SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Hockey Scores and Updates (Non-Sioux)

brianvf

So who has a photo of the gopher fan flipping off the scsu players? I missed it as I was flipping back and forth with the DU-UNO game. Apparently it was on camera (FSN).

If I remember right, I thought he was holding up his index finger and could see him saying "Number one!!" Could have been mistaken, but that's what I remember thinking at the time.

I caught a bit of the Gophers' pre-game show on the radio last night while in the car. They had a great about five-minute production called This Week in the WCHA. Great recaps of teams, upcoming games, and other news. Sound clips. Very good. It reminded me, again, of how solid this league is, top-to-bottom, how there are many rivalries across the board, and how sad it is that the league is getting reformed because of the Pig Ten and the NCHC. This Week in the NCHC just isn't going to seem the same, at least not for a long time.

SCSU (or Jan Brady) deserved the win last night. Our defense was very bad and they capitalized on their chances. Patterson was hung out to dry on every goal. and going 0 for on 8 odd man rushes won't get you many wins lol. Never really noticed how loud that arena was until last nights game

After watching the DU/UNO game last night...Archibald looks like quite a good player.

Too bad the coaches couldn't have known about the issues with St. Clair and Miller de-committing, as Archibald would have looked great in a Sioux uni...especially with how depleted our forward corps is right now.

Miami beats Denver in the DU Cup final.

MSUM outshoots UAA by a ton, 46-13, but still tie 5-5. Horrid goaltending for MSUM, as they battled back from a 5-1 deficit. Hopefully the Sioux can keep their momentum going against UAA next weekend. Always a tough roadtrip, especially if UAA plays their trap style. Great opportunity for the Sioux to make up some ground in the WCHA.

Gophers hit a bit of a snag with a tie and loss against MSU.

Man, how good are those Schwartz brothers from CC?? :ohmy:

Miami beats Denver in the DU Cup final.

MSUM outshoots UAA by a ton, 46-13, but still tie 5-5. Horrid goaltending for MSUM, as they battled back from a 5-1 deficit. Hopefully the Sioux can keep their momentum going against UAA next weekend. Always a tough roadtrip, especially if UAA plays their trap style. Great opportunity for the Sioux to make up some ground in the WCHA.

Gophers hit a bit of a snag with a tie and loss against MSU.

Man, how good are those Schwartz brothers from CC?? :ohmy:

Ahhh.....yeah. Both with 17 points in 11 games....wow. I'm thinking the Tigers should enjoy having them around for this season before parting ways with them.

They're both at a 1.54 PPG average......by garsh. You could put you or I on a line with them Brian and they'd still be top ten in points....well, top five with you....top ten with me.

Anyone know what happened to Jason Zucker last night from DU? During the live mens hockey chat, Jayson Hajidu said he got a tweet from someone at the DU game and apparently J Zuck got hurt real bad.

Sounds like he got dinged in the right leg pretty badly and needed help off the ice. However, he did return to the game.

This weekend I had the chance to watch a bit of the Michigan State/Minnesota games and came to a more clear understanding of why Lucia is excited to get into the Big Ten league. The amount of contact and hitting in the games was very minimal especially when compared to a normal WCHA series. Many times a MSU player had a Gopher lined up and either made a soft hit or just played the puck. That type of play is what the Gophers want to engage in with the players they get. After they are in the BT league it will be interesting to see how the do when they play more physical non-conference games.

This weekend I had the chance to watch a bit of the Michigan State/Minnesota games and came to a more clear understanding of why Lucia is excited to get into the Big Ten league. The amount of contact and hitting in the games was very minimal especially when compared to a normal WCHA series. Many times a MSU player had a Gopher lined up and either made a soft hit or just played the puck. That type of play is what the Gophers want to engage in with the players they get. After they are in the BT league it will be interesting to see how the do when they play more physical non-conference games.

Lucia (as well as most Gopher fans), are decidedly NOT excited about the Big 10 HC.

Having watched almost every Gopher game this year, I couldn't disagree with your take more. From top to bottom it may have been the most physical series the Gophers played to date.

Actually that is the way that hockey is going because of the focus on hits to the head and hits from behind. You're going to see a less physical play. Instead of smashing an opponent with a hard open ice or a hit down low along the boards you're going to see more of a play where the D-man ride the player into the boards instead of checking them hard.

• 2 weeks later...

UW manages a tie against red hot UMD.

MTU with the OT winner to stun UMN at Mariucci.

DU with 2 goals in the last 10min to beat BSU 3-2.

UAA slams CC in the Springs, 6-3...4 PPG's for UAA in that one.

Appears to be wide-open in the WCHA this year. Hopefully UND can rebound tomorrow and get the split.

Anyone else watching the Michigan Tech and Minnesota game? Minnesota decides to run up the score and so of course things start getting intense and punches start being thrown. And then Don Lucia and Grant Potulny get in a shouting match with Michigan Tech's assistant coach. Pretty hilarious.

And of course Gopher fans have to liken MTU to UND since it is all Michigan Tech's fault that the scrums started flaring up. They are the goons and as usual the Gophers are innocent in all of it. :silly:

Anyone else watching the Michigan Tech and Minnesota game? Minnesota decides to run up the score and so of course things start getting intense and punches start being thrown. And then Don Lucia and Grant Potulny get in a shouting match with Michigan Tech's assistant coach. Pretty hilarious.

Why do things like this always happen when Minnesota is involved? :silly:

• Upvote 2

And of course Gopher fans have to liken MTU to UND since it is all Michigan Tech's fault that the scrums started flaring up. They are the goons and as usual the Gophers are innocent in all of it. :silly:

Considering Tech's coaches were on camera challenging the Minnesota bench to fight (Yes the COACHES were challenging), as well as some dirty plays on the ice at the end (It all started with a blatant high stick that got the Tech player ejected for a high stick) and another Tech player got ejected on the same play, it was definitely techs fault. Add that in with some Tech players out on the ice challenging for fights and it was pretty much them.

If I recall correctly they said that Tech ended the game with 13 players.

Either way I didn't care who's fault it was, it was awesome and hilarious to watch! lol

Running up the score? I'll assume that's sarcasm lol

Considering Tech's coaches were on camera challenging the Minnesota bench to fight (Yes the COACHES were challenging), as well as some dirty plays on the ice at the end (It all started with a blatant high stick that got the Tech player ejected for a high stick) and another Tech player got ejected on the same play, it was definitely techs fault. Add that in with some Tech players out on the ice challenging for fights and it was pretty much them.

If I recall correctly they said that Tech ended the game with 13 players.

Either way I didn't care who's fault it was, it was awesome and hilarious to watch! lol

Running up the score? I'll assume that's sarcasm lol

No kidding, if I remember correctly, UND put up 8+ goals in 3 of the 4 games against Tech last year, if that isn't running up the score I don't know what is.

No kidding, if I remember correctly, UND put up 8+ goals in 3 of the 4 games against Tech last year, if that isn't running up the score I don't know what is.

I dont believe in "running up the score" at this level and higher. Your job is to stop the other team from scoring and if you don't then so be it.