SiouxSports.com Forum

"Clueless" Al at it again

fightingsioux4life

I think your all just minion's

Did you believe this too http://plainsdaily.c...ed-on-new-info/

I take everything that rag prints with a huge chunk of salt. Kate B. is definitely dogged and does some very comprehensive reporting, with some slanting here and there to make her editors, Rob and Scotty, happy, but anything that is associated with Rob Port isn't exactly a bastion of objective journalism. He's got a bit of an ax to grind. Then again, in today's world, what medium is truly objective? Pick your side and drink the Kool-aid, I guess.

What I don't get is the counterintuitiveness of this whole cost issue. The logic just doesn't compute. If UND admin is so hell bent on getting rid of the nickname just because they despise it, as many claim, wouldn't they lowball these cost figures as much as possible to make it more palatable to those who don't have any other kind of dog in the fight. Enlighten me, please!

I take everything that rag prints with a huge chunk of salt. Kate B. is definitely dogged and does some very comprehensive reporting, with some slanting here and there to make her editors, Rob and Scotty, happy, but anything that is associated with Rob Port isn't exactly a bastion of objective journalism. He's got a bit of an ax to grind. Then again, in today's world, what medium is truly objective? Pick your side and drink the Kool-aid, I guess.

What I don't get is the counterintuitiveness of this whole cost issue. The logic just doesn't compute. If UND admin is so hell bent on getting rid of the nickname just because they despise it, as many claim, wouldn't they lowball these cost figures as much as possible to make it more palatable to those who don't have any other kind of dog in the fight. Enlighten me, please!

I think we have a bingo! You're exactly right the logic does not compute.

Sorry for caps and large font, but this deserves it:

SOMEONE IN THE "KNOW" AT UND, PLEASE FIND OUT IF THE NCAA WILL BE OKAY WITH THIS AMENDED BILL BEFORE IT IS VOTED ON AND PASSES!

THANK YOU,

EXHAUSTED, FED-UP, ANGRY FIGHTING SIOUX FANS EVERYWHERE

I'm being told (by one person in the know, not a comphrehensive survey, by any means) that Dahl's amendment, at least initially, is being viewed as "acceptable" by UND -- kind of a compromise to appease the hardliners in the Legislature. The administration appears to be more thrilled that the bill came out of committees with a unanimous recommendation to repeal.

• Upvote 1

Your right, Im sure the actual numbers are much closer to 1 billion.

• Upvote 1

Sorry for caps and large font, but this deserves it:

SOMEONE IN THE "KNOW" AT UND, PLEASE FIND OUT IF THE NCAA WILL BE OKAY WITH THIS AMENDED BILL BEFORE IT IS VOTED ON AND PASSES!

THANK YOU,

EXHAUSTED, FED-UP, ANGRY FIGHTING SIOUX FANS EVERYWHERE

I am sure the NCAA will come out with a statement on this "cooling off period". So we should know soon if it is acceptable, which I see no problem with. Grand Forks Central went with an unoffical nickname (bascially using GFC with Maroon and Grey) from 1991 til the end of the school year in May 1994. 3 years...seems a little coincidence...2012-2015. Hmmm.

I'm sure the follow-up story will predict seven years of flood, famine, locusts and daily Justin Bieber concerts when the Sioux name is retired.

Back onto the topic of clueless Al.... some folks seem to think that deep down, under this idiot's exterior, he is probably really having a ton of fun. Soon as he delays UND retiring the nickname to the point that the Big Sky rejects their membership, and all the other conferences say "stay away," he is going to jump out and say, GOTCHA! What an evil genius.

I think your all just minion's

Did you believe this too http://plainsdaily.c...ed-on-new-info/

I would like to see a legislator ask what would be the actual monetary cost of retaining the nickname..............

Retaining the nickname under current circumstances would mean we accept the NCAA sanctions. By all accounts, accepting the sanctions means UND will not join the Big Sky Conference. So, what are the monetary costs of being independent in all but two NCAA sports?

Off the top of my head............

-$600,000 per year to buy home football games

-$25,000 per year to have alternate uniforms for the Men's & Women's hockey teams so they can participate in post season events

-$135,000 per year in lost revenue sharing from the Big Sky Conference

-$20,000 per year in potential lost revenue from not being able to host NCAA playoff women's hockey games

-$100,000 per year in potential lost revenue from not being able to host NCAA playoff football games

-$200,000 per year in potential lost revenue from guarantee football games (because schools like Iowa and Wisconsin pay way more and are closer than Ball St. and Wyoming)

-$???,??? per year in lost contributions to Fighting Sioux Club because all but two sports will become non-competetive

Back onto the topic of clueless Al.... some folks seem to think that deep down, under this idiot's exterior, he is probably really having a ton of fun. Soon as he delays UND retiring the nickname to the point that the Big Sky rejects their membership, and all the other conferences say "stay away," he is going to jump out and say, GOTCHA! What an evil genius.

If by "evil genius", you really mean "self-righteous, politically motivated egomaniac", I'd say that's about right.

The North Dakota Senate has voted 39-7 to allow UND to drop the name and logo with the "cooling off period" amendment:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hzxfmf50-6VEp-jdQIBDqifj9MYQ?docId=c822fb3fac244a1c9a8c1f5020094bd2

Now it's on to the House where I hope "Clueless Al" doesn't try to sabotage this. :glare:

Al wants one thing: To take power over the universities (I'm looking at you too NDSU) back from the ND SBoHE into the Legislature.

NDSU is well aware of this. I think it was Wyo who brought this up earlier this year on this board. Alvin and the Chipmunks are going to destroy higher ed in ND if they get their way. I am hoping his political career is soon over.

• Upvote 1

Folks, it has to be this way for there to be any hope of retaining the moniker at any point.

The power is in the hands of Spirit Lake Sioux Tribe.

Either they step up or we all move on.

And if they do step up, all the moniker opponents have to take it up with them.