SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

The thing with NMSU is that they could just be happy with being in the WAC and in their minds be a easier path to march madness for basketball. 

This might be a unpopular take, but if UND ever had to start a mens sport for whatever reason, I'd go with soccer. That's not a knock on baseball, that's just looking into the future.

14 hours ago, FargoBison said:

The Big North concept is solid on paper but in reality you have a school like Montana that is extremely conservative when it comes to realignment. They have had opportunities to leave, yet they stick around. That gives me doubt since they are the big piece that you would need to get to make it work. 

I'm not sure who is panic stricken in the Summit, IPFW maybe since they are out on the island now but they don't really have anywhere to go. People like to talk about the Horizon or MVC getting bigger but neither of those leagues make bold moves. The MVC especially has been pretty small-time in their realignment philosophy. Maybe that changes but both of them made the most predictable and safe choice in who they just added. 

So in your opinion, what moves does the Summit make? I would be shocked if IFPW was still around by the time UND comes in next year. I don't think it would hurt to send out a feeler out to the Montana schools, but there would be a lot that would be needed to work out.

I just realized there a wholly simple solution:

Disband the MVFC.
Yes, disband the MVFC. 

Before heads explode ... 

Reform it in the Summit League by having the Summit offer football as a sponsored sport:

Full members (2020): UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, WIU
Affilitates: UNI*, ISU*, ISU*, SIU*, MoSU*, YSU

Done. 

The Summit would offer FB and MBB and secure their MBB autobid.

And this does zero damage to the MVC as the MVFC is not the MVC.
The MVC has enough sports and teams that their MBB autobid is in no jeopardy. 

The Summit and MVC both keep MBB autobids (aka NCAA money). 

And the "Summit FB" champ would get an FCS FB bid (the old MVFC bid). 

*MVC members. 

• Upvote 2

Chicago St only has until next year in the WAC.  They had a contract for membership which expires next year, which is very unusual.  With 86 freshmen students, most of them athletes, millions in debt, and Illinois almost bankrupt and now not paying lottery winners, it's not a good bet.  GCU is a full member this year and Cal Baptist is coming aboard.

The four most valuable schools in the Summit are:

IPFW, W Illinois, Omaha, and ORU.

They are most valuable because they have both men's soccer and baseball.  If any one leaves, the Summit is in Big trouble.  If any two leave, the Summit has to add football schools to save it.

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Disband the MVFC.
Yes, disband the MVFC. 

Before heads explode ... 

Reform it in the Summit League by having the Summit offer football as a sponsored sport:

Done. 

This does zero damage to the MVC as the MVFC is not the MVC. The MVC has enough sports and teams that their MBB is in no jeopardy. 

*MVC members. 

That's actually a brilliant idea. So simple and easy that it will never be considered haha

6 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

That's actually a brilliant idea. So simple and easy that it will never be considered haha

Yup. :D 

Heck, you could even keep the "MVFC" name as a DBA. Officially it is Summit League football; but call it, trade name it, the "MVFC". The MVFC webpage would redirect to the Summit league FB page. 

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Obviously, the "Great North" concept would be ideal.  However, with Douple leading the charge, I fully expect the Summit to poach Chicago State and UMKC from the WAC.  Basketball tourney will rotate between Sioux Falls and Kansas City to sweeten the pot for UMKC.

I realize Douple is hated by UND fans but really? His last add before UND was DU. Pretty crappy choice there. I also always think that those who don't understand should be educated. No schools will be sought after or added by Douple. His job is to provide recommendations to the member schools who make the decisions. SDSU and NDSU, the league powers will never add CSU and the last time UMKC talked about getting back in, they were told no.

SS fans need to stop panicking. I get that SiouxVolley gets all of you riled but 99% of the time his comments are way off the mark. He is slowly becoming LakesBison. Just head over to egriz and see the mess he created over there.

The HL has spoken and they have said the same thing as the MVC. Both leagues are playing small ball, especially the HL. LeCrone can say what he wants. There is no member school in the HL who are interested in growing out side their footprint or growing to 14 or 16 teams. Would they consider 12? Some will some will not. If they do go to 12 it will be IPFW and RMU. Relax. 

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Detroit News said IUPUI could now host the Horizon tournament in the Pacers arena, as the swanky new Little Caesars Arena in Detroit could host future B1G tournaments.  It also said the Horizon could go to 16 schools.

The Detroit News also had the wrong school being added to the HL. In fact, they didn't even mention IUPUI until it was a foregone conclusion that the Jags were the team. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Disband the MVFC.
Yes, disband the MVFC. 

Before heads explode ... 

Done. 

*MVC members. 

I very well could happen. Most of the MVC schools want nothing to do with FB and getting ISUb and SIU to vote for the change may not be too difficult. The MVC schools who play FB signaled their feelings when UND were added. The Summit schools were told that if they wanted to invite UND the MVC schools didn't really care. I would not be surprised if the Summit took over the MVFC.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Disband the MVFC.
Yes, disband the MVFC. 

Before heads explode ... 

Done. 

*MVC members. 

an offshoot of this would be for the mvc to add the dak 4 as full mvc members and merge mvc/mvfc into the mvc brand...some summit schools close (illinois schools) and some go to the wac, horizon, or ovc...(i do think that by adding montana as non conf games says a lot about montana not going east towards the dak schools)

the summit finally dies

28 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

I realize Douple is hated by UND fans but really? His last add before UND was DU. Pretty crappy choice there. I also always think that those who don't understand should be educated. No schools will be sought after or added by Douple. His job is to provide recommendations to the member schools who make the decisions. SDSU and NDSU, the league powers will never add CSU and the last time UMKC talked about getting back in, they were told no.

SS fans need to stop panicking. I get that SiouxVolley gets all of you riled but 99% of the time his comments are way off the mark. He is slowly becoming LakesBison. Just head over to egriz and see the mess he created over there.

The HL has spoken and they have said the same thing as the MVC. Both leagues are playing small ball, especially the HL. LeCrone can say what he wants. There is no member school in the HL who are interested in growing out side their footprint or growing to 14 or 16 teams. Would they consider 12? Some will some will not. If they do go to 12 it will be IPFW and RMU. Relax. 

DU joined the the Summit because they weren't requiring them to add any sports like the MVC was and there was no way they were going to stay in the disaster known as the WAC. If Douple isn't out looking for new members, then he isn't doing his job.

I don't buy into the notion that things are on tilt quite yet, but you're being completely naive by ignoring the fact that the two required men's team sports (baseball and soccer) are at the bare minimum to qualify. On top of that, the now most eastern-isolated member, who may very well be looking to join the Horizon League at the drop of a hat, happens to sponsor both of those sports and them leaving would put the Summit League on the clock for not one, but both team sports. A D-2 move-up has no chance of helping at this point and there isn't a lot of attractive options that are pounding at the Summit's door. Maybe he has a rabbit up his sleeve. Last time the big reveal was ORU came back from the Southland and saved the baseball autobid. We'll see what it is this time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jacksfan29 said:

The Detroit News also had the wrong school being added to the HL. In fact, they didn't even mention IUPUI until it was a foregone conclusion that the Jags were the team. 

That was the newspaper that broke the IUPUI story, has said the Horizon is considering 16, and IUPUI was wanted to host the Horizon League.  In the mean time, the bunny board was predicting Horizon and MVC schools moving to the Summit because Sioux Falls delivers a fantastic atmosphere to SDSU.  Get off your high bunny.

I watched the IUPUI press conference later, and it was interesting how the Chancellor said an often asked question over the years "is how long before IUPUI gets in the Horizon?"  IPFW is under even more pressure to make a move now.  Much of the talk was about how Indianapolis is the capital of college sports and IUPUI has great venues with Indy to host.  There was talk too about the burden of a league like the Summit with teams so far away and that now maybe their fans will have to make the Horizon tournament without spending a weekend in wintry Sioux Falls so far away.  Indy used to be practically the center of the Summit and now it is an outpost.

50 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Augie could drop football and start men's soccer.  Problem solved.  Get Morningside too.:xmas:

Minus the 4 year wait until they're eligible. I'm sure Douple still has the request for eligibility extension form somewhere in his desk though.

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Minus the 4 year wait until they're eligible. I'm sure Douple still has the request for eligibility extension form somewhere in his desk though.

Yup. If they announced today, they'd be a DI member on June 1, 2022. 

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

If the SL football conference were to start is there a set number of years before they can get an autobid? Going into another GWFC situation sucks.

It only takes two years for football. But if NDSU, SDSU and USD join the Big Sky for fb only, and then break off two years later as a Summit Football League, they would have an immediate FCS autobid.