SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Sicatoka

Conference Realignments - Take 2

bison73   
1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Drew the troll out of retirement.  Shame on me.  These trolls think everything happen instantaneously.  The only thing that will happen in the near term is the further abandonment of the Slummit, which you consistently assured us wouldn't happen.  :xmas:

You are now lying again. I never assured you of anything.  Teams leave. The Summit will be fine.  Like the Big Sky. Are you saying the BSC is unstable also?

If things dont happen instantaneously why were you predicting all of those FBS predictions to happen this spring? You know with all of the favores you said the NCAA owed you?

(that was a knee slapper)

OBTW--If the Summit is so bad why are you joining it? :lol:

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, bison73 said:

OBTW--If the Summit is so bad why are you joining it? :lol:

Kennedy is planning a demo and remodel, and the Slummit will be a true Summit when we get in.

Research and academics matter.  IUPUI wasn't wanted according to your bisonvile pals, but the Horizon Presidents sure wanted their academics.

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/7/12/15960170/

That's why Big Sky Presidents of academic and research universities want a better league that they can do business with in things other than athletics.  College presidents and athletics conferences have more exclusive dynamics than wealthy country clubs.

51 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Hey Anderson, pass the soda and popcorn would ya, and can somebody get me a chair!

giphy.gif

When IPFW and Robert Morris get invited to the Horizon soon, as RMU needs time to get its lax and fb straightened out, crap is really going to hit the fan.  Idaho's President is waiting to place demands on a Summit football conference of all research schools.

13 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

When IPFW and Robert Morris get invited to the Horizon soon, as RMU needs time to get its lax and fb straightened out, crap is really going to hit the fan.  Idaho's President is waiting to place demands on a Summit football conference of all research schools.

I do think it when not if for IPFW or whatever they want to be called now.  What the Summit does after that.... who knows. 

Won't lie, Idaho and the Montanas would be a dream...

On 7/3/2017 at 8:54 PM, SiouxVolley said:

This coming year has been carefully planned out for a decade.  Dropping baseball had everything to do with taking over the Summit with new football teams, but admittedly I don't have proof.

You lost me there, unless carefully planned out = reactive for a decade.  UND was late to the party in both moving to D1 and cost of attendance to name a couple things.  Now UND is going to lead the best of the Summit/MVFC and Big Sky to FBS?

Why FBS?  In your vision, will the new Summit have 85 scholarships and COA?  I find it hard to believe that the Big Sky schools in your scenario, which are not even offering COA, can now afford 85 scholarships and COA.  Any chance your new Summit League would stay FCS and 63 scholarships?

I am glad UND is coming to the Summit as the Dakota four offer a strong base.  I believe the Summit is more stable than many believe.  I don't think UNO is going anywhere with budget issues and UND/Denver now in the league.  Don't think the Horizon offers much to UNO.  UNC would provide more value to the Summit than UMKC with baseball and football.  UMKC would be a warm body.  Would like to see the Summit go on the offensive and poach from another conference for a change.

UND-1   
1 minute ago, BisonCardinal said:

You lost me there, unless carefully planned out = reactive for a decade.  UND was late to the party in both moving to D1 and cost of attendance to name a couple things.  Now UND is going to lead the best of the Summit/MVFC and Big Sky to FBS?

Why FBS?  In your vision, will the new Summit have 85 scholarships and COA?  I find it hard to believe that the Big Sky schools in your scenario, which are not even offering COA, can now afford 85 scholarships and COA.  Any chance your new Summit League would stay FCS and 63 scholarships?

I am glad UND is coming to the Summit as the Dakota four offer a strong base.  I believe the Summit is more stable than many believe.  I don't think UNO is going anywhere with budget issues and UND/Denver now in the league.  Don't think the Horizon offers much to UNO.  UNC would provide more value to the Summit than UMKC with baseball and football.  UMKC would be a warm body.  Would like to see the Summit go on the offensive for a change and poach from another conference for a change.

Late to the party with FCOA?   :blink:

• Upvote 2

bison73   
1 minute ago, UND-1 said:

Well you did offer only a couple of sports FCOA with the statement " I believe--we will see what happens".  Then NDSU offered FCOA to All of our athletes and full funding to all of our sports at which time UND announced the same except all of your sports arent fully funded.

13 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

I am talking football.  I think NDSU was behind Liberty in that regard.

I applaud UND for being the only Big Sky football school to offer it, but I saw it more as a reactive move to staying competitive in the recruiting footprint of the Dakota schools.

UND-1   
7 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Well you did offer only a couple of sports FCOA with the statement " I believe--we will see what happens".  Then NDSU offered FCOA to All of our athletes and full funding to all of our sports at which time UND announced the same except all of your sports arent fully funded.

How is that "late"?  He was talking about FCOA as it relates to all of college athletics, not universities in North Dakota.

UND-1   
Just now, BisonCardinal said:

I am talking football.  I think NDSU was behind Liberty in that regard.

I applaud UND for being the only Big Sky football school to offer it, but I saw it more as a reactive move to stay competitive in the recruiting footprint of the Dakota schools.

So UND was third in all of FCS to offer it.  How lazy.

• Upvote 1

bison73   
On 7/3/2017 at 8:54 PM, SiouxVolley said:

This coming year has been carefully planned out for a decade.  Dropping baseball had everything to do with taking over the Summit with new football teams, but admittedly I don't have proof.

:lol: Lets see???? You were in the BSC conference for what???  5 whole years. Which according to you guys were the best conference in the whole world for you guys. Before that the Great West. So during all of that time youve been pining to get in the MVFC and the Summit? :lol:  Hmmmm where during this grand plan were you going to wiggle your move to FBS?

Thats the problem with lies. Youve told so many you cant keep track of them all .  :0

bison73   
16 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Kennedy is planning a demo and remodel, and the Slummit will be a true Summit when we get in.

Research and academics matter.  IUPUI wasn't wanted according to your bisonvile pals, but the Horizon Presidents sure wanted their academics.

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/7/12/15960170/

That's why Big Sky Presidents of academic and research universities want a better league that they can do business with in things other than athletics.  College presidents and athletics conferences have more exclusive dynamics than wealthy country clubs.

:lol:

18 hours ago, BisonCardinal said:

You lost me there, unless carefully planned out = reactive for a decade. 

" ... carefully planned out ... " is a bit strong for me. 

A vision. A dream. Something that if opportunities presented, it was edged towards, sure.

There is an Internet rumor that EIU will end their men's soccer program after this season is over.  EIU saw a 25% decrease in freshman last year and a 13% overall drop.  Since EIU depends on student fees, something must be cut.

It's a big deal to the Summit as it would leave them with 5 men's soccer teams, and men's soccer is one of their designate team sports that keeps the men's autobid alive.  Losing IPFW would be worse as IPFW is a key school for the two team sports, baseball and men's soccer.  But EIU men's soccer is still critical, as the MAC and MVC have been scarfing up men's soccer affiliates - SIU-E just went to the MAC for the sport as Buffalo dropped it.  But losing either EIU men's soccer or IPFW or WIU or Omaha or ORU would put the Summit in an existential crisis.

The Summit just needs to sponsor football and all this baseball and men's soccer crap don't matter to the Summit Leagues mbb autobid anymore.

Depending on Illinois universities for anything right now seems foolhardy at best for any league riding the margins of membership. 

The Summit sponsoring football would solve many of their "membership to maintain the MBB autobid" issues. Remember: the Summit has been down this road once before (getting  a waiver while Omaha became a full DI and baseball member). 

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Depending on Illinois universities for anything right now seems foolhardy at best for any league riding the margins of membership. 

The Summit sponsoring football would solve many of their "membership to maintain the MBB autobid" issues. Remember: the Summit has been down this road once before (getting  a waiver while Omaha became a full DI and baseball member). 

Illinois saved itself temporarily from ruin as the leftists rammed through a large tax increase.  The middle class and rich will have even more $ reasons to exit to Indiana and Wisconsin and Texas and Florida.  The poor directional U's don't have real endowments or anything so parents get cheaper out of state tuition than from in state Illinois directionals.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Illinois saved itself temporarily from ruin as the leftists rammed through a large tax increase.  The middle class and rich will have even more $ reasons to exit to Indiana and Wisconsin and Texas and Florida.  The poor directional U's don't have real endowments or anything so parents get cheaper out of state tuition than from in state Illinois directionals.

exactly....just kicking the can down the road for the next guy

So the Western Illinois AD basically admits that they are looking to get out of the Summit, but doesn't want to cause panic among his fans.  "But to say we will bury our heads in the sand and not pay attention to everything else going on, I think from a realignment standpoint would be silly."   Earlier, he stakes that IPFW is effectively gone, as the Horizon wants more schools.

So W Ill is looking at the OVC (the only conference that would take them) and IPFW will get its Horizon walking papers, and Omaha is looking.  That doesn't portend well for the Summit unless it has Big Sky schools already set to move.

http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20170714/western-facing-conference-changes

9 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

So the Western Illinois AD basically admits that they are looking to get out of the Summit, but doesn't want to cause panic among his fans.  "But to say we will bury our heads in the sand and not pay attention to everything else going on, I think from a realignment standpoint would be silly."   Earlier, he stakes that IPFW is effectively gone, as the Horizon wants more schools.

So W Ill is looking at the OVC (the only conference that would take them) and IPFW will get its Horizon walking papers, and Omaha is looking.  That doesn't portend well for the Summit unless it has Big Sky schools already set to move.

How is ORU still in the Summit, they left then came back, why? No other school is close to Tulsa.

Yote 53   
13 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

He didn't say that.  He said what every AD at every other school in the conference would say.  He said they are a good fit for their current conferences but have to mindful of the ever changing landscape.  That's a fair assessment. 

The only AD's in the country who can say they are rock solid with where they are at and will never leave are those AD's in the Big Ten and SEC.  For everybody else, money talks, and you can never say never.

On 7/23/2017 at 5:41 PM, SiouxVolley said:

There is an Internet rumor that EIU will end their men's soccer program after this season is over.  EIU saw a 25% decrease in freshman last year and a 13% overall drop.  Since EIU depends on student fees, something must be cut.

It's a big deal to the Summit as it would leave them with 5 men's soccer teams, and men's soccer is one of their designate team sports that keeps the men's autobid alive.  Losing IPFW would be worse as IPFW is a key school for the two team sports, baseball and men's soccer.  But EIU men's soccer is still critical, as the MAC and MVC have been scarfing up men's soccer affiliates - SIU-E just went to the MAC for the sport as Buffalo dropped it.  But losing either EIU men's soccer or IPFW or WIU or Omaha or ORU would put the Summit in an existential crisis.

The Summit just needs to sponsor football and all this baseball and men's soccer crap don't matter to the Summit Leagues mbb autobid anymore.

Eastern Illinois is in the OVC.  Did you mean Western Illinois?

46 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Eastern Illinois is in the OVC.  Did you mean Western Illinois?

EIU has its men's soccer in the Summit as an affiliate