SiouxSports.com Forum

Where do you see UND going?

IrishSiouxFan

Fullerton has said on several occasions that the nick name is an issue. The nickname is far from resolved. UND administration is wisely trying to get it dumped, but if the people were to vote to keep it, everyones hands would be tied......and that would be very detrimental to UND.

The Nickname is gone. I predict that the University will go to court if the petition is sucessful. IIRC the A.G. has said he thinks this bill to make the name law wouldn't pass constitutional muster. Maybe one of the sites lawyers can correct me.

The athletic department will bleed red ink from the travel costs of being a Division I independent and the scheduling difficulties until it is determined that a move to NAIA will be required (both to escape the sanctions and to cut costs).

While I agree with most of what you said here, this isn't correct. Never going to happen, that's talking points from the ANTI-Logo team.

If this nickname circus drags on any longer, I hope the athletic department announces a move to DIII and that the hockey team will be joining the MCHA with Adrian and Lake Forest. Then we will see what the save-the-name-at-all-cost people say.

While I agree with most of what you said here, this isn't correct. Never going to happen, that's talking points from the ANTI-Logo team.

I am not sure if we would have a choice. Moving to D-II or D-III is still within the NCAA's dictatorial reach. We cannot maintain an athletic department as a Division I independent; the costs would be enormous. Other schools won't play us because of the name and logo. The anti-logo crowd doesn't care what home the athletic department has; they just hate the name and logo and want it gone. I don't want it gone, but if it means our athletic department is crippled forever, then it has to go.

• Upvote 1

The hockey-only people are so tone deaf it's unreal. Let me lay it out for you, like I have many, many, many times before:

-The Big Sky will revoke their offer of membership in their league (remember, our membership isn't official until July 1st, 2012).

-Minnesota and Wisconsin will announce they will no longer schedule us in any sport in which we don't share conference affiliation(including hockey). Other schools, pressured by the autocrats at the NCAA, will follow suit.

-Recruiting will become increasingly difficult for football and basketball because of the lack of conference affiliation. Coaches like Chris Mussman and Brian Jones will leave for better jobs elsewhere. Gene Roebuck will retire and get out while the getting is good.

-The athletic department will bleed red ink from the travel costs of being a Division I independent and the scheduling difficulties until it is determined that a move to NAIA will be required (both to escape the sanctions and to cut costs).

-The hockey teams will then be forced to leave the NCAA and petition the CCAA for membership. With our fan base, facilities, tradition and media exposure, they will welcome us with open arms. But it will represent a clear downgrade from what we enjoy today.

-While all this is happening, the Ag College will become a national power in FCS football, winning national title after national title and their basetball programs will become well-known in March in the NCAA tournament. They will gladly (and gleefully) fill the vaccum created by our implosion and destruction created by "Clueless Al" Carlson and the myopic viewpoint of the nickname-at-all-costs crowd.

Simply put, you must sponsor at least 7 sports for both men and women to be a part of the NCAA. Without a conference home, we will drown in a sea of red ink. And I don't care how much money REA generates, it won't be enough to cover all those unpaid bills.

Every school has one big revenue sport to help fund the other sports and hockey is ours. But do you REALLY want hockey to drive a bus without any passengers on it? Is the name and logo REALLY worth the total and complete destruction of UND athletics?

Bottom line, whether you and the rest of the nickname-only, hockey-only crowd like it or not, either all our sports rise up together or we all crash and burn. I know which path I am choosing.

100% RIGHT ON. I'm glad someone knows the entire story. I have talked to the AD in the past several weeks and they are concerned. No league and trying to operate as an independent will destroy the athletic program. BELIEVE IT.

• Upvote 4

The Nickname is gone. I predict that the University will go to court if the petition is sucessful. IIRC the A.G. has said he thinks this bill to make the name law wouldn't pass constitutional muster. Maybe one of the sites lawyers can correct me.

But, the second petition is for a constitutional amendment, which, if passed, can't be ruled unconstitutional by the ND Supreme Court. The only way it could be overturned would be in Federal District Court or US Supreme Court and I can't even remotely fathom how the Fed would have jurisdiction in the case to even get involved.

If these people get the 26,000+ signatures and it passes, then the troubles have only just begun.

But, the second petition is for a constitutional amendment, which, if passed, can't be ruled unconstitutional by the ND Supreme Court. The only way it could be overturned would be in Federal District Court or US Supreme Court and I can't even remotely fathom how the Fed would have jurisdiction in the case to even get involved.

If these people get the 26,000+ signatures and it passes, then the troubles have only just begun.

I find it very interesting that they are suing REA, Inc. for the right to collect signatures on arena grounds. That tells me they are having some trouble gathering signatures. Why go through all the expense of legal action if the signature collection campaign was going good? It is tough to gather signatures in a state as spread out and expansive as North Dakota is. I really hope that it never gets on the ballot.

It will not destroy UND athletics, c'mon you are reaching at best. I know you guys will jump all over me for this saying I am a hockey only person, but I am starting to think that the only people that want the name gone are football only people, and for what the Big Sky, Big Whoop. The hockey team has brought more national attention to UND then the football team ever thought about. I just do not get it, why so many are so willing to throw the name under the bus for a third rate conference. Just my opinion and I know you all think differently and no one is right or wrong, but it is the best nickname and logo and all of college sports, so lets get rid of it. That way the football team might gain attendance in 10 years when they will maybe beat someone.

If the MBB team ever makes it to march madness they would gain more national recognition than hockey ever has without even playing a game in the tourney. just my opinion.

What a lot of you are forgetting is this: A lot of folks want this issue done. Call it "moniker fatigue". They'll vote no to move on with life (in the Big Sky) ... if this ever gets to a ballot. I didn't see a lot of folks signing petitions outside REA (off REA property) over the weekend.

This thread shows something I've known for a while:

A lot of people that don't understand all of the factors regarding college athletics are making statements that just plain don't work.

Going to just two sports. Nope, doesn't work at any NCAA level because all levels have minimum sport sponsorship requirements. Dropping to DII or DIII. Nope, those are NCAA divisions and under their same control, and moniker sanctions. Join the NAIA? Join an organization that doesn't sponsor hockey?

Another state law? The NCAA has already shown they don't care about ND state law.

The only option here is SL winning a suit against the NCAA. That's it. And don't hold your breath.