SiouxSports.com Forum

Issue on site

choyt3

I keep getting an annoying popup that wants me to install java EVERY time I visit the forum, and each time I switch between topics. I've done that and am sure that it is not necessary to do so from now until eternity when I visit the site.

I'm using Google Chrome.

It's more annoying than anything.

ideas??

If I could add another question (unrelated) to this. Before, when I'd add a link to a reply I could paste the link but give it a different name, so it would show up in my reply with the name I gave it instead of the long link. Is that gone? All I can seem to do now is paste the link.

Thanks.

If I could add another question (unrelated) to this. Before, when I'd add a link to a reply I could paste the link but give it a different name, so it would show up in my reply with the name I gave it instead of the long link. Is that gone? All I can seem to do now is paste the link.

Thanks.

This one I can answer :) Type the text into the document first, highlight it, then click the link button. CNN That will then turn the highlighted text into a link.

I keep getting an annoying popup that wants me to install java EVERY time I visit the forum, and each time I switch between topics. I've done that and am sure that it is not necessary to do so from now until eternity when I visit the site.

I'm using Google Chrome.

It's more annoying than anything.

ideas??

I get the same thing on the site front page only. Thought it was one of the adds but not sure why that keeps popping up.. I've tried installing whatever plug-in it's asking for, but nothing installs (I think it's a firefox plugin but I'm using chrome also). Clicking the "problems installing link" takes you do a windows medial player download, but that doesn't solve the problem either.

I get the same thing on the site front page only. Thought it was one of the adds but not sure why that keeps popping up.. I've tried installing whatever plug-in it's asking for, but nothing installs (I think it's a firefox plugin but I'm using chrome also). Clicking the "problems installing link" takes you do a windows medial player download, but that doesn't solve the problem either.

Fascinating... that eliminates anything in the forum software. Thinking about what's common between the forum and the front page really leaves two obvious candidates -- a Google ad (though why wouldn't you guys be having that problem on half the Internet, then) or the Facebook integration plugins (again, nearly ubiquitous across news sites these days).

If you could get me a screenshot of it asking for the plugin, that would be awesome. Also, does it happen every single time you load the page? If so, I could create test versions of the page with particular pieces removed and we could see which cause the issue.

I still can't duplicate it. Just tried a fresh install of Chrome on a Mac OS machine (so no Java), nada. This has me focusing in more on the ads, in that they're the one thing that could be different for each of us, because they do target you based on your geography and other sites you've been to.

As mentioned above, if you get the popups every time, I can create a version of the page without those ads and see if it has the same behavior for you.

If not, try to notice if its associated with particular ads.

With me it is every time, on every page, on every topic.

No problem, that alone is somewhat useful. The key is to look for what isn't rendering correctly (due to stated lack of plugin). The ad block in the upper right is empty -- that reinforces our guess that it's a google ad. Though they are personally and geographically targeted, which is why you guys could be getting different ones than I am, what's baffling is that they're so ubiquitous throughout the web that if it is the google ad, I'm not sure why you wouldn't be having this problem across the web (e.g. USCHO or GF Herald, etc...).

However, this is an easy theory to test. I'll do some work on it and get back to you.

The screenshot is from my desktop, using chrome on my notebook, I get the top right corner ads and no drop down plugin install warning. Must be a setting in chrome, although I can't find it.

Possible. My leading theory is still that it's a difference in which ad is served, but it could instead (or also) be something different between the machines like a plugin or a settings.

Three quick tests, let me know which of the following three pages exhibit the problem and which don't:

Test 1

Test 2

Test 3

Possible. My leading theory is still that it's a difference in which ad is served, but it could instead (or also) be something different between the machines like a plugin or a settings.

Three quick tests, let me know which of the following three pages exhibit the problem and which don't:

Test 1

Test 2

Test 3

Tests 1 and 3, same problem. Test 2 loads a blank empty page (with no plugin dropdown).

Tests 1 and 3, same problem. Test 2 loads a blank empty page (with no plugin dropdown).

Well, that kills my theory (test 2 is supposed to be a page with just the ad, test 3 is a copy of the front page without the ad code).

I have a new theory, but I'll move this to PM so the rest of the world doesn't have to follow along... I'll post any progress here.

• 3 weeks later...

Ending the "skype; click to call" process eliminated the popup, until chrome was restarted. Removing the skype extension eliminated the problem entirely.

Got a new Dell laptop, without Skype (yet) and haven't had the issue so forgot about it. Thanks.