SiouxSports.com Forum

Go Sam Houston State

YAWNSON

Simply changing the name from IAA to FCS hasn't changed the product one iota. There are currently many respected commentators that refer to FCS as IAA. Big deal. Referring to it as such for them is a creature of habit. Doesn't prove a level of intelligence or education whatsoever.

And as for Jack Michaels, no one has ever disputed the quality of the product that he delivers. Its the pandering he has to do in his full-time gig that is at issue.

Now to get back on topic of the thread title, NDSU will face more competition this week and next in PRACTICE than they will in the game. Practice. Not the game. Practice.

• Upvote 2

Simply changing the name from IAA to FCS hasn't changed the product one iota. There are currently many respected commentators that refer to FCS as IAA. Big deal. Referring to it as such for them is a creature of habit. Doesn't prove a level of intelligence or education whatsoever.

And as for Jack Michaels, no one has ever disputed the quality of the product that he delivers. Its the pandering he has to do in his full-time gig that is at issue.

Now to get back on topic of the thread title, NDSU will face more competition this week and next in PRACTICE than they will in the game. Practice. Not the game. Practice.

Couldn't resist. :)

How about this...winning the NCAA FCS Football Championship IS winning a D1 Title among schools with like attendance and scholarships, using the NCAA's own criteria.

Winning the NCAA FBS Football Championship (if winning by a vote is really considered winning, I'll spare you ranting about that in this post) IS also winning a D1 Title among schools with like attendance and scholarships, using the NCAA's own criteria.

They are both considered D1 Titles, divided by mainly attendance and scholarships as far as the NCAA is concerned.

Even though they are both considered D1 Football Titles, the FBS winner is considered the true national champion because of their larger attendance and more scholarships available which translate into more money and better players.

You say catsup, I say ketchup. What you call FBS and FCS I call Division I and Division I-AA. As an old-school kind of fan I like to use the terminology that I grew up up, not this new contrived label that is being forced upon us. I HATE HATE HATE the new terminology. It's merely my personal preference, not a big deal.

Hmmm, I agree it's not a big deal. But how is FCS more contrived than I-AA? Seems to me to be more descriptive. It is a football only designation. Many people misinderstood that.

The reason the name was changed was because people started referring to schools as being IAA in athletics and not just football. Coaches that had to recruit for basketball and other sports didn't like that label so they changed the names to something more football related.

I do think that's an important distinction. If NDSU or UND won a D-I basketball championship, that would be a nationally recognized highest-level-of-competition college championship, a huge deal that much of the country would hear about -- in contrast to an FCS championship. In that way the renaming is a good move for all those non-football sports so people don't refer to UND/NDSU basketball as I-AA, but I think it also goes a little too far in disguising that D-I FCS football is actually D-I tier #2.

What the detractors here are trying to say (I think) is that FCS/I-AA isn't a real top-level championship, but just another lower division ala DII, because we're still in a (sub)division lower than SEC, Big Ten, ACC, etc... They're right, but they're also being somewhat petty, because most UND fans (including myself!) would be thrilled to be in an FCS (or D-II) title game (even though we'd know it didn't mean we were THE D-I champion -- i.e. better than Alabama -- but instead a legitimate national championship of a lower division of smaller schools).

• Upvote 3

Star did you sell your tickets yet? You are going to get a good return on your investment. With the game sold out the minimum on Stub Hub is $350 with the max ticket at $1300.

They are committed to Stub Hub, but haven't actually received them yet myself. There are likely more tickets like mine that Stub Hub can't distribute yet.

The seats aren't that great, if $350 is the lowest price, looks like my favorite charity may be funded by Bisonville. :xmas:

Fair question, which I feel is worthy of an honest answer. In my opinion it seems contrived because there was no real need to change the terminology. My perception is that it appears some of the I-AA schools were most likely suffering from Jan Brady sundrome and pushed for this change to create the illusion that they're in the same tier as the likes of Notre Dame and USC. Personally, I am secure with the fact that my favorite team is in a lower tier division. It's a good division, but I'm not going to try to pretend we're as big as the Michigans and Oklahomas of the football world when we obviously are not. Just because it isn't the top tier of NCAA football doesn't mean it isn't good, but let's not try to hide from the fact that there is a higher tier that is much better. I-AA worked fine for many years, and from my point of view don't go trying to fix what isn't broken. So that is why I hate the new terminology. Agree with me or disagree, either way is fine as long as you don't badger me to use the new terminology.

I do think that's an important distinction. If NDSU or UND won a D-I basketball championship, that would be a nationally recognized highest-level-of-competition college championship, a huge deal that much of the country would hear about -- in contrast to an FCS championship. In that way the renaming is a good move for all those non-football sports so people don't refer to UND/NDSU basketball as I-AA, but I think it also goes a little too far in disguising that D-I FCS football is actually D-I tier #2.

What the detractors here are trying to say (I think) is that FCS/I-AA isn't a real top-level championship, but just another lower division ala DII, because we're still in a (sub)division lower than SEC, Big Ten, ACC, etc... They're right, but they're also being somewhat petty, because most UND fans (including myself!) would be thrilled to be in an FCS (or D-II) title game (even though we'd know it didn't mean we were THE D-I champion -- i.e. better than Alabama -- but instead a legitimate national championship of a lower division of smaller schools).

Yeah, what Jim said! (Okay, I am being a bit petty. But it was fun to watch the old trolls emerge from their new monikers!)

NDSU football is DI, the entire school is DI. Nobody is being mislead...they are different subdivisions not entire divisions.

These kids aren't fools they know what the FCS and FBS are...they know who plays for bowls and who plays for the playoffs. You can't weasel out of the shadow unless you are in a BCS power conference...which is why Boise went to the Big East.

So Georgetown University as a whole should be labeled DI-AA, including there BB program because they play DI FCS football? Western Michigan University as a whole should be labeled as DI-A because they play DI FBS football? What should Witchita State (withou football) be labeled?

You are clearly so jaded with your head up you butt that it defies any human logic. How can one possibly stand behind such illogical arguements with a straight face. You are simply jaded beyond belief.

Exactly! So where in the past the smaller schools accused the big-time schools of trying to create the illusion that they were at a higher level in sports other than football they are now guilty of trying to create the illusion that they are at the same level in all sports including football. Like in a hypothetical scenario a coach at NDSU could tell a football recruit "oh yeah, we're Division I... JUST LIKE OHIO STATE AND LSU". He technically doesn't have to add anything more than that, and it can be misleading to a kid who doesn't know any better. Or at least that's the way I interpreted it. Right or wrong, the name change rubbed me the wrong way. I saw it as the I-AA schools trying to weasel their way out from under the shadow of the bigger schools.

The difference is that anybody that would sign with NDSU would be dumb enough to believe it! :whistling:

• Upvote 2

So Georgetown University as a whole should be labeled DI-AA, including there BB program because they play DI FCS football? Western Michigan University as a whole should be labeled as DI-A because they play DI FBS football? What should Witchita State (withou football) be labeled?

You are clearly so jaded with your head up you butt that it defies any human logic. How can one possibly stand behind such illogical arguements with a straight face. You are simply jaded beyond belief.

Who the hell are you talking to? Your post followed a fellow Bison troller's. Were you replying to him/her?

I don't think that the intent was to disguise the FCS as something it's not. In any case, I doubt very many people are being fooled by it.

Dave - we get it already.

In your world it's I-AA not FCS, anyone that wants the nickname gone is a horrible person, once the nickname is dropped we have to start over counting championships, fighting in hockey is reserved for punks, Cooke is not a dirty player, NDSU=Bad but Gophers=OK...and that's fine as you've made it so adamantly clear that no one will be able to change your mind on anything but do you have to get into a message board argument over everything. (I know this thread wasn't derailed by you but there's no doubt in my mind that you've PURPOSELY added to it by throwing out the I-AA line a couple of pages back knowing it would get a rise out of people)

But who knows, maybe you do this on purpose to get a rise out of people because it seems that every thread you're invovled in turns into the same thing.

• Upvote 3

Dave - we get it already.

In your world it's I-AA not FCS, anyone that wants the nickname gone is a horrible person, once the nickname is dropped we have to start over counting championships, fighting in hockey is reserved for punks, Cooke is not a dirty player, NDSU=Bad but Gophers=OK...and that's fine as you've made it so adamantly clear that no one will be able to change your mind on anything but do you have to get into a message board argument over everything. (I know this thread wasn't derailed by you but there's no doubt in my mind that you've PURPOSELY added to it by throwing out the I-AA line a couple of pages back knowing it would get a rise out of people)

But who knows, maybe you do this on purpose to get a rise out of people because it seems that every thread you're invovled in turns into the same thing.

+1

It sure seems to me that SHSU is the most overlooked team in the playoffs. Most of us scoffed when they made the number one see and thought that they would be quickly dispatched in either their first or second game in the playoffs. Then they won both. and Montana was up next. Most of us thought that SHSU was was a decent team but surely the Griz and their cocky fans (probably more cocky that even us Bison fans) would dump Sam. Well, that did not happen either and now SHSU is meeting the Bison in Frisco. After the run SHSU has made I doubt that anyone is overlooking them. Hell, they have a running back that is as solid as a fire hydrant with legs and won't tip over. I think the Bison can take them down, but it will be a tight game and a dog fight. I am glad that the Bison got experience against a running team with the pounding of GSU (and that was not all due to crowd noise).

As for Sioux fans that don't want to cheer for the Bison......what is wrong with that? Although it is kind of stupid to try and claim that the folks that want to cheer for the Bison in the title game are somewhat of a lesser level Sioux fan than those who don't. As for this Bison fan.....I must admit, if UND was playing Farley and those idiots from UNI, I would probably take a deep breath, and hope UND whacked them. For this Bison fan there is not much of a rivalry left between NDSU and UND in sports.........but UNI........I can't stand them. And if any other Bison fan wants to to say I am less of a Bison fan because of that......might just need his ass kicked.

• Upvote 1

And.......as much as it pains me to lend any credibility to DaveK.....I do find that when talking FCS Football here in Wyoming I usually have to refer to it as I-AA so that people understand what I am talking about. Most here know that NDSU is playing for the National Championship and surprisingly they think it is a Bowl game. When I explain that it used to be called DI-AA they understand.

They are committed to Stub Hub, but haven't actually received them yet myself. There are likely more tickets like mine that Stub Hub can't distribute yet.

The seats aren't that great, if $350 is the lowest price, looks like my favorite charity may be funded by Bisonville. :xmas:

Well played! I, myself, lucked out on tickets. I'm one of those who waited till the game was over, figured if I had purchased game tickets in advance I'd jinx the whole thing. Otherwise I'd be sending you a blank check right now.

Dom Izzo tweeted that they may be opening up some standing room tickets, which figure to be gone in a hurry.

Well played! I, myself, lucked out on tickets. I'm one of those who waited till the game was over, figured if I had purchased game tickets in advance I'd jinx the whole thing. Otherwise I'd be sending you a blank check right now.

Dom Izzo tweeted that they may be opening up some standing room tickets, which figure to be gone in a hurry.

I know nothing about Frisco...big city? major airport near by? How big is PHP?