SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Fan

Sioux lose 74-60 after shooting only 17% in the first half.

According to Roebuck, freshman Burck and Mills played a strong second half in which the Sioux scored 44 points.

Is there something in the water in GF that makes many of the UND teams go on the road and play so poorly in the early stages of games? Is it maturity, is it preparation/scouting, is it "small school" syndrom? This is a recurring theme, not just for the WBB and not all the time, but it is frequent enough to question some of the coaching staff about being ready to play. It happens in FB, MBB, even hockey too. Just wondering since I have not lived in GF in many years. Drake is a smaller school in a rather mundane community in a mundane state. UND should not be "unprepared" to play in these places.

Is there something in the water in GF that makes many of the UND teams go on the road and play so poorly in the early stages of games? Is it maturity, is it preparation/scouting, is it "small school" syndrom? This is a recurring theme, not just for the WBB and not all the time, but it is frequent enough to question some of the coaching staff about being ready to play. It happens in FB, MBB, even hockey too. Just wondering since I have not lived in GF in many years. Drake is a smaller school in a rather mundane community in a mundane state. UND should not be "unprepared" to play in these places.

Your point on preparedness is duly noted. But as far as your description of Des Moines as "mundane," I would have to say that "mundane" is a subjective and relative term. Maybe Des Moines and Iowa are mundane as compared to Minneapolis, Madison or Chicago and their respective states.... but it is twice the size of Fargo and the state of Iowa does have a slew of Division I institutions, including 2 that compete at the FBS level. So compared to Grand Forks (and I love Grand Forks), I think its hard to argue that it's a hole-in-the-wall town.

Your point on preparedness is duly noted. But as far as your description of Des Moines as "mundane," I would have to say that "mundane" is a subjective and relative term. Maybe Des Moines and Iowa are mundane as compared to Minneapolis, Madison or Chicago and their respective states.... but it is twice the size of Fargo and the state of Iowa does have a slew of Division I institutions, including 2 that compete at the FBS level. So compared to Grand Forks (and I love Grand Forks), I think its hard to argue that it's a hole-in-the-wall town.

Sorry if I offended. I am a GF native BTW, but rarely get there. When my younger daughter (a national merit scholar) was looking at colleges about 10 years ago now, we visited Drake and stayed in Des Moines. I think everything in town was closed downtown except one Italian restaurant. There was only one hotel near downtown that was acceptable and the department chair in the school of journalism offered nothing except bad mouthing other J schools. To put it bluntly, DM was a cowtown in those days and in recent years driving around it I still find no reason to get off the Interstate. Ironically, same daughter married a Drake grad while she was at UW Madison and he was in law school there and my neighbor's daughter is a Pharm D grad from Drake. Go figure!

Sorry if I offended. I am a GF native BTW, but rarely get there. When my younger daughter (a national merit scholar) was looking at colleges about 10 years ago now, we visited Drake and stayed in Des Moines. I think everything in town was closed downtown except one Italian restaurant. There was only one hotel near downtown that was acceptable and the department chair in the school of journalism offered nothing except bad mouthing other J schools. To put it bluntly, DM was a cowtown in those days and in recent years driving around it I still find no reason to get off the Interstate. Ironically, same daughter married a Drake grad while she was at UW Madison and he was in law school there and my neighbor's daughter is a Pharm D grad from Drake. Go figure!

No offense taken. In fact, I appreciate the insight on a place I have never been to. Sounds like DM is it all that locals say it's cracked up to be. LOL!