Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Sicatoka

Conference Realignments - Take 2

4,029 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Think Robert Morris will get a look too, but at least one of the IP's will be gone.

Wright State has significant budget issues right now. Some quarters are claiming one option is elimination of intercollegiate athletics. 

Should that happen, and Valpo and Milw, the Horizon would need to go shopping for three, and the logicals again are IUPUI, IPFW, and Robert Morris. However, historically, Bobby Mo has looked east for conference. 

10 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Precisely.

Wouldn't count out Wichita St fb, as they want to be full AAC members eventually.  Also, if NMSU doesn't have an  FBS invite, they might need to join.

Left out the XDSU's as they thought they were MVC material and it be hilarious if we went FBS first.

This is where you get yourself in trouble. You can't really believe your WAC fantasy is the same as a conference with the four Dakota, two Montana, Idaho as anchors is the same as us moving to the WAC and having to accept the dregs in that conference for all our Olympic Sports? 

As for the XDSU's being MVC material. You do see who they are going after? The MVC are going for mediocrity and schools that do not threaten the status quo. Several writers, Bradley's especially has been adamant about not adding the XDSU's out of the fear that the conference would become FB centric. The privates hate FB with a passion. If they had their choice the public schools would drop the sport or leave the league.

In addition, at least in the case of SDSU I'm pretty sure our AD has some good insight into the MVC today v the past. Sell came from UNI, had a chance to go back to UNI and apply for their open AD job when Troy Dannen left. He chose to stay at SDSU. If the Valley our king, why do you think that is?

Of the schools being mentioned Valpo is the only school which still has a good BB program, though minus a Drew at the helm we will see how long they stay successful. All four schools, including Valpo have major issues whether it be facilities (Valpo/Murray), a screwed up athletic department (UWM) or major financial issues with no track record of success (Omaha). Do you wonder why they are only looking at those schools? The list gets approved by the school President's and each school needs 7 votes of the 9. WSU left the Valley because the conference schools had accepted, and even promoted mediocrity. CU had been looking to bolt long before the Big East came calling. What is left in the MVC, outside of maybe UNI and ISUr is not great. And those two schools have financial pressures even UND do not have.

UND will not go FBS before either XDSU. Neither XDSU will go FBS before UND. If FBS ever occurs it will be a very different FBS then you see today. The ESPN mess is going to push the P5 to act soon to consolidate revenues meaning the G5, other then maybe the AAC and MWC (who the P5 need) are in serious trouble. Relax, the Summit is not dying. The MVFC is fine as is the BSC, for now. UND are no where close to having the facilities to move up. Neither is USD. Both have time to get ready. Things will change eventually, the XDSU's are ready, UND and USD will be ready by the time they need to be. Be patient.

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Wright State has significant budget issues right now. Some quarters are claiming one option is elimination of intercollegiate athletics. 

Should that happen, and Valpo and Milw, the Horizon would need to go shopping for three, and the logicals again are IUPUI, IPFW, and Robert Morris. However, historically, Bobby Mo has looked east for conference. 

Wright State are not dropping athletics. Just because a fan boy states it online doesn't mean it is true. And I know what "quarters" you are talking about. The same person posted the rumor three years ago. There is an agenda there, who knows what it is but their is an agenda. Wright State are actually strengthening their athletic department and increasing spending. A school looking to drop athletics doesn't do that. 

And it is likely neither IUPUI or IPFW ever goes to the Horizon. They have been passed over so many times they don't even try any more. I would say it is more likely for UWM and Green Bay to end up in the Summit then both Indiana schools are in the Horizon. You and SV really have to stop.

The WAC idea had way too many moving pieces. 

The Summit/Big North idea is somewhat simpler but still requires a lot of things happening. 

I think Milwaukee will be the 12th, I don't know what school in the MVC would even push for Omaha. UNI is the closest public school and I think they would prefer Milwaukee since Wisconsin is a big recruiting area for them. 

If the Horizon loses Valpo and Milwaukee could the Summit make a run at GB? 

5 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

If the Horizon loses Valpo and Milwaukee could the Summit make a run at GB? 

Wouldn't that trigger a Horizon run at IUPUI and IPFW? 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Wouldn't that trigger a Horizon run at IUPUI and IPFW? 

It might but losing Milwaukee and Valpo are two pretty big blows for that league. Leaving GB kind of isolated. 

3 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

It might but losing Milwaukee and Valpo are two pretty big blows for that league. Leaving GB kind of isolated. 

Losing Valpo and UWMilw takes them to eight; lose UWGB makes seven and a conference can't live long at seven. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The Dakota 4 and the Montana group are a random group of schools just like the rogue's gallery that is today's WAC. In the eyes of the NCAA that's reality. Never forget that. 

SV's point in the past was that if the Dakotas and Montana group wanted to go FBS, ever, they needed the vessel called the WAC. You had to have a bona fide invite from an FBS granting conference to go FBS. The WAC had retroactive power to invite teams to FBS as that conference (forget who's in it today) was, and retains power as, an FBS conference at one time. 

Since then, the world has changed: Liberty got permission from the NCAA to go FBS without a bona fide invitation from an existing FBS conference. 

Thus, the WAC is no longer needed as the vessel, the portal, to FBS. The NCAA has set precedence. They waived Liberty through to FBS without that FBS conference invitation. 

Now the dream of a "Great North" conference no longer needs to consider how to wrest control of the WAC (and it's magic FBS granting power) away from that group of rogues. Liberty saw to that. 

Now, in this post Liberty decision world, this consortium of the Dakota 4 and the Montana group can form up and then make the same request Liberty did at the time of their choosing. 

Do you need an FBS conference invite or is it the preferred and costly way to do it?

can you not move up and be an independent like Liberty? 

Being a DI indy is not preferred. It's expensive. You're racing to make a complete schedule every year. That's why many are skeptical that NMSU will survive as an FBS indy. (Idaho chose to drop back to FCS rather than try to be an FBS indy.) 

Liberty has a shot because they're in a part of the country where there are more teams close by and available to play (and they have some wealthy folks bankrolling their gambit). 

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Losing Valpo and UWMilw takes them to eight; lose UWGB makes seven and a conference can't live long at seven. 

Yeah, I think they would take a look at the Indiana schools but I guess my point is those schools won't do a lot for GB. If the Summit could trade the Indiana schools for GB and UMKC that would be a nice swap. 

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Precisely.

Wouldn't count out Wichita St fb, as they want to be full AAC members eventually.  Also, if NMSU doesn't have an  FBS invite, they might need to join.

Left out the XDSU's as they thought they were MVC material and it be hilarious if we went FBS first.

Do you have a link where it shows NDSU admin was pursuing MVC membership? All Ive seen is fan talk of possibilities.

only problem with the "big north" proposal is that is seems that the two montanas are really really comfortable where they are and have no plans to do otherwise...i'm sure idaho talked in their ear for the year leading up to idaho rejoining the bsc and they still said "naw, were good."

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

only problem with the "big north" proposal is that is seems that the two montanas are really really comfortable where they are and have no plans to do otherwise...i'm sure idaho talked in their ear for the year leading up to idaho rejoining the bsc and they still said "naw, were good."

If the Montanas are comfortable in the BSC, why'd Idaho have their entry contract to the BSC include the "easy out" clause that if the Montanas and UND weren't in the BSC on their scheduled date to join they could walk away. 

That says to me Idaho was worried that the Montanas might not be in the BSC on 7/1/2014 (their join date). 

2 hours ago, jacksfan29 said:

Wright State are actually strengthening their athletic department and increasing spending. A school looking to drop athletics doesn't do that. 

Um, with exactly what money? It's so bad their president bailed last month (three months early before planned retirement). 

https://www.google.com/search?q=wright+state+athletics+budget&oq=wright+state+athletics+budget&aqs=chrome..69i57j0j69i60.7464j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 

3 hours ago, bison73 said:

Do you have a link where it shows NDSU admin was pursuing MVC membership? All Ive seen is fan talk of possibilities.

Asshattery.  Do you honestly believe that NDSU admin are sitting around twiddling thumbs before the Slummit Burns?  I give your admin more credit than you do.  The stupidity never ends from you.

Either upgrade the Slummit or bail, as 32 teams have done. No college admin is satisfied with a bottom conference unless they are vagrants just wanting dance money.  NDSU fans won't stand for that.

3 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Asshattery.  Do you honestly believe that NDSU admin are sitting around twiddling thumbs before the Slummit Burns?  I give your admin more credit than you do.  The stupidity never ends from you.

Either upgrade the Slummit or bail, as 32 teams have done. No college admin is satisfied with a bottom conference unless they are vagrants just wanting dance money.  NDSU fans won't stand for that.

If you dont have that information. Why didnt you say so.  :lol:

1 minute ago, bison73 said:

If you dont have that information. Why didnt you say so.  :lol:

Because Bresciani deleted his emails when I tried get to them.  :xmas:

31 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Planet earth would like to remind you that UND is joining the summit and fans are standing for it.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Because Bresciani deleted his emails when I tried get to them.  :xmas:

I'll give you credit, this is actually very plausible. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Timelines would be way off.  :D

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

It was regarding the Sioux name but asked for any emails between Bresciani and Kelley, as well as all the Presidents in the Summit and MVFC  which I named.  

So this is how it's going to come down.

The Slummit will be desperate for teams, as at least one or two of the eastern schools will leave in the aftermath of the MVC and Horizon expanding.

The Slummit approaches Idaho and the Montanas among others.

Idaho's President is having quite the trouble with FBS backers there, and donations and interest is way down.

Idaho publicly states that if the Slummit can get support for moving up to FBS with at least 8 fb playing teams, the Vandals are in. The Idaho President suddenly becomes a hero there and suddenly donations go way up.

To get eight teams, the Montanas are approached publicly.  The Montanas hem and haw, but they agree for academic reasons that they like the Slummit better and it would be the only way they can afford FBS, because the MWC is way too expensive to compete in.

EWU says they will make it work, as they are still in a stadium fundraising.  They need the Montanas and Idaho.

NDSU says yes right away.  The SD schools say if this is the only way to save the Slummit, they are in.

UND says the only was they can go FBS is with a major stadium donation.  Within weeks, it happens.

Denver stays because it likes the footprint.  Whatever school left of IPFW, IUPUI, or W Ill suddenly inquires of the OVC and get a spot.

ORU chooses to go to the WAC because is has better basketball potential than the Southland.  If Omaha is still in the Slummit, it can choose the WAC or stay.

Weber St expresses some interest, but doesn't join until later.

NMSU would join once a FBS transition is complete for the league, which will be several years.

Wichita St joins for fb only, as it needs a starting point and teams to transition with.

The core eight teams finally provide a stable conference as none of them will get interest from other leagues for decades.

This was all prepared years ago, not seat-of-the-pants Internet message board stuff.

Those of you who don't like predictions shouldn't be on Siouxsports anyway, because the board is meant for discussion, not merely news which you can get from the Herald or UNDsports.

Well if we are going to talk I am just waiting for the big ten to take all Dakota schools  just for UND hockey.