SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

On 5/17/2017 at 9:44 PM, SiouxVolley said:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/may/12/ewu-initiates-process-to-examine-fundraising-prosp/

So why is EWU so concerned about keeping up with the Montanas in the facilities race if everything will stay status quo, as numerous trolls and posters have said?  But in the very slight chance that those schools are moving to the Slummit and FBS, then is a very big deal for EWU.  EWU has been fundraising for some time for an alternative stadium or bigger Roos, but just hasn't made headway.

That's not keeping up. That's trying to get a facility that's actually FCS quality. 

9 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

all this "big North" conference stuff...i hope ewu isn't included in it at all..i would take portland and or sac town over them

Uhh no.   Those two schools are marginal at best.  Commuter colleges with very little following.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Uhh no.   Those two schools are marginal at best.  Commuter colleges with very little following.

portland..

much bigger city

way better fb stadium

more students

way bigger endowment

way better logo too

ill take portland over ewu any day.

Carr Sports was in Bozeman in May reviewing Mont State's facilities, and writing a strategic report on what Montana State needs to do, like building an attached IPF to their stadium so its can be co-used as a warming house and hospitality area during games and reworking some grandstands.  Coincidentally, Carr Sports has advised many of the recent FCS to FBS moveups on how to strategically prepare. They are often used when schools move up a notch.  Troy, Texas St and UTSA used their advise on their FBS moves.

Carr Sports' website lists NDSU, SDSU and UND as being recent clients.

20 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Carr Sports was in Bozeman in May reviewing Mont State's facilities, and writing a strategic report on what Montana State needs to do, like building an attached IPF to their stadium so its can be co-used as a warming house and hospitality area during games and reworking some grandstands.  Coincidentally, Carr Sports has advised many of the recent FCS to FBS moveups on how to strategically prepare. They are often used when schools move up a notch.  Troy, Texas St and UTSA used their advise on their FBS moves.

For this post, Planet Earth has declared you winner of the fishing derby.

Some fans that will be forever clueless.  Look up Carr Sports.  No school says they will be moving up before they contact Carr but everyone announces major new reclassification plans soon after they have consulted with them.  Thats exactly what happened with Carr Sports and UND the last time. There were fans here that lambasted UND's leadership at the time when I said UND would go DI years before they went.  After Carr visited, it was a matter of months before the announcement.  Even UAB dropped fb as a result of meeting with Carr, and then had a quick meeting to clean up the mess UAB's President left.  It's all very confidential business meetings and report writing.  But somehow things always happen after Carr meets with athletics departments.

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Some fans that will be forever clueless.  Look up Carr Sports.  No school says they will be moving up before they contact Carr but everyone announces major new reclassification plans soon after they have consulted with them.  Thats exactly what happened with Carr Sports and UND the last time. There were fans here that lambasted UND's leadership at the time when I said UND would go DI years before they went.  After Carr visited, it was a matter of months before the announcement.  Even UAB dropped fb as a result of meeting with Carr, and then had a quick meeting to clean up the mess UAB's President left.  It's all very confidential business meetings and report writing.  But somehow things always happen after Carr meets with athletics departments.

You're special.  

6 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

...everyone announces major new reclassification plans soon after they have consulted with them.  

Clemsen had Carr come in in 2009. Why didn't they make some big move?

Perhaps because Carr does significantly more than just analyze move up possibilities?  

Your fantasies continue to be proven false. I'm glad I don't have the "vision" you have. I couldn't handle being that wrong all the time. 

23 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Yes...for the D2 to D1 moves. 

Or are you implying that they are recent clients for a FCS to FBS move?

@SiouxVolley, can you answer this question for me regarding your comment on Carr Sports? Just want to be sure I'm understanding correctly.

Recent clients for a FBS move for all 3 schools you mentioned?

Someone posted this map over at http://csnbbs.com/thread-818307.html

n56y8.jpg

Really gives some perspective on the great divide between east and west.  I still say, if Douple is wise, he will be thinking about getting UNC and starting Summit football.  It would protect the autobids and solidify the conference.  I also believe that UNI would jump ship at some point and join the Summit.  It would not happen for a while, due to the money and perceived strength in the MVC, but they will come.

UNC gets beat up on a lot of the forums for under performing since transitioning to Division I.  Maybe what they need is to get back with their old NCC buddies.  While Greeley is often put down, it is a growing metro with potential.  I am in construction and do projects with Hensel Phelps, one of the larger general contractors in the country, and they are based in Greeley.

• Upvote 1

Wow no kidding...

Greeley Historical population

Census Pop.  
1870 480  
1880 1,297   170.2%
1890 2,395   84.7%
1900 3,023   26.2%
1910 8,179   170.6%
1920 10,958   34.0%
1930 12,203   11.4%
1940 15,995   31.1%
1950 20,354   27.3%
1960 26,314   29.3%
1970 38,902   47.8%
1980 53,006   36.3%
1990 60,536   14.2%
2000 76,930   27.1%
2010 92,889   20.7%
Est. 2015 100,883 [18] 8.6%

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Based on that map, I'd start a new conference with:

UND, NDSU

USD, SDSU

Montana, Montana State

Idaho, EWU

UNO, DU

Idaho State, Weber or Portland State, Seattle or both

If we are dreaming...

UND

NDSU

USD

SDSU

Montana

Montana State

Idaho

Idaho State

Wyoming

Denver

9 football / 10 basketball

• Upvote 1

http://www.tribtoday.com/sports/sport-columns/2017/05/change-on-horizon-after-valpo-exit/

The Horizon will stay at 9 members for next season but Commissioner LeCrone states that they will go to at least 12 later.  The Horizon has studied going to 16.

Downtown Fort Wayne is getting a modern 5600 seat arena for basketball and concerts, which was just approved this winter, so they seem inevitably gone from tSL.  War Memorial Coliseum was a much larger venue downtown where IPFW played sometimes.  When the Horizon expands to 12 or more tSL won't have eastern time zone teams anymore, for the first time ever.

On 5/21/2017 at 1:25 AM, SiouxVolley said:

On 5/21/2017 at 8:22 AM, UNDvince97-01 said:

Yes...for the D2 to D1 moves. 

Or are you implying that they are recent clients for a FCS to FBS move?

On 5/22/2017 at 7:53 AM, UNDvince97-01 said:

@SiouxVolley, can you answer this question for me regarding your comment on Carr Sports? Just want to be sure I'm understanding correctly.

Recent clients for a FBS move for all 3 schools you mentioned?

Bump...

6 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Bump...

Does it matter?  Carr Sports would have given nearly the same strategy ten years ago as it would today to go FBS.  The only difference is the conference, as the WAC was the only possible route ten years ago.  Now with FBS waivers like for Liberty, any conference with eight aspirational FCS schools and with FBS capable facilities can go.  All of the "Great Northern" schools mentioned need some group of like schools to take the plunge with them, as they need similar scheduling partners to make it financially.   Few schools can ever be financially independent at FBS long term, and Liberty has already successfully filled their FBS schedule for a couple years at a huge expense.  The MWC for Montana or NDSU would bankrupt them as SDiegoSU or Colo St or UNM have more than double the resources.  The MWC isn't interested in them anyway, just like the MVC isn't interested in Dakota schools.

Gene Roebuck said when he retired that by 2020 UND would be in the WAC.  Replace WAC with FBS, as that is the aim of that comment.  Leaders have to be looking at least ten years down the road, or they are not leaders.  It would have been a dereliction of duty for an AD to not have tentative plans if an opportunity with bona fide regional and similar schools presented itself.

23 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

They CLEARLY need to fire more administrators and the president needs to cut his salary.

They even dropped big, bad Football before the move to D1 and still are worse off than most athletic departments.