SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Actually can see the MVC going to 11 and then dropping back to 10, as Mo St is now screwed.  They might just leave for the Sun Belt anyway.  The MVC doesn't appear to be accommodating them and then attempting to keep them happy as they did with Wichita St, as ORU and UMKC got site visits to appease the Shockers.

2 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

A league with the Montana's and Idaho sounds great but I imagine the hard part would be selling it to Montana and getting them on board. 

NDSU-UND

SDSU-USD

Omaha-Denver

Montana-Montana State

Idaho-EWU

NMSU-Weber State

You could quickly build a mid-major basketball conference that would easily rival the MVC and of course be a premiere FCS league with FBS potential. 

I'd rather be in this league than the MVC.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

A league with the Montana's and Idaho sounds great but I imagine the hard part would be selling it to Montana and getting them on board. 

NDSU-UND

SDSU-USD

Omaha-Denver

Montana-Montana State

Idaho-EWU

NMSU-Weber State

You could quickly build a mid-major basketball conference that would easily rival the MVC and of course be a premiere FCS league with FBS potential. 

This was very similar to what I suggested but was lambasted for.  But it's still a good idea.

19 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

NDSU-UND

SDSU-USD

Omaha-Denver

Montana-Montana State

Idaho-EWU

NMSU-Weber State

Will be hard to get NMSU on board without FBS.

Sioux Volley's new WAC?

17 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Sioux Volley's new WAC?

This is our future conference unless we are adding Mankato and Lindenwood to the Slummit.  Think grander than that.  That WAC seems to be in our genes and is what a DI strategy was all about.

The Montanas are realizing that the Big Sky is just mostly wannabe DI's that are effectly DII's, just like WIU and the IPsoups.  The XDSU's are realizing that their are pawns to the MVC, when I'll even admit that they are above them.  The XDSU lust for the MVC is like a supermodel crush, where the supermodel only looks at wallet size and crushes them when their sizes don't match her ego.

1 hour ago, zonadub said:

Sioux Volley's new WAC?

I always liked Sioux Volley's WAC prediction.  Although my recollection is that he often advocated that idea to the exclusion the MVFC schools.  I think all the Summit/MVFC schools need to be fed up with the MVC for the WAC idea to get real traction.  Then a lot of schmoozing needs to take place to cajole the montana and idaho schools.  But I'd love it.  Short of WAC/FBS, I agree with Nodak651 that even at the FCS level, I prefer the league that has the idaho, EWU, the montanas, and the dakotas together with Denver, Omaha, NMSU, and Weber State over the Summit/MVFC.   That is a kick-butt basketball conference and an awesome FCS conference. 

48 minutes ago, professorbum said:

I always liked Sioux Volley's WAC prediction.  Although my recollection is that he often advocated that idea to the exclusion the MVFC schools.  I think all the Summit/MVFC schools need to be fed up with the MVC for the WAC idea to get real traction.  Then a lot of schmoozing needs to take place to cajole the montana and idaho schools.  But I'd love it.  Short of WAC/FBS, I agree with Nodak651 that even at the FCS level, I prefer the league that has the idaho, EWU, the montanas, and the dakotas together with Denver, Omaha, NMSU, and Weber State over the Summit/MVFC.   That is a kick-butt basketball conference and an awesome FCS conference. 

I excluded the XDSU's because their fans were convinced that the MVC had their backs, which was so deluded thinking that it was comical and deemed themselves so superior to us. UND has friends in Omaha and Denver and in the northern Big Sky.  It can be a key driver and glue for this conference.

46 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

I excluded the XDSU's because their fans were convinced that the MVC had their backs, which was so deluded thinking that it was comical and deemed themselves so superior to us. UND has friends in Omaha and Denver and in the northern Big Sky.  It can be a key driver and glue for this conference.

There's a real rift among Bison fans re: FCS vs. FBS.  It gets rather testy sometimes.   The forever-FCS/"let's play for championships"  crowd has the edge on numbers.  But I wonder if MVC expansion without the Dakotas, and all the dominos that will fall as a result, will push some people into the "let's think proactively and imagine what could be" camp.  Then who knows what could happen, especially if all four Dakota schools were of one mind.

15 hours ago, FargoBison said:

NDSU-UND
SDSU-USD
Omaha-Denver
Montana-Montana State
Idaho-EWU
NMSU-Weber State

Close ... 
Your first 10 are 8FB/10BB. That's good.
I don't see NMSU going FCS; Weber makes 10 FB and that's 9 games (unbalanced). 

If you could get that first 10 plus two to make 9FB and 12 BB it'd be great (better schedules). 
How? Easy ... 
Bring in FB only Wichita State if it starts up FCS and UMKC to be the rest of the sports in that slot.
Bring in Oral Bob (a BB only). 
UMKC/Oral Bob would be the BB travel pair

9FB / 12 BB --> 4 home/4 road FB games: 22 game BB schedule with travel pairs 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, AJS said:

Pretty big news out of the Valley

"Sources have told the Journal Star that Valley officials visited Murray State on Monday, Valparaiso on Tuesday and have campus visits set for Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Omaha."

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/20170425/mvc-visiting-campuses-of-potential-new-members

If Omaha is gone, the Slummit is screwed.  Montanas and Idaho we need you now.  If Milwaukee goes, both IP's could be gone.

The Dakotas are truly isolated.  We need the Montanas, Idaho and EWU to bookend our conference.

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

If Omaha is gone, the Slummit is screwed.  Montanas and Idaho we need you now.  If Milwaukee goes, both IP's could be gone.

my money has always been on omaha to replace wsu and im sticking with them...if they go i'm assuming the summit just calls up umkc and its business as usual and when i mean as usual i mean the revolving door called the "summit" league!

• Upvote 1

Murray State (OVC), Valpo (Horizon), UW-Milw (Horizon), and Omaha (Summit) ... 

Sounds like visit four, get three, go to twelve for BB. 

Murray State makes sense (proximity) to SIU and Evansville; Valpo for Loyola and ISU (red and blue); Milwaukee for Loyola and UNI; Omaha for Drake and UNI. 

6 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

my money has always been on omaha to replace wsu and im sticking with them...if they go i'm assuming the summit just calls up umkc and its business as usual and when i mean as usual i mean the revolving door called the "summit" league!

There's reason to believe that UMKC left the Slummit because playing the Dakotas didn't seem big time enough.

They did want KC fans to think they had gone DII.

If the MVC picks off two from the Horizon (Valpo, Milw), I have to think the Horizon puts the eyeball onto IPFW and IUPUI. 

The MVC can significantly damage the Summit directly (Omaha) or indirectly (via Horizon) in this. 

7 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

To maintain the basketball autobid, you will need to bring in another baseball playing school to replace Omaha.  That is why on a recent post I advocated bringing in Northern Colorado.  They could be travel partners with Denver.  Although, I honestly don't know much about the relationship between UNC and Denver.  Bringing in UNC also provides 6 schools paying football, which would allow for Summit football in the future.

2 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

To maintain the basketball autobid, you will need to bring in another baseball playing school to replace Omaha.  That is why on a recent post I advocated bringing in Northern Colorado.  They could be travel partners with Denver.  Although, I honestly don't know much about the relationship between UNC and Denver.  Bringing in UNC also provides 6 schools paying football, which would allow for Summit football in the future.

Bring in the Montanas and Idaho and have a flagship league.

• Upvote 2

I could see the MVC taking the three BB only schools and leaving Murray State to the OVC. 

That would damage the Horizon (Valpo, UWMilw). They'd go right after IUPUI and IPFW. That would kill a damaged (Omaha) Summit.