SiouxSports.com Forum

Roebuck retiring after this year?

star2city

Come on dags, don't spoil the pee-on-Kelley-and-Faison party!

I heard that Whiskey Joe was behind the hiring of Kelley & Faison and they are all in conspiracy to get rid of everything UND. Soon Kelley will announce that UND is closing and that all programs will move to NDSUA&AS! Chapman still controls everything!

Or maybe coach just felt this is the right time to step aside and we should take every opportunity to thank him for all the amazing accomplishments he brought to North Dakota.

I will keep my views on the AD and President to myself....

Your right, however this is a time to Celebrate the accomplishments of a Great Coach and Leader of UND Athletics (Womens Basketball and Mens Baseball)....

You only have to look at the Newspaper articles and Facebook pages of former players and friends to see the unbelievable impact Coach Buck had upon their lives. They write from the heart on what this man has taught them and to what they have become in life....

Again, I hate to see him go, he will be missed...

Just to set the record straight....

After a adult beverage with Coach Buck, This has been in place for well over a year, he told Faison last May of his plans to step down. This has also been confirmed by some of his closer friends then me.

It had nothing to do with any comments this past week from the Fans down South or any current situations.

I have the a lot of respect for Coach and his committment to Womens Basketball and the University of North Dakota, what he has accomplished will leave a Legacy forever.

I will miss him, except for the occasional round of golf, he was a Good Friend, Great in the Community and made a impact on many players, coaches and fans....

Thanks for everything Coach!

I am exceedingly happy to read this. It would have been a travesty if Gene had been forced out! Any reasoning for the odd timing of the announcement?

Hak is next. It's apparent that anyone who isn't on board with retiring the nickname is going to be out. It's really a sad thing what's going on on campus.

Hak is next. It's apparent that anyone that isn't on board with retiring the nickname is going to be out. It's really sad.

No it is apparent that is a load of crap. Roebuck deserves better than an ignorant comment like that.

Roebuck decided it was time to retire and those in the know posted that some time ago. He accomplished a lot as WBB coach but also Baseball coach getting a baseball team from NDak. to the NCAA playoffs. He was arguably the most successful coach in UND athletic history. 3 National titles, and 20 appearances in post season NCAA playoffs is outstanding. He also had numerous conference titles and this was accomplished at a time when the NCC was the best womens BB D2 conference in the country. A number of those teams would likely have been top 25 teams in D1 and so would some of the teams from the AC, augie, SDSU or even USD. I don't like the timing of the

announcement because other rubes may think it was not his choice due to his comments about the AC.

They should have waited a couple of weeks to announce it in order to distance this from the comments. The focus should be on his accomplishments, not his comment.

Coach Buck is a fairly private person, and my guess was he did not want a lot fanfare when he was ready to leave. That why he planned on a announcement at the end of this season when he did....

There has been a email circulating for a Month now, as to getting former players back on the Febraury 11th game, I was hoping we could also be Celebrating his plus 700 career Wins as a Head Coach.....(Think he is at 704 all time now)

Be nice to have a Big Crowd on that Saturday Night....Go Sioux!

Why is anyone surprised that a 65 year old guy, who's been doing the same job for 25 years, who's has a wife that's already retired and lives 120 miles away, who is facing a major upshift in workload if he stays, is retiring?

Because Gene is a superhero and legend at UND. Your comments remind us of the true situation though.

THANKS GENE!

No it is apparent that is a load of crap. Roebuck deserves better than an ignorant comment like that.

Roebuck decided it was time to retire and those in the know posted that some time ago. He accomplished a lot as WBB coach but also Baseball coach getting a baseball team from NDak. to the NCAA playoffs. He was arguably the most successful coach in UND athletic history. 3 National titles, and 20 appearances in post season NCAA playoffs is outstanding. He also had numerous conference titles and this was accomplished at a time when the NCC was the best womens BB D2 conference in the country. A number of those teams would likely have been top 25 teams in D1 and so would some of the teams from the AC, augie, SDSU or even USD. I don't like the timing of the

announcement because other rubes may think it was not his choice due to his comments about the AC.

They should have waited a couple of weeks to announce it in order to distance this from the comments. The focus should be on his accomplishments, not his comment.

Now only if Brian Jones can match that...well actually he won't in the National title category unless UND becomes the next Kansas (which won't happen).

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the game last night and there was a decent crowd - 1800+. The women have looked pretty good during the last homestand.

I was disappointed that there wasn't more promotion for Roebuck at the game last night. I didn't see any ads in the paper or on TV or hear anything on the radio. Many of his old players were there, but no introductions or at a minimum having the group go out on the floor at halftime to recognize the national championships, the regional and conference championships and the many all conference and All Americans that have been a part of Roebuck's career here. They did ask the players to stand during a time out, but it was hard to see anybody.

Maybe he or they didn't want anything more.

Congratulations Coach Roebuck on a great career here at UND. Good luck the rest of the season. I will miss seeing you on the bench.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...