north side with the south side(or do kind like at the ralph and create an upstairs bar area overlooking the court?). use the newly created area underneath the new east bleachers for a new weight room or locker room? hyslop was a little crowed back in the day but if the ipf takes t&f, betty takes volleyball, the mens and womens bball would have the hyslop to themselves? make it seat around 6k or 7k?

while i'm at it....new grandstand on the east side of memorial stadium connected underground tothe ipf? shift the field to the west a little to get it closer to the existing seats and build a new east side with state of the art press box and make it match the east side in terms of style and brick color? put some bleachers in the endzone areas and take down the ugly chain link fence on teh south side and make it look like the north side with brick and metal gate? make it sit around 20k?

of all the teams that came through the transition ready to go its the women's volleyball team...i think coach hardee is ready to do some special things in the next few years...imagine what hardee could do if faison walked up to him and gave him the keys to the whole betty sioux center? what a huge recruiting tool that would be?

as for hyslop i've said for a couple of years now...."bring back hyslop hysteria"!! move the court west a little to center it and enclose the upper bowl to connect the north side with the south side(or do kind like at the ralph and create an upstairs bar area overlooking the court?). use the newly created area underneath the new east bleachers for a new weight room or locker room? hyslop was a little crowed back in the day but if the ipf takes t&f, betty takes volleyball, the mens and womens bball would have the hyslop to themselves? make it seat around 6k or 7k?

while i'm at it....new grandstand on the east side of memorial stadium connected underground tothe ipf? shift the field to the west a little to get it closer to the existing seats and build a new east side with state of the art press box and make it match the east side in terms of style and brick color? put some bleachers in the endzone areas and take down the ugly chain link fence on teh south side and make it look like the north side with brick and metal gate? make it sit around 20k?

You forgot a retractable roof

i guess there are three options for football down the road....the first being staying at the alerus, the second returning to memorial, or the third the retractable roof fennell stadium?

i don't like the alerus and i'm not sure if the fennell rumor has any truth to it so i'm all for going back to memorial...

as for the abestos abatement at hyslop...is is true that if your gonna tear down something with a lot of abestos in it you have to take it out anyways or do you just have to keep it watered down with firetrucks during demo?

in the meanwhile i'm all for putting down the court right where it used to be at hyslop and calling it good....the betty has no atmosphere whatsoever (the great west didn't help any tho)