SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Losing Valpo and UWMilw takes them to eight; lose UWGB makes seven and a conference can't live long at seven. 

Yeah, I think they would take a look at the Indiana schools but I guess my point is those schools won't do a lot for GB. If the Summit could trade the Indiana schools for GB and UMKC that would be a nice swap. 

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Precisely.

Wouldn't count out Wichita St fb, as they want to be full AAC members eventually.  Also, if NMSU doesn't have an  FBS invite, they might need to join.

Left out the XDSU's as they thought they were MVC material and it be hilarious if we went FBS first.

Do you have a link where it shows NDSU admin was pursuing MVC membership? All Ive seen is fan talk of possibilities.

only problem with the "big north" proposal is that is seems that the two montanas are really really comfortable where they are and have no plans to do otherwise...i'm sure idaho talked in their ear for the year leading up to idaho rejoining the bsc and they still said "naw, were good."

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

only problem with the "big north" proposal is that is seems that the two montanas are really really comfortable where they are and have no plans to do otherwise...i'm sure idaho talked in their ear for the year leading up to idaho rejoining the bsc and they still said "naw, were good."

If the Montanas are comfortable in the BSC, why'd Idaho have their entry contract to the BSC include the "easy out" clause that if the Montanas and UND weren't in the BSC on their scheduled date to join they could walk away. 

That says to me Idaho was worried that the Montanas might not be in the BSC on 7/1/2014 (their join date). 

2 hours ago, jacksfan29 said:

Wright State are actually strengthening their athletic department and increasing spending. A school looking to drop athletics doesn't do that. 

Um, with exactly what money? It's so bad their president bailed last month (three months early before planned retirement). 

https://www.google.com/search?q=wright+state+athletics+budget&oq=wright+state+athletics+budget&aqs=chrome..69i57j0j69i60.7464j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 

3 hours ago, bison73 said:

Do you have a link where it shows NDSU admin was pursuing MVC membership? All Ive seen is fan talk of possibilities.

Asshattery.  Do you honestly believe that NDSU admin are sitting around twiddling thumbs before the Slummit Burns?  I give your admin more credit than you do.  The stupidity never ends from you.

Either upgrade the Slummit or bail, as 32 teams have done. No college admin is satisfied with a bottom conference unless they are vagrants just wanting dance money.  NDSU fans won't stand for that.

3 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Asshattery.  Do you honestly believe that NDSU admin are sitting around twiddling thumbs before the Slummit Burns?  I give your admin more credit than you do.  The stupidity never ends from you.

Either upgrade the Slummit or bail, as 32 teams have done. No college admin is satisfied with a bottom conference unless they are vagrants just wanting dance money.  NDSU fans won't stand for that.

If you dont have that information. Why didnt you say so.  :lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Planet earth would like to remind you that UND is joining the summit and fans are standing for it.

• Upvote 1

So this is how it's going to come down.

The Slummit will be desperate for teams, as at least one or two of the eastern schools will leave in the aftermath of the MVC and Horizon expanding.

The Slummit approaches Idaho and the Montanas among others.

Idaho's President is having quite the trouble with FBS backers there, and donations and interest is way down.

Idaho publicly states that if the Slummit can get support for moving up to FBS with at least 8 fb playing teams, the Vandals are in. The Idaho President suddenly becomes a hero there and suddenly donations go way up.

To get eight teams, the Montanas are approached publicly.  The Montanas hem and haw, but they agree for academic reasons that they like the Slummit better and it would be the only way they can afford FBS, because the MWC is way too expensive to compete in.

EWU says they will make it work, as they are still in a stadium fundraising.  They need the Montanas and Idaho.

NDSU says yes right away.  The SD schools say if this is the only way to save the Slummit, they are in.

UND says the only was they can go FBS is with a major stadium donation.  Within weeks, it happens.

Denver stays because it likes the footprint.  Whatever school left of IPFW, IUPUI, or W Ill suddenly inquires of the OVC and get a spot.

ORU chooses to go to the WAC because is has better basketball potential than the Southland.  If Omaha is still in the Slummit, it can choose the WAC or stay.

Weber St expresses some interest, but doesn't join until later.

NMSU would join once a FBS transition is complete for the league, which will be several years.

Wichita St joins for fb only, as it needs a starting point and teams to transition with.

The core eight teams finally provide a stable conference as none of them will get interest from other leagues for decades.

This was all prepared years ago, not seat-of-the-pants Internet message board stuff.

Those of you who don't like predictions shouldn't be on Siouxsports anyway, because the board is meant for discussion, not merely news which you can get from the Herald or UNDsports.

7 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Weird that this was "prepared years ago" and yet you're just getting wind of it now.  Was it as prepared as your UND to the WAC?  Or was that preparation different?  

Just trying to keep track of all of your predictions.

As FargoBison said, the WAC just had too many moving parts.  As The Sicatoka said, the NCAA has relaxed is FCS to FBS rules by allowing Liberty to move up without an FBS conference invite.  As an investor, most often companies have to changes plans as the regulations change, but you wouldn't know anything about that.

I suspect there will be at least one other conference moving up within a few years:  part of the CAA.  

IPFW has been evaluating whether to even stay DI, or dropping back to DII or even DIII .

Not sure what has happened since last December.

http://www.ipfwcommunicator.org/students-speak-out-about-the-sports-budget/

Would imagine a bus league like the Horizon would be cheaper.  If they were the only eastern team in the Slummit left, they might be forced dropping down financially.

5 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

What are UND's obligations moving forward in regards to the Summit and MVFC?  Has UND signed papers obligating UND to those conferences legally?  Has UND made payments?  If the Summit blows up, can UND fall back to the Big Sky?  

Some one would have to get a hold of those signing papers.  Schools usually put in an "out" if their smart about it.

after reading some reports about potential replacements for wsu...

1. these mvc beat writers are delusional...the mvc will be a one bid league for a long time regardless if they add valpo, murray, omaha, und, milwakee...

2. being an fcs football school ( or heck even a d1 hockey sponsoring school) is seen as a bad/ foolish thing in the non-fb schools minds...

3. summit needs to make a move...now.

• Upvote 2