SiouxSports.com Forum

DII TV

Smoggy

I just looked at CSTV's website. Yet again they are airing DIII games on Saturday. Why can't they pick up a DII game? You would think they could at least pick up UNDs feed and air it nationally. It seems to me that more fans would watch DII than DIII just because DII has bigger schools with more alumni. I realize CSTV is young, but if they want to be known as college sports station they need to put more than one DIII fb game on in a week.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were many people that didn't want the game televised in order to boost the attendance. I'm sure this game will be on tv, but we still need people to show up. This team has given no reasons for people not to attend the home games. They have not lost at home and have provided many exciting games.

So despite the fact that the game will probably be televised, we need to have a sold-out game to show the team our support.

There were many people that didn't want the game televised in order to boost the attendance. I'm sure this game will be on tv, but we still need people to show up. This team has given no reasons for people not to attend the home games. They have not lost at home and have provided many exciting games.

So despite the fact that the game will probably be televised, we need to have a sold-out game to show the team our support.

I was at the game, but there were a lot of people who I know who couldn't be there and wanted the game televised. They should have blacked the game out in the valley and shown it across the state. Showing the game on television didn't seem to hurt the attendance during the 2001 semifinal game.

I agree that the game should have been televised throughout the state. And no, it didn't hurt the attendance in 2001. But our attendance numbers have been down all year. Even the bigger games like SCSU and UNO had poor crowds. The NDSU game is the only game that has been full. There is no reason that we shouldn't have a sellout crowd for every game. In 2001 we averaged about 10,000 people per game. This year I think we were only over 10,000 once, maybe twice.

Not showing the game outside of the local area, say 100 miles from Grand Forks, really shoots yourself in the foot. Most people from Minot, Bismarck, Williston, or Dickinson are not going to drive over to the game. However, if you televise it to the west the school will get more exposure....and that is a positive thing despite the attendance issue. It seems strange logic that Thomas used on this, but then that seems to be his pattern.

Not showing the game outside of the local area, say 100 miles from Grand Forks, really shoots yourself in the foot. Most people from Minot, Bismarck, Williston, or Dickinson are not going to drive over to the game. However, if you televise it to the west the school will get more exposure....and that is a positive thing despite the attendance issue. It seems strange logic that Thomas used on this, but then that seems to be his pattern.

WYOBISONMAN

I totally agree with you. The more exposure your team/school gets across the state, the better. Televising the broadcast in western nodak is not going to hurt the attendance one bit.

We have a little thing called the Fighting Sioux Sports Network.

Our arenas have broadcast facilities built in. A couple of local cable systems take the feed directly off the satellite and put it out there. Plus, they've started (pay per view) webcasting of games also. It's select home football and basketball games and all home hockey games. Road games are hit-and-miss based on whether or not that team has broadcasts.

PS - I'm pretty sure the Sioux weren't on broadcast TV in the western part of the state recently because of teams in the NAIA playoffs they were covering. This weekend? Don't believe any television schedule until game time. Things like this come through later in the week.

The Al: Home to Fighting Sioux Football

The Ralph: Home to Fighting Sioux Hockey (and soon basketball)

I have been following Montana and Montana State somewhat closely this year and they have almost all of thier games on TV and on Satelite so the alum from around the country can see them. I wonder why that has never been done for NDSU or UND football. Usually for NDSU the only game you see is the UND game and then you can catch most away playoff games and sometimes a home playoff game on the satelite. Both schools could stand to look at Montana as an example of how to increase the visibility of your institution. I think a satelite feed of your games, while maybe costing some money up front, helps keeping the loyalty of your alumni and help, in the end, with overall fundraising for your respective university. To me it seems like a no brainer in getting every game up on a satelite.

PS - I'm pretty sure the Sioux weren't on broadcast TV in the western part of the state recently because of teams in the NAIA playoffs they were covering. This weekend? Don't believe any television schedule until game time. Things like this come through later in the week.

Actually the Mary game was only covered in Bismarck and not sure of the Dickinson game. Mary was on the CBS affiliate. Minot did not carry anything.

I don't understand why some of the lesser-known sports networks out there would try to pick up more DII games. Yeah, a lot of the schools are small, but they still have thousands of alumni spread throughout the United States. I'm sure many of those alums would love to tune in and watch their old school every now and then, especially if it's only one or two games a season.

I don't know about other parts of the country, but my regional sports networks barely know D1-AA exists, nevermind DII. Fox Sports South occasionally shows a 1-AA game, but never DII. There is another channel ran by Comcast called CSS that calls themselves "Your source for sports in the southeast". Not the source for DII football, though.

At the least, I wish ESPN or ESPN2 would simply take time out of their Saturdays to show a DII "Game of the week". And at least carry some playoff games, geez. You can't tell me that one of the DII semifinal games this weekend wouldn't draw a comparable rating to the Boise State/Hawaii game that will be shown on ESPN2. I don't even think ESPN has a game scheduled for Saturday. Ridiculous that these games can't be shown.

The NCAA and DII need to get proactive about promoting their product. With so many teams wanting to make the jump to D1, I think it's the only way to insure long-term continued success of the division. If UND could get decent national TV exposure, and maybe a tweaking of the SOS rules to allow 1-AA games to count as "tough" games in the computers so you could continue your rivalry with NDSU... would you really feel as much of a need to move up?

There's a market out there for televised DII football games. Some ambitious network just needs to step up and make it happen.

That's my thoughts on it, anyway.

Go Lions!

Chris H. in Florence, AL

I do not feel so bad about not being able to make it to the great state of North Dakota because the game is going ot be televised in Florence. A local channel just announced that they are going to but the feed and televise it live. GO LIONS!!!

I do not feel so bad about not being able to make it to the great state of North Dakota because the game is going ot be televised in Florence. A local channel just announced that they are going to but the feed and televise it live. GO LIONS!!!

Will you have your own cameras and announcers or is it just picking up the UND feed?

I remember some UND hockey broadcasts when we were at Colorado College or Denver and we had our announcers, but they were just commenting on the feed from the other team. Though they were actually at the game.

It should be noted that we can catch the televised Sioux games by satellite, but it is now a digital signal which bars/people don't have receivers for.

Will you have your own cameras and announcers or is it just picking up the UND feed?

I remember some UND hockey broadcasts when we were at Colorado College or Denver and we had our announcers, but they were just commenting on the feed from the other team. Though they were actually at the game.

It should be noted that we can catch the televised Sioux games by satellite, but it is now a digital signal which bars/people don't have receivers for.

I remember that series. You really could call the UND commentators "Commentators" for that series because they were too busy stating that the cameramen were having technical difficulties and that the Sioux were playing on Olympic sized ice. I'm surprised we ever got the score :)

Read in the Florence newspaper today that the feed from the North Dakota station will air on a local station. They have invited a local broadcaster (J.D. Byers - a former UNA placekicker) to join the broadcast team to provide a neutral broadcast. First UNA football game to be on TV since 2000 season. Great for us UNA fans who don't want to shell out over $1000 airfare to fly to Grand Forks. Thanks to the North Dakota broadcasts for making this happen. No matter who wins the game, it's great to have it on TV! Go Lions - Good Luck UND!

Sandram