SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Chaves isn’t going to reveal Kennedy’s total vision to you.  Are you kidding.

I was wrong on the Summit because I didn't think two FBS leagues would be birthed out of the WAC remnants.  I’ve admitted that I was wrong but you keep harping on it.

IPFW, ORU and W Illinois are not schools for UND to associate with.  That was my point that never sinks into your skull.  People in athletic departments are clueless what will happen about this on order from the Presidents, but you take words from people like Southpaw’s position as some sort of gospel.

A WAC will be realigned soon and the Summit moves will follow.  By July 1st.

Kennedy doesn't have a vision of FBS. Nor do the majority of other schools you listed. UND is currently at where they belong. 

You claim UND doesn't want to associate with those schools, yet you have continously linked them to schools that are much worse than those. 

You keep tieing UND's move to the Summit as some sort of tie to an FBS move. I am unequivocally telling you that it had absolutely zero to with that. That is coming from people involved in the discussions.

The only move they may come from the Summit by July 1 is the loss of IUPUI and/or the addition of another though, possibly UMKC. There will not be any realignment announcements. 

I like the idea of some sort of combination of Summit and Big Sky schools forming a Great North type of conference, however I don't see a situation where it ever happens

14 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Your ignorance makes you a comedian.  So Faison is going to blab the Montana’s are moving over.  Faison is awfully good at fibbing, like the time he said the Fighting Sioux nickname was the talk of a Big Sky AD teleconference.  Sac St AD said the nickname wasn’t even discussed, but Miller at the Herald had a story with only one source Faison and this board was so sure UND would be evicted from the Big Sky.  

Craves was on a Sit Down and Cheer podcast where he talked about he and his wife were Whalers season ticket holder, that he was on the committee that hired Rand Pecknold at the Q and why the AD is a lonely job because you can’t reveal things and promise to much.  Listen to it.

You will always be a peon in an athletic department if you take the word of AD’s and Presidents seriously at all times.  Much of what they say is PR and they don’t tell anyone about their vision unless you have money or power.

Your behavior is borderline LakesBison.  Instead of saying NDSU to the MWC, your duty is to squelch any talk of FBS anywhere.  So Larson is in your back pocket sitting on his *ss and eating sausages.

Only you have been more wrong on predictions than Lakesbison.  It doesnt happen often but he does pluck one out every now and then. You are still batting ZERO.

• 3 weeks later...

Liberty is moving to the Atlantic Sun.

http://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-to-make-major-conference-affiliation-announcement/

Followed by James Madison, Delaware, Stony Brook and Jacksonville St and maybe Youngstown St, UNH, Chattanooga.  The A Sun already has Kennesaw St and UNF and FGCU would want FBS someday.  By July 1st this will all get sorted out, as will the Summit and WAC.  

8 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I think this would qualify, the Summit league offices are moving to Sioux Falls. 

Does that prohibit SDSU’s move out of the Summit should a mid major (MVC) come calling? Or would they go anyways.

29 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I think this would qualify, the Summit league offices are moving to Sioux Falls. 

And that merely serves to further focus the Summit League away from its prior core (Illinois/Indiana) west to the I-29 corridor. You can see that steady westerly migration by looking at the list of former members.

That said, this announcement makes me even more sure that IPFW will be trying to get into a more Indiana-centric group (like where IUPUI went) and Western Illinois will probably also be shopping (most likely the OVC). 

28 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Does that prohibit SDSU’s move out of the Summit should a mid major (MVC) come calling? Or would they go anyways.

Um, the Summit League offices are moving into the Sanford Sports Complex.
Why would they leave a conference where the tournament is and will be played on their alternate home court? 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Um, the Summit League offices are moving into the Sanford Sports Complex.
Why would they leave a conference where the tournament is and will be played on their alternate home court? 

Money and prestige.  

The Summit has been bought and paid for by Sanford.  If your school has taken Sanford money you are 100% tied to this conference.  USD, SDSU, and NDSU will be going nowhere else anytime soon.  Same can be said for UND once you all join us.  The Dakota 4 are joined at the hip in the Summit.  The best thing we can do is work from within to improve the conference and try to attract better schools to come on over because none of us are going anywhere.

Wondering how things are going with UMKC and playing in the WAC.  We all know what that kind of travel can do to an athletic budget.  They are right in the "129 Corridor" so to speak that the Summit is moving more towards.  I wonder if their budget issues with travel will catch up with them and they would consider coming back.

12 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Wondering how things are going with UMKC and playing in the WAC.  We all know what that kind of travel can do to an athletic budget.  They are right in the "129 Corridor" so to speak that the Summit is moving more towards.  I wonder if their budget issues with travel will catch up with them and they would consider coming back.

I recall they were doing a study on that very issue, even going back to D2 was on the table for them. 

5 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I recall they were doing a study on that very issue, even going back to D2 was on the table for them. 

Looking a the Summit map now since they left with the addition of Oral Roberts coming back and UND joining, you would think that the travel looks a heck of a lot more attractive than playing a WAC schedule!

The situation at the Illinois directionals is getting more serious, if that is possible.  Western Illinois has a projected freshman enrollment of 815, which will be down more than 30%.  Budget cuts could be massive and further tuition costs rising even more.  The Summit could have another Chicago St on its hands.  There is talk that WIU will drop to DII to cut costs.  Under the current Summit League sports system, WIU has both baseball and men’s soccer, which are critical to keep tSL’s autobid.  The Summit League needs new schools, preferably that play football.

https://capitolfax.com/2018/05/22/wiu-looking-at-drastic-enrollment-declines-deficit-spending-increases/

Illinois residents are sending their kids out of state for college education, as out-of-state tuition is often cheaper than instate Illinois tuition.  Iowa St and others has seen a massive rise in Illinois residents that are students.

http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/20180522/declining-enrollment-deficit-prompt-concerns-about-reserves

14 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

http://www.thesummitleague.org/general/2017-18/releases/20180522mvqj3e

One item I don’t like from tSL relocation release is Kelby Krabbenhoft is prominently mentioned.  As a former Augie athlete and now booster, he has major influence.  Augie has until June 1st to get a Summit bid.

Kelby Krabbenhoft was not a former Augie athlete, he didn't even attend the school. He was an athlete at Moorhead State and later attended Mankato to get his Masters. The facts on him are really easy to find. Is he an Augie booster? Yes, he had a son attend the school to play FB. Of course he also had a son attend Wisconsin and a daughter attend Moorhead. More then an Augie booster, Krabbenhoft is a SIOUX FALLS booster, thus the feather in his cap getting the league offices to move closer to the geographical center of the league.

Where you and I can agree, I do not want Augie (not many SDSU fans want Augie) in the Summit. Maybe moving the league offices is a bone thrown to Kelby thus taking Augustana off the map. The Sioux Falls media have been pimping Augie to the Summit. The school administration, pummeled by the local media has been coy about a possible move. Several have openly discussed the problems Augustana faces in fundraising, student population, facilities, and long term viability at the D1 level. Even their President admitted that they may be better off staying D2 and that a lot of their boosters like that they have been able to have success at the D2 level. A lot of the Augie talk seems to surround the league tournament and some boosters wanting them to be part of the SLT. Moving to D1 for one weekend a year would be a stupid move. I do not believe that the leadership at Augie are that stupid. 

I highly doubt SDSU, USD or NDSU are interested in bringing Augie in the league. Would the league risk losing SDSU or NDSU by bringing in Augie? Do they want the two schools to begin looking for league options? 

The continued success of the league as a whole relies on the two XDSU's sticking around.  

On 5/24/2018 at 9:09 AM, jacksfan29 said:

I highly doubt SDSU, USD or NDSU are interested in bringing Augie in the league. Would the league risk losing SDSU or NDSU by bringing in Augie? Do they want the two schools to begin looking for league options? 

The continued success of the league as a whole relies on the two XDSU's sticking around.  

Fortunately for you, reactionary fans with an inflated view of their school's importance don't make those decisions.  As an occupational hazard, Athletic Directors tend to take a more balanced view.  Let me know when Justin Sell gets a call from the Missouri Valley.  Or better yet, the Big 12.

The continued success of the league is not dependent on just two schools.  Unless you think you  can have the same success as an independent?  With UND now in the league you will see a couple more games a year where opposing fans actually travel to Brookings.  Same would be true with Augie.  Same with Mankato.

If you think SDSU is too "big time" to stay in the Summit, what are your other options?

The XDSU’s aren’t going anywhere.  The MVC throws up when they are brought up and with Loyola’s success this year, they are only considering major upgrades like St Louis or Dayton.  Murray St is even an upgrade because they bring fans to St Louis and often make the dance.  The XDSU’s don’t have enough fans watching on tv to be worth anything.

But the Summit doesn’t need more NCC2.0 schools, but more flagships like the Montanas and Idaho.   WIU and IPFW are like overgrown Moorhead St’s with no fanbase.  ORU is like Augie with a wider spread alumni base.

Since I am posting on the UND site, I may as well get your opinion on an idea I have kicked around.  With UND, Denver and Omaha all in the Summit, what would you guys think about the League trying to sponsor hockey?  You need six teams minimum, but they might be able to add three affiliate programs to start.  Possibly St Cloud, Mankato, Air Force?  (I noticed that AF is a geographic outlier in their hockey conference).  It might get some Summit teams to consider adding the sport in the future, and in the meantime it would be one more buffer against losing the auto-bid.

I'm sure you guys are very happy in your current hockey conference, and this is a terrible idea that would never happen, but I'm just spit-balling.  When Summit Commissioner Douple was asked about expansion in light of losing the auto-bid, he said he wasn't worried about that, because we could just add affiliate members if needed.  That got me thinking.  I think that adding UND may have been good for keeping Denver and Omaha in the fold because of hockey.  And that is a sport that can actually draw fans, despite the high costs.

You'd be better off trying to convince the Summit League and National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) to merge administrative structures under one roof. 

UND and DU were the driving force to formation of the NCHC. Omaha is an original member. I don't see that breaking up any time soon as the NCHC (UND, DU, Duluth) has won the last three NCAA DI titles. 

Want to ensure the Summit keeps its MBB autobid? Start Summit League football. Done. 

• Upvote 3

Don’t think DII or DIII teams count for affiliate members unless DII doesn’t sponsor the sport..  Dallas Baptist baseball is in the MVC, but that league can’t count a DII as an official member for their autobid.  Dallas Baptist is a power baseball team in the MVC and increasing recruiting in Texas, but it’s DI status in that sport only doesn’t count for much.  Hartwick dropped men’s soccer even though it messed with the Sun Belt because the NCAA doesn’t recognize DII teams playing up a level for conference purposes anymore.  Dallas Baptist is the nearly the only DII baseball team playing at a DI level when their used to be many like Hawaii-Hilo, NYIT, LeMoyne and others.  The same rules apply differently to hockey, which DII doesn’t sponsor it.

Unaffiliated DI baseball and men’s soccer teams are not existent in the Midwest.  Have to pry one away from the MVC or Horizon, which won’t happen because the conferences are at the minimum too.  The cheapest way is to force USD and UND to start either baseball or men’s soccer and that won’t happen.  It’s either sponsor football or bust.  Double if he has a functioning brain should know that, but he won’t admit it publically.  Moving the MVFC to under the Summit roof too doesn’t do any good, because the autobid rules require at least six FCS members that are full conference members.

• Upvote 1

Good info on Hockey.  Also on D-II affiliates.

Adding UNC as a baseball affiliate could be a prelude to full membership.  The WAC, where they are affiliates now, has 9 teams.  The WAC also has 11 men's soccer teams, including Air Force....

28 minutes ago, kiyoat said:

Good info on Hockey.  Also on D-II affiliates.

Adding UNC as a baseball affiliate could be a prelude to full membership.  The WAC, where they are affiliates now, has 9 teams.  The WAC also has 11 men's soccer teams, including Air Force....

Incarnate Word and Houston Baptist men’s soccer could be poached from the WAC.  The Sun Belt is probably trying to get them too.

But they probably would loathe to affiliate with the Summit having WIU and IPFW in it, because their issues with the Summit are well known to AD’s or would be just with phone calls.

At least one of the sports need to have a full contingent of six teams from the conference.  The other one can have four teams plus two affiliates.  Some leagues have more affiliates, but they already meet the autobid need with other sports.  The NCAA has issued a ruling on this issue and is rather involved.  The Summit will face this if any of IPFW, WIU, Omaha or ORU leave.

Wrestling doesn’t qualify as a team sport, but the EWL has four DII Pennsylvania schools that play up in that sport and associate with three other schools that are members of a non-wrestling sponsored conferences.