SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

15 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The EWU board is taliking like CWU in the Big Sky by 2021 is sure thing.  For that to happen, the research schools have to be gone first. The Dakota's won't allow Augustana in either for the same reason.  Chaves  had to leave because he knew the Big Sky's future was ominous.

Like @cberkas, I didn't see that discussion anywhere. You'd think CWU would have actually already announced a move up if they were going to be in the Big Sky by 2021 instead of just starting to put funds together to upgrade their facilities, which takes multiple years at minimum. The future of the Big Sky isn't ominous despite what you keep claiming, they aren't going to go in a tailspin after decades of stability partially because there is nowhere for anyone to go. And Chaves leaving EWU had absolutely nothing to do with the Big Sky's future, I can guarantee you that. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Like @cberkas, I didn't see that discussion anywhere. You'd think CWU would have actually already announced a move up if they were going to be in the Big Sky by 2021 instead of just starting to put funds together to upgrade their facilities, which takes multiple years at minimum. The future of the Big Sky isn't ominous despite what you keep claiming, they aren't going to go in a tailspin after decades of stability partially because there is nowhere for anyone to go. And Chaves leaving EWU had absolutely nothing to do with the Big Sky's future, I can guarantee you that. 

So I guess you know all of Chaves thoughts as you claim to know everything else.

13 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So I guess you know all of Chaves thoughts as you claim to know everything else.

All of them? No. But I sat in on his forum and had a chance to ask him a few questions. EWU's conference affiliation was nowhere on the radar when discussing why he was interested in leaving EWU. And I'm not sure why it would be, there is zero reason to think the Big Sky is going anywhere despite the theories that you have floated out there and have continued to fail to materialize.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

All of them? No. But I sat in on his forum and had a chance to ask him a few questions. EWU's conference affiliation was nowhere on the radar when discussing why he was interested in leaving EWU. And I'm not sure why it would be, there is zero reason to think the Big Sky is going anywhere despite the theories that you have floated out there and have continued to fail to materialize.

So his statements proved he wasn't a clown.  Chaves will keep his motivations closed to the public but open to Kennedy.  It's like a political news conference but you are too clueless to even recognize that.

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

So his statements proved he wasn't a clown.  Chaves will keep his motivations closed to the public but open to Kennedy.  It's like a political news conference but you are too clueless to even recognize that.

Is that like when Schaffer and Kennedy were moving UND to the WAC? 

He didn't leave there because of some random conference issue that isn't going to happen and doesn't even make sense (which you still haven't shown a link where is being talked about), he left because the president there didn't have the same vision for athletics as he did and he saw UND as a better opportunity and it was as close to an ideal time to move his family if he was going to do it at all because of the ages of his kids. 

• 4 weeks later...

The Big Sky is too big, both in geography and number of institutions (for FCS).

i know many on here deride SiouxVolley, but it would be nice if the school presidents had his vision. The research institutions of the northern states really should peel off and form an 8 to 10 team conference of like-minded schools.

disclaimer - always liked UND in the Big Sky over the Summit League. Would have preferred that UND stay put in the BSC. On the other hand, restarting rivalries in the Summit is understandable.

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Honestly, if they got someone to take UNC off of their hands they can go to 10/12 and be good. 

I’m surprised that idiot Douple didn’t when UNC and UND were trying to find baseball homes, I understand why they passed on us, but why pass on UNC especially at that time they needed a team to keep autobids. 

1 hour ago, zonadub said:

That would make the MVFC nervous. 6 football schools in the Summit?

It would get the Summit back to 10, add a decent WBB and VB school. MBB program would be ok. Travel partner for Denver.  I'd take them over UMKC because I'm down on retreads and even they have issues as to whether they are going down to DII or not. (I'd get the whole NCC 2.0 thing but as a athletic program they are much better than UMKC). Realistically, those are the only two options to me. 

If it was possible, but likely a pipedream, I'd reach out to NMSU but they wouldn't want to leave the WAC unless it further de-stabilized (would solve the Summit baseball issue, add a great MBB school to strengthen the Summit, pair a great travel partner to either ORU or Denver). 

A bigger pipedream would have been the Montana Schools. 

Of course the Summit would need to stay at 9 and who knows how long they would stay that way.  

Next week during Arch Madness, the MVC Presidents will have a periodic meeting.  Some Murray State posters on their board say they will be voted in shortly as one of two schools  next year.  On another MVC board, the rumor is St Louis has been told to prepare for 12 teams next year.  Presumably, one of those teams will have exited the Horizon.  The Horizon will be forced to add then, and IPFW badly wants out of the Summit and into the Horizon.  Losing IPFW, which has men’s soccer and baseball, could unravel the Summit as it wouldn’t have enough schools sponsoring two key sports to retain its auto bid, unless it has a plan.  DII teams don’t count for five years, so if the Summit doesn’t invite existing DI schools, it may be SOL.  Time is quickly approaching that will tell if Kennedy moved to the Summit as a strategic move, or merely a short sighted cost cutting one.

11 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Next week during Arch Madness, the MVC Presidents will have a periodic meeting.  Some Murray State posters on their board say they will be voted in shortly as one of two schools  next year.  On another MVC board, the rumor is St Louis has been told to prepare for 12 teams next year.  Presumably, one of those teams will have exited the Horizon.  The Horizon will be forced to add then, and IPFW badly wants out of the Summit and into the Horizon.  Losing IPFW, which has men’s soccer and baseball, could unravel the Summit as it wouldn’t have enough schools sponsoring two key sports to retain its auto bid, unless it has a plan.  DII teams don’t count for five years, so if the Summit doesn’t invite existing DI schools, it may be SOL.  Time is quickly approaching that will tell if Kennedy moved to the Summit as a strategic move, or merely a short sighted cost cutting one.

umkc

Oh that silly old Section 20.02.5.2(b) requirement

The conference shall sponsor a minimum of six men’s sports, one of which shall be men’s basketball. In addition to men’s basketball, the conference shall sponsor football or two other men’s team sports. A minimum of seven members shall sponsor men’s basketball. A minimum of six members shall sponsor five other sports, including football or two additional men’s team sports;

20.02.5 "Multisport Conference" of the DI manual is an interesting read. 

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:48 AM, SiouxVolley said:

Couldn't they ask one of the Dakota 4 to start a mens soccer program?  I am actually surprised there isn't one yet amongst them.    

If the WAC continues to become more unstable, what about NMSU?