SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Athletics Complex

GeauxSioux

So which will open for business first? New Athletic Complex or new GF Scheels?

Good question! My money will be on Scheels as they don't have to knock down a building and put up a new one!!!

Regarding Scheels - does anyone know why it will be a couple of years before they open? It seems odd they would make that announcement so far in advance!

If only UND athletics couldn't tap into the Spirit money for a IPF:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/226465/

The UND North Dakota Spirit campaign has raised $245.5 million toward its $300 million goal, Tim O’Keefe, UND Foundation executive director and CEO, told a gathering of UND alumni, supporters, students, faculty and staff Thursday.

The campaign began in 2005 and continues through the end of 2013.

Funds generated by the UND North Dakota Spirit campaign will be used for faculty endowments, academic programs, scholarships and buildings and equipment.

I take it buildings isn't athletic buildings. :lol:

If only UND athletics couldn't tap into the Spirit money for a IPF:

http://www.grandfork...icle/id/226465/

I take it buildings isn't athletic buildings. :lol:

Depends. Donor can specify where there donations go for or they can give it to the general fund for the University to decide. I would guess that some of those dollars are set aside for Athletics/Athletic Facilities. I'm sure if someone did some digging, they could find a more specific breakdown of the donations.

Since the campaign runs through the end of 2013..could we see them breaking ground in 2014?

I don't believe there is a requirement to wait until the end of the campaign to start construction. Once that portion of the funding is complete, construction can begin, theoretically.

I don't believe there is a requirement to wait until the end of the campaign to start construction. Once that portion of the funding is complete, construction can begin, theoretically.

Get out the recking ball and tear down the old REA and lets get this sucker built!!!

That will be bittersweet for me. Bitter because of the loss of such an iconic building.....sweet because of what it means for all our programs.

I agree. I have a lot of memories as a kid going to that arena seeing a lot of great hockey players especially the 1986-87 hockey team. But now we have a better arena, and soon something to make our football team even better.

If they didn't use that location for the IPF, it would be handed (appropriately so) to EERC for their expansion. From what I understand, it would cost a ton to get the old REA back into shape for hockey/concessions, etc.

Well, they could have done somthing about it years ago and it would have cost a fraction of what it would cost now, but they didn't. I think they should have either torn it down or renovated it soon after left it for the new arena. I suppose they will start talking about demolishing Hyslop too.

Well, they could have done somthing about it years ago and it would have cost a fraction of what it would cost now, but they didn't. I think they should have either torn it down or renovated it soon after left it for the new arena. I suppose they will start talking about demolishing Hyslop too.

I'm pretty sure that they projected more than $2 million in repairs 10 years ago. That was one of the reasons the new building was such a great gift even before anyone knew what it would look like, the old building needed major repairs. The roof needs to be replaced, some of the seating needed to be replaced and the ice making equipment needed to be replaced soon. And that was just the beginning. It would have cost much more to bring it up to standards that the other schools now have. Tearing it down would have cost plenty of money also and the school decided that it wasn't a good use of that money until the space was actually needed.

There is a small UND department that uses the entry way for office space and storage right now. They are in the planning stages of moving out, possibly this spring. There has been some assorted stuff stored in the arena (I don't know if it was Athletic Department or Plant Services) and they were moving that out in December. It looks like they are planning to tear down the building soon, maybe later this year.

I'm pretty sure that they projected more than $2 million in repairs 10 years ago. That was one of the reasons the new building was such a great gift even before anyone knew what it would look like, the old building needed major repairs. The roof needs to be replaced, some of the seating needed to be replaced and the ice making equipment needed to be replaced soon. And that was just the beginning. It would have cost much more to bring it up to standards that the other schools now have. Tearing it down would have cost plenty of money also and the school decided that it wasn't a good use of that money until the space was actually needed.

There is a small UND department that uses the entry way for office space and storage right now. They are in the planning stages of moving out, possibly this spring. There has been some assorted stuff stored in the arena (I don't know if it was Athletic Department or Plant Services) and they were moving that out in December. It looks like they are planning to tear down the building soon, maybe later this year.

I seem to remember hearing that it costs nearly $1 million just to take the building the down. That's one of the reasons they haven't done it yet. They didn't have the money to throw around until they grouped it in with money raised for another project.