SiouxSports.com Forum

"Clueless" Al at it again

fightingsioux4life

KFGO reported this morning that Rep. Al Carlson (R-Fargo) is offering an amendment to the nickname law that would require UND to keep the name and logo until all legal action has been exhausted. The Spirit Lake lawsuit could take years to resolve in the Federal Courts. That would mean no Big Sky Conference, no home playoff games and an almost impossible scheduling situation for most of our teams.

This amendment MUST BE DEFEATED or else it's NAIA here we come! :angry:

• Upvote 1

KFGO reported this morning that Rep. Al Carlson (R-Fargo) is offering an amendment to the nickname law that would require UND to keep the name and logo until all legal action has been exhausted. The Spirit Lake lawsuit could take years to resolve in the Federal Courts. That would mean no Big Sky Conference, no home playoff games and an almost impossible scheduling situation for most of our teams.

This amendment MUST BE DEFEATED or else it's NAIA here we come! :angry:

I dont think that is quite right. I thought it was a moratorium on selecting a new name, until all litigation was done..................in 2045.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/220664/

Here is a link to the KFGO web site: http://www.kfgo.com/...p?ID=0000005911

Here is the passage that talks about "Clueless" Al's proposed amendment:

House Republican Majority leader Al Carlson has another amendment to block the university from dropping the nickname and logo until all lawsuits over the issue have been settled. Espegard calls Carlson's proposal "wrongheaded." The committees will vote on the amendments later Tuesday.

The other amendments being tossed around only pertain to not picking a new name right away; which is what will probably happen anyway.

Like I said above, THIS MUST BE DEFEATED!!! Our future depends on it.

• Upvote 1

Here is a link to the KFGO web site: http://www.kfgo.com/...p?ID=0000005911

Here is the passage that talks about "Clueless" Al's proposed amendment:

House Republican Majority leader Al Carlson has another amendment to block the university from dropping the nickname and logo until all lawsuits over the issue have been settled. Espegard calls Carlson's proposal "wrongheaded." The committees will vote on the amendments later Tuesday.

The other amendments being tossed around only pertain to not picking a new name right away; which is what will probably happen anyway.

Like I said above, THIS MUST BE DEFEATED!!! Our future depends on it.

Missed that one. I'm reminded of the line from "A few good men." No, not THAT line.

"Should we or should we not follow the advice of the galactically stupid!"

I like this amendment it prevents the policitally correct zealots from rushing a new nickname choice. I thought I read that the NCAA was trying to force UND to choose a new name pretty quickly - because they know that if there is no replacement that fans will simply keep calling the team Fighting Sioux.

• Upvote 1

I like this amendment it prevents the policitally correct zealots from rushing a new nickname choice. I thought I read that the NCAA was trying to force UND to choose a new name pretty quickly - because they know that if there is no replacement that fans will simply keep calling the team Fighting Sioux.

It also annoys the Big Sky. Which is not something you as a fan of UND should be overly pleased about.

• Upvote 2

I was trying to find a copy of the settlement online so I could refresh my memory on the sanctions. Will UND remain on the list until a new name is chosen, or is it removed once the name is retired? Hopefully it's the latter, otherwise the amendment to the bill could still hurt UND.

As I was looking, I also came across this statement that was released by the NCAA following the settlement in 2007. http://fs.ncaa.org/D...%2BLawsuit.html

I found this quote to be especially humorous as well...

One fundamental purpose of the policy was and is to listen to the Native American community and the NCAA sought input from them during the settlement negotiations,” said Franklin. “The settlement confirms that the Sioux people – and no one else – should decide whether and how their name should be used,” he added.

It looks like the legislature has opted for the sanity of a cooling-off period instead of what "Clueless Al" wanted:

http://www.kfgo.com/fm-headline-news.php?ID=0000005911

Grand Forks Rep. Stacey Dahl says the measure prevents UND from adopting a new nickname and logo until January 2015. She calls it a "cooling-off" period.

Now this is more like it. That would give everyone time to "cool off" and it would allow us to proceed with entrance into the Big Sky Conference. It also would give Spirit Lake time to proceed with their lawsuit, which I hope is successful. The NCAA needs a big helping of humble pie. :angry:

So let me get this straight. This amendment will not allow us to gain a new nickname for 3 years. Ok how did they come up with that number? That seems very arbitrary to me? It may be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. :lol: I can't stop laughing at this its so beyond stupid. As if there is a prescribed amount of time that will automatically transpire and all of a sudden we can get a new nickname? Some people will not be ready 20 years from now. Some will be ready next year. I've been on record as saying the sooner the bettter. There's no sense on trying to keep the bandaid on. It's going to hurt no matter when it comes off. But honestly, who are these people who came up with this number of 3 years? How in the world did they get to it? Is it a message from god? "3 years from now- it will be ok to get a new nickname" If anything it just goes to show how moronic our elected officials in ND are. Wow. Whatever, it is- this is very funny.

So let me get this straight. This amendment will not allow us to gain a new nickname for 3 years. Ok how did they come up with that number? That seems very arbitrary to me? It may be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. :lol: I can't stop laughing at this its so beyond stupid. As if there is a prescribed amount of time that will automatically transpire and all of a sudden we can get a new nickname? Some people will not be ready 20 years from now. Some will be ready next year. I've been on record as saying the sooner the bettter. There's no sense on trying to keep the bandaid on. It's going to hurt no matter when it comes off. But honestly, who are these people who came up with this number of 3 years? How in the world did they get to it? Is it a message from god? "3 years from now- it will be ok to get a new nickname" If anything it just goes to show how moronic our elected officials in ND are. Wow. Whatever, it is- this is very funny.

Exactly. And what happens in 3 years when the cooling off period ends. This is the sort of reasoning you use with a unruly 3 year old,

I was trying to find a copy of the settlement online so I could refresh my memory on the sanctions. Will UND remain on the list until a new name is chosen, or is it removed once the name is retired? Hopefully it's the latter, otherwise the amendment to the bill could still hurt UND.

As I was looking, I also came across this statement that was released by the NCAA following the settlement in 2007. http://fs.ncaa.org/D...%2BLawsuit.html

I found this quote to be especially humorous as well...

Ok, I will answer my own question...I think.

The settlement initially states UND will need to complete its transition to a new nickname by August 15th of 2011. Obviously this isn't possible with all of the twists and turns, laws, etc that have taken place since the transition. However, it also states "In the event UND secures namesake approval, but such approval is withdrawn After November 30th 2010, UND shall have one year to complete transition to a new nickname/logo, unless parties mutually agree to a time period of longer than one year.

To me this means we remain on sanctions unless the NCAA agrees to the 3 year cooling off period. Anyone else see the potential problems this cooling off period could have?