SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

13 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Late to the party with FCOA?   :blink:

I am talking football.  I think NDSU was behind Liberty in that regard.

I applaud UND for being the only Big Sky football school to offer it, but I saw it more as a reactive move to staying competitive in the recruiting footprint of the Dakota schools.

7 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Well you did offer only a couple of sports FCOA with the statement " I believe--we will see what happens".  Then NDSU offered FCOA to All of our athletes and full funding to all of our sports at which time UND announced the same except all of your sports arent fully funded.

How is that "late"?  He was talking about FCOA as it relates to all of college athletics, not universities in North Dakota.

Just now, BisonCardinal said:

I am talking football.  I think NDSU was behind Liberty in that regard.

I applaud UND for being the only Big Sky football school to offer it, but I saw it more as a reactive move to stay competitive in the recruiting footprint of the Dakota schools.

So UND was third in all of FCS to offer it.  How lazy.

• Upvote 1

On 7/3/2017 at 8:54 PM, SiouxVolley said:

This coming year has been carefully planned out for a decade.  Dropping baseball had everything to do with taking over the Summit with new football teams, but admittedly I don't have proof.

:lol: Lets see???? You were in the BSC conference for what???  5 whole years. Which according to you guys were the best conference in the whole world for you guys. Before that the Great West. So during all of that time youve been pining to get in the MVFC and the Summit? :lol:  Hmmmm where during this grand plan were you going to wiggle your move to FBS?

Thats the problem with lies. Youve told so many you cant keep track of them all .  :0

16 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Kennedy is planning a demo and remodel, and the Slummit will be a true Summit when we get in.

Research and academics matter.  IUPUI wasn't wanted according to your bisonvile pals, but the Horizon Presidents sure wanted their academics.

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/7/12/15960170/

That's why Big Sky Presidents of academic and research universities want a better league that they can do business with in things other than athletics.  College presidents and athletics conferences have more exclusive dynamics than wealthy country clubs.

:lol:

18 hours ago, BisonCardinal said:

You lost me there, unless carefully planned out = reactive for a decade. 

" ... carefully planned out ... " is a bit strong for me. 

A vision. A dream. Something that if opportunities presented, it was edged towards, sure.

There is an Internet rumor that EIU will end their men's soccer program after this season is over.  EIU saw a 25% decrease in freshman last year and a 13% overall drop.  Since EIU depends on student fees, something must be cut.

It's a big deal to the Summit as it would leave them with 5 men's soccer teams, and men's soccer is one of their designate team sports that keeps the men's autobid alive.  Losing IPFW would be worse as IPFW is a key school for the two team sports, baseball and men's soccer.  But EIU men's soccer is still critical, as the MAC and MVC have been scarfing up men's soccer affiliates - SIU-E just went to the MAC for the sport as Buffalo dropped it.  But losing either EIU men's soccer or IPFW or WIU or Omaha or ORU would put the Summit in an existential crisis.

The Summit just needs to sponsor football and all this baseball and men's soccer crap don't matter to the Summit Leagues mbb autobid anymore.

Depending on Illinois universities for anything right now seems foolhardy at best for any league riding the margins of membership. 

The Summit sponsoring football would solve many of their "membership to maintain the MBB autobid" issues. Remember: the Summit has been down this road once before (getting  a waiver while Omaha became a full DI and baseball member). 

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Depending on Illinois universities for anything right now seems foolhardy at best for any league riding the margins of membership. 

The Summit sponsoring football would solve many of their "membership to maintain the MBB autobid" issues. Remember: the Summit has been down this road once before (getting  a waiver while Omaha became a full DI and baseball member). 

Illinois saved itself temporarily from ruin as the leftists rammed through a large tax increase.  The middle class and rich will have even more $ reasons to exit to Indiana and Wisconsin and Texas and Florida.  The poor directional U's don't have real endowments or anything so parents get cheaper out of state tuition than from in state Illinois directionals.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Illinois saved itself temporarily from ruin as the leftists rammed through a large tax increase.  The middle class and rich will have even more $ reasons to exit to Indiana and Wisconsin and Texas and Florida.  The poor directional U's don't have real endowments or anything so parents get cheaper out of state tuition than from in state Illinois directionals.

exactly....just kicking the can down the road for the next guy

So the Western Illinois AD basically admits that they are looking to get out of the Summit, but doesn't want to cause panic among his fans.  "But to say we will bury our heads in the sand and not pay attention to everything else going on, I think from a realignment standpoint would be silly."   Earlier, he stakes that IPFW is effectively gone, as the Horizon wants more schools.

So W Ill is looking at the OVC (the only conference that would take them) and IPFW will get its Horizon walking papers, and Omaha is looking.  That doesn't portend well for the Summit unless it has Big Sky schools already set to move.

http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20170714/western-facing-conference-changes

9 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

So the Western Illinois AD basically admits that they are looking to get out of the Summit, but doesn't want to cause panic among his fans.  "But to say we will bury our heads in the sand and not pay attention to everything else going on, I think from a realignment standpoint would be silly."   Earlier, he stakes that IPFW is effectively gone, as the Horizon wants more schools.

So W Ill is looking at the OVC (the only conference that would take them) and IPFW will get its Horizon walking papers, and Omaha is looking.  That doesn't portend well for the Summit unless it has Big Sky schools already set to move.

How is ORU still in the Summit, they left then came back, why? No other school is close to Tulsa.

13 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

He didn't say that.  He said what every AD at every other school in the conference would say.  He said they are a good fit for their current conferences but have to mindful of the ever changing landscape.  That's a fair assessment. 

The only AD's in the country who can say they are rock solid with where they are at and will never leave are those AD's in the Big Ten and SEC.  For everybody else, money talks, and you can never say never.

On 7/23/2017 at 5:41 PM, SiouxVolley said:

There is an Internet rumor that EIU will end their men's soccer program after this season is over.  EIU saw a 25% decrease in freshman last year and a 13% overall drop.  Since EIU depends on student fees, something must be cut.

It's a big deal to the Summit as it would leave them with 5 men's soccer teams, and men's soccer is one of their designate team sports that keeps the men's autobid alive.  Losing IPFW would be worse as IPFW is a key school for the two team sports, baseball and men's soccer.  But EIU men's soccer is still critical, as the MAC and MVC have been scarfing up men's soccer affiliates - SIU-E just went to the MAC for the sport as Buffalo dropped it.  But losing either EIU men's soccer or IPFW or WIU or Omaha or ORU would put the Summit in an existential crisis.

The Summit just needs to sponsor football and all this baseball and men's soccer crap don't matter to the Summit Leagues mbb autobid anymore.

Eastern Illinois is in the OVC.  Did you mean Western Illinois?

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

He didn't say that.  He said what every AD at every other school in the conference would say.  He said they are a good fit for their current conferences but have to mindful of the ever changing landscape.  That's a fair assessment. 

The only AD's in the country who can say they are rock solid with where they are at and will never leave are those AD's in the Big Ten and SEC.  For everybody else, money talks, and you can never say never.

He's "reading between the lines" as he always does. This is the same individual who states, as fact, that UND are joining the Summit as part of a decade long plan to "take it over" and remake it. My guess is that even UND fans think he's nuts.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jacksfan29 said:

He's "reading between the lines" as he always does. This is the same individual who states, as fact, that UND are joining the Summit as part of a decade long plan to "take it over" and remake it. My guess is that even UND fans think he's nuts.

This is the same Jack fan that will lose any shred of credility if the Summit loses another school as he has said that the Summit is stable.  He's lashing out at me because he wants to remain credible, even though he called UND hockey a niche sport that is not relevant in the Dakotas except for mindless UND grads.

To Yote 53 and jacksfan29...

USD and SDSU are probably the most committed institutions in the Summit. How do you see the Summit surviving? What do you think the plan is to stabilize?

I'm not trolling, but really concerned that UND is moving to a 'convenient travel' conference that has a history of struggling to stay full. Is there a possibility of poaching other D-I schools (whether it is No Colorado, Montanas, etc)? Will the Summit merge with another conference (MVC, WAC)? Are there D-II move-ups (realizing that there is a considerable transition period before they 'count')?

would like to hear your perspectives.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

This is the same Jack fan that will lose any shred of credility if the Summit loses another school as he has said that the Summit is stable.  He's lashing out at me because he wants to remain credible, even though he called UND hockey a niche sport that is not relevant in the Dakotas except for mindless UND grads.

Him not having any credibility doesn't give you any credibility.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Him not having any credibility doesn't give you any credibility.

Knew that was coming from your clueless self.  You should go out for drinks with your Jack fan buddy as your both in Colorado.  But he hates hockey so much of your conversation ability disappears, so you'll have to talk about how much a rival IUPUI was.   Maybe his comment about mindless UND grad hockey fans only applies to you?

4 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Mostly AD's would say their committed to a conference for the foreseeable future, even if they clearly are  not.  The Western Illinois AD said they would not keep their head in the sand.  Big difference in response.

The Montanas and Idaho are waiting for IPFW and W Illinois to leave.  I'm not wishing for the destruction of the Summit, only for the eastern teams to leave.  You are one of the few outside posters that understands how stable a Summit of the Dakotas, Montana, Idaho and Denver would be, so I have to to give you major credit for that.

19 hours ago, zonadub said:

To Yote 53 and jacksfan29...

USD and SDSU are probably the most committed institutions in the Summit. How do you see the Summit surviving? What do you think the plan is to stabilize?

I'm not trolling, but really concerned that UND is moving to a 'convenient travel' conference that has a history of struggling to stay full. Is there a possibility of poaching other D-I schools (whether it is No Colorado, Montanas, etc)? Will the Summit merge with another conference (MVC, WAC)? Are there D-II move-ups (realizing that there is a considerable transition period before they 'count')?

would like to hear your perspectives.

Honestly, I think our futures lay to the west.  I just don't see how there is any other way. 

The first phase was getting the Dakota 4 together to stabilize our relationships and also to show other conferences/schools just how committed we all are to athletics, show them the rivalries and the atmospheres that are created when our teams get together.  Look at the Summit League Tournament in Sioux Falls, look at the great crowds at our football games.

Now the second phase will begin.  Some would say that we could create the NCC 2.0 at the D1 level.  Problem is to do that we need more schools, and Mankato, Augie, etc. aren't moving up.  So maybe UNC joins us along with WIU.  Problem is what is in it for UNC, they've got a good setup in the BSC.  Besides, we'd need more than just WIU and UNC, 6 isn't enough.  The MVC side of the MVFC is not going to join up with us for an all sports conference, or ever let us in the MVC, so forget about that.  So what are the remaining options?  I believe it is with the Montanas, EWU, and Idaho.  The reason is that conference with those schools, the Dakotas, and DU would instantly be the best FCS conference in the country and a high major conference in basketball.  The schools share the same ideals.  It's just a good fit.  But what would make those Sky schools want to do such a thing?  Well, I see the current BSC as having become diluted with some weaker schools.  It's not the same BSC as when Boise State and Nevada were there.  Joining with the Dakota 4 would hit the reset button on that for the Montanas, etc. 

One of 2 things is going to happen, NCC 2.0 or the Big North Conference.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Honestly, I think our futures lay to the west.  I just don't see how there is any other way. 

The first phase was getting the Dakota 4 together to stabilize our relationships and also to show other conferences/schools just how committed we all are to athletics, show them the rivalries and the atmospheres that are created when our teams get together.  Look at the Summit League Tournament in Sioux Falls, look at the great crowds at our football games.

Now the second phase will begin.  Some would say that we could create the NCC 2.0 at the D1 level.  Problem is to do that we need more schools, and Mankato, Augie, etc. aren't moving up.  So maybe UNC joins us along with WIU.  Problem is what is in it for UNC, they've got a good setup in the BSC.  Besides, we'd need more than just WIU and UNC, 6 isn't enough.  The MVC side of the MVFC is not going to join up with us for an all sports conference, or ever let us in the MVC, so forget about that.  So what are the remaining options?  I believe it is with the Montanas, EWU, and Idaho.  The reason is that conference with those schools, the Dakotas, and DU would instantly be the best FCS conference in the country and a high major conference in basketball.  The schools share the same ideals.  It's just a good fit.  But what would make those Sky schools want to do such a thing?  Well, I see the current BSC as having become diluted with some weaker schools.  It's not the same BSC as when Boise State and Nevada were there.  Joining with the Dakota 4 would hit the reset button on that for the Montanas, etc. 

I have said this before but I would love this to happen! It makes a lot of sense and would essentially shield all of us from inevitable conference realignment down the road.

22 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Guessing the bold above was a bit of a typo. It could be a true mid major though.